Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Fuck me, that looks DREADFUL.

Can't help but feel that this is the wrong time for a "crazy black woman kills lots of white kids" film as well...

Given it's from the production company behind Get Out I'm hopeful it'll be a bit more subversive than just 'scary black lady'.

But it's clearly a CAMP CLASSIC in the making whether it's actually any good or a total train wreck. :disco:

This looks like a riot

Already wet at the prospect of all the scenery which will be CHEWED and SPAT OUT

I watched a minute then stopped... looked like it was about to show too much! Looks fun though!

We have another thread for this

This was highly entertaining but ultimately a bit of a missed opportunity. Octavia Spencer was marvellous - I think in pretty much anyone else's hands this would've just been complete trash, but her facial expressions and line readings were just brilliant.

It did feel like it sat somewhat awkwardly between being a full-blown camp fest and something a bit more nuanced. There are times when you genuinely do feel for Ma a bit, but that's almost entirely down to the performance I feel, the writing lets her down a tad.

None of the other main characters are worth talking about at all, they're all total generic incredibly stupid teenagers who make the wrong choice at every turn. Juliette Lewis is fun as the mum but does't get much to do. Missi Pyle is hilarious in the two or three scenes she gets but is otherwise wasted. Alison Janney presumably turned up on set one day out of boredom, that or 95% of her role ended up on the cutting room floor for some reason.

Definitely worth a watch, I was chortling thoughout, but not quite what it could have been.

It was incredibly silly but entertaining enough. I couldn’t believe the amount of actual famous people in it though.

I want to see this but because bigger releases are out the cinemas have decided not to show it before the evening.

Meh. I love the fact that we're having a bit of a psycho bitch renaissance in movies, but this was not suspenseful at all and not as camp as it could have been. Between this and Greta Isabelle Huppert wins, no contest. Luke Evans looked hot though.

Only just watched this recently and I can only echo everyone's sentiments. High camp fun which could have been more, but QUEEN OCTAVIA reigns supreme.

This iconic GIF (and all the memes it gave birth to) destroys everything:

giphy.gif

I thought this was standard at the start, good in the middle and ridiculous at the end. More top quality reviews on other things from me to come. Oh and Juliette Lewis was dreadful.

I really enjoyed this tbh. Completely ludicrous, very fun, Spencer was obviously having a great time.

It really did go from zero to 60 in no time at all though with
Mercedes killed, the dog maimed, Luke Evans kidnapped and the kid's all tortured and the policeman shot
all in the space of about 5 minutes... :D I was like WTF? :D

On the 'angry black woman', 'not sure if this is the right time' comment from someone above, the first thing my boyfriend said was 'I don't think I've ever seen a movie where a black woman gets to play the villain like that'. And I thought back, and closest I could think of was Lupita in Us (and that doesn't really count because she plays the heroine too). It's FINE for a black woman to play the villain - if we don't allow that to happen then we're preventing black women from getting the same range as their white and male counterparts. We need to stop overthinking that IMO.

Yeah a 6 is what Rhythmbarbican's comment reads as. I think my 8 was maybe a little on the generous side, but I was umming and aahing between a 7 and an 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom