Lorde - Solar Power

surely you'll love Oceanic Feeling @POP!

this is looking at a 55-60k debut in the US, 30-35k pure sales, and probably #3. Melodrama was #1 with 109k units.

The mistake is the "music box" i.e. the CD that doesn't have a CD in it. Once you come out with a piece of ill-advised hubris like that, certain people are ready to tear you apart. Imagine whining that an album isn't miserable enough. Reminds me of the people who tapped out from Manic Street Preachers after they didn't have a severely depressed self-harming member any more despite that fact that this was for the worst of reasons.

Maybe a bit… I still think it’s a bad faith argument though. Nobody’s saying she has to keep doing the same thing. Even less so that she has to stay ’miserable’, which I’d argue has never been her USP. Royals is snarky. Team is warm and uplifting. Green Light is Euphoric.

I feel like everybody’s basically in agreement that Solar Power isn’t a particularly good album, but for some reason we feel the need to either fall into the camp that Lorde is a bad person or that anyone who has a remotely negative thought on the album is a bad person. Surely there has to be a healthy middle ground? Otherwise why bother having critical thoughts about anything in pop culture?

I don't think anybody is saying that VoR. it's just interesting to dissect the various camps critiquing the album and look at where they're coming from. there's a lot of "I WANT MY MELANCHOLIC TEENAGE ELECTROPOP QUEEN!" entitlement out there. it doesn't mean people can't also validity critique the album for its flaws.

In other news, and I know this is a terribly unpopular opinion, but the album is actually growing on me (!).

In other news, and I know this is a terribly unpopular opinion, but the album is actually growing on me (!).
I actually think the album is mostly liked, so maybe not that unpopular. outside Moopy.

here she is covering Torn

The Path is giving me life right now. gorgeous opener. has anyone stuck with this? it's revealing itself delightfully. her vocal harmonies on Fallen Fruit... :disco:

I'm quietly persisting with this. Clearly lacks the highs of the first two albums, but "The Path", "California", and "Mood Ring" are my keepers for now. "Stoned..." is growing on me quite a bit. "Oceanic Feeling" has promise too. The rest still whooshes above my head a bit.

Lorde performing a Britney fan fave in a red catsuit in a forest as filmed by a very small person is not something I expected Wednesday to deliver.

INTO IT!

I just saw her on the main stage at Primavera. It was... like... the absolute greatest thing of all time. No joke. She was fucking phenomenal! Killer setlist, exquisite presence and crowd interaction, and don't even get me started on seeing Team, Green Light and Supercut live. even the (4) Solar Power tracks popped all the way off. QUEEN. OF EVERYTHING.

• Love
Reactions: GNL
I did read that she’s aiming for bangerz on the next album, and has even taken to covering Carly Rae Jepsen’s Run Away With Me live, so hopefully Solar Power was just a blip.

I just saw her on the main stage at Primavera. It was... like... the absolute greatest thing of all time. No joke. She was fucking phenomenal! Killer setlist, exquisite presence and crowd interaction, and don't even get me started on seeing Team, Green Light and Supercut live. even the (4) Solar Power tracks popped all the way off. QUEEN. OF EVERYTHING.
Did she shush you though?

1654903673560.png

Her new single Secrets From A Girl (which I assume is from Solar Power and just a curiously slow release) is actually really good. Getting some good airplay too.

Secrets From a Girl was fabulous. she did Robyn's spoken word part and it was camp.

20220610-215136-01.jpg

lorde.jpg

Not it taking her covering Cruel Summer to get me to listen to this album:

It is definitely patchy but Fallen Fruit and The Path are gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom