Loverboy vs. I'm Real

I shake and cry to...

• Total voters
I have to say the Firecracker version of 'Loverboy' with the sample is so, so much better than what was eventually released and I totally understand why Mariah was seething. Fucking treason really when you think about it.

Totally, @Suedey. The melody line actually fits the backing track. The Cameo version always sounded totally disjointed. Which had its charms. But part of the reason we were all... shocked by Loverboy in 01 was because Mariah had typically synchronised her samples and her top-line melodies so tightly on previous lead singles. Loverboy just sounded totally chaotic and messy.

That being said, I don't think Loverboy (Firecracker) could have defeated Bootylicious, which was just too strong at the time. She was heading for a "commercial disappointment" with Glitter in any case. Although a one-two punch of Loverboy (Firecracker) and Out Here On My Own might not have been the disaster that Loverboy-Never Too Far was.

I agree that it wouldn't have defeated 'Bootylicious' but she wouldn't have descended into parody and arguably the whole meltdown would have been less of a major issue. Glitter was going to flop anyway but the soundtrack and singles could have been hits - something that another M.C. managed for decades (shit /box office bombs but with successful accompanying music :eyes: ). But let's not go into ifs and buts.

The bottom line is it would be like if Madonna had prepared 'Hung Up' for release and suddenly Britney Spears released something with the 'Gimme! Gimme!' sample.

In conclusion, DEATH* TO J-LO

(* of course this is only meant in jest and we wish everyone love and light even haters. We do not pit Strong Independent Females against each other and J-Lo has her thing and that's that.)

I do like the I’m Real Remix but the original version is crap.

I live for Loverboy feat. cameo but the Firecracker version is on a whole new level.

I’m sorry but was looking forward to Loverboy (Firecracker version) the most but it does feel a bit disjointed and awkward. Perhaps it is just because I’m used to the released cameo version and need to give it time, but it does sound even cheesier than the cameo version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom