Lorde - Solar Power

I want to have my first listen while stoned in a nail salon to get the full experience

Oh did you?
dog GIF

Oh yes.

and certainly not those (embarrassingly expensive) VINTAGE PRADA SLIPS she keeps mentioning in her emails

no "we" didn't. and if anything this is much more like hope is a dangerous thing. did we hate that too?

this is pretty good.

That comparison video just shows me that I like Lorde more than Lana

I liked Solar Power, but didn't ever really listen to it after the first day. I like this a lot more and think I'll listen to it more. It doesn't sound like a hit, but I don't think thats even what she's going for now.

I hear the Lana essence to it but it feels more of an homage than cut and paste. I like it but it meanders a bit. Maybe a grower.

new single Mood Ring. it's quite good, very (self-consciously) early 00s. but damn, she really has nothing to say this era :D four years gone and not a single jot of self-reflection or poignant lyricism across 3 songs so far.

album out FRIDAY. 🤷‍♀️

I liked Solar Power but not super keen on either of the songs that have come since. A bit... MoR.

Was she BORED making this album?
no, she was running around by her friend's swimming pool in her vintage Dries slip, eating organic olives, feeling embarrassed about all the expensive hotel rooms she'd be staying in during her promotional duties, and looking to the sun to summon relatable anecdotes for her 7500 word "I'm just like you!" fanclub email sermons :disco:

whether we will be bored listening to it is another question entirely :basil:

out Friday! (stream Chromatica: The Remix!)

I have to say I'm really enjoying the song today. should've been the lead single.

didn't expect the critics to TURN. wonder what Pitchfork will give her...

Pitchfork have given it a very fair 6.8. I agree with most of their review.

I've just finished my first full play. the songwriting is actually great and she does have more to say than the singles suggested. the problem is that Jack's production is so muted, tame and often lifeless. 70s folk-lite is a dress worn better by Lana than Lorde.

Mood Ring is the album's best song (by the time it comes along you're literally begging for a beat and it is sweet relief), followed by Oceaning Feeling, so it ends on a high. Secrets From a Girl, The Path and Fallen Fruit are all very nice too. whoever chose the singles (Lorde herself?) should be sent to Antarctica for a year.

Tl;dr—not the disaster I feared. grade B.

Queens need to stop using ARTPOP as a reference point for a flop era. ARTPOP was a once-in-a-lifetime career implosion, with repeated gags of the season every day, and bops for days. To the extent that Katy Perry's whole purpose in pop was to provide the wallpaper for Gaga's explosion. Your fave could never flop as iconically as ARTPOP.

I love her but this rings very true. She’s fallen into the trap of being a rich and famous person who only writes about being rich and famous. :(

I'll stand by Melodrama being one of the albums of the last decade, but any excitement I had before listening to the album had faded before this one had released.

I don't dislike it by any means, but what is there to get thrilled by? I appreciate not every album does that, but on a day when Steps have delivered gay hyperbole and shat glitter over Spotify, this doesn't cut the mustard.

I'm sure Lorde and record label alike will be bummed to discover she can't compete with Steps :basil:

*burns sage, aligns chakras*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom