Madame X - 6 months later..

It doesn't feel like it's already been six months! I still love this album and I do listen it an awful lot. Some of my favourites have changed. Looking forward to the live show(s) in 2020 so reinvigorate my interest even more.

So, let's re-rate the songs 6 months down the line... shall we?

Medellin
Dark Ballet
God Control
Future
Batuka
Killers Who Are Partying
Crave
Crazy
Come Alive
Extreme Occident
Faz Gostoso
Bitch I'm Loca
I Don't Search I Find
Looking For Mercy
I Rise

Funana
Back That Up To The Beat
Ciao Bella

09 Medellin
09 Dark Ballet
11 God Control
09 Future
09 Batuka
09 Killers Who Are Partying
09 Crave
10 Crazy
09 Come Alive
10 Extreme Occident
10 Faz Gostoso
07 Bitch I'm Loca
09 I Don't Search I Find
07 Looking For Mercy
08 I Rise

06 Funana
06 Back That Up To The Beat
07 Ciao Bella

LOON UP! :disco:

09 Medellin
08 Dark Ballet
09 God Control
06 Future
09 Batuka
07 Killers Who Are Partying
09 Crave
07 Crazy
09 Come Alive
08 Extreme Occident
08 Faz Gostoso
07 Bitch I'm Loca
07 I Don't Search I Find
05 Looking For Mercy
06 I Rise

?? Funana
?? Back That Up To The Beat
?? Ciao Bella

I think I listened to the last three on YouTube once, but certainly don't remember anything about them.

I like Funana if I'm in a 'speshul' / 'voice of an angle' / S.Ure mood type of mood.

Ciao Bella is okay but vastly overrated by the fanzzz.

Back That Up wasn't much cop when it leaked as part of the RH sessions and it's not much better now.

I'm glad to see a sensible rating for Looking for Mercy. To me that song is the Wash All Over Me (final) of this album: a dirge.

09 Medellin
09 Dark Ballet
09 God Control
06 Future
06 Batuka
07 Killers Who Are Partying
10 Crave
10 Crazy
07 Come Alive
09 Extreme Occident
10 Faz Gostoso
06 Bitch I'm Loca
06 I Don't Search I Find
08 Looking For Mercy
07 I Rise

05 Funana
03 Back That Up To The Beat
05 Ciao Bella

The only ones I ever really go back to are Crave and Medellin

Crazy and Faz Gostoso are also worth a spin

Batuka, God Control, Platinum Gold, Come Alive, and Extreme Occident are all still 10/10s. :disco:

And Ciao Bella is a 9.

I really don't care at all.

I would score a lot of the individual songs quite highly but I just don't want to listen to any of it. Maybe because it's so out of kilter with the kinds of stuff I'm so into lately, but also because the idea of putting it on just feels like a drag.

Oh gosh. It's decent, isn't it? And idiosyncratic too. But no more than that.

All hail to the fact that she went out of her way to make it its own thing.

6/10.

Reactions: dUb
1. Like a Prayer
2. Ray of Light
3. Confessions on a Dance Floor
4. Erotica
5. Music
6. Bedtime Stories
7. American Life
8. Madame X
9. True Blue
10. Madonna
11. Like a Virgin
12. Rebel Heart
13. Hard Candy
14. MDNA

I think.

The definite top:
01. Ray of Light
02. Music
03. Like a Prayer

These always change:
04. Erotica
05. Confessions on a Dancefloor
06. Bedtime Stories
07. American Life

The Classiques (that sometimes rank above previous group):
08. True Blue
09. Like a Virgin
10. Madonna

:turd::
11. Hard Candy
12. Madame X
13. Rebel Heart
14. Mdna

1. True Blue
2. Erotica
3. Ray of Light
4. Like a Prayer
5. Music
6. Confessions on a Dance Floor
7. Bedtime Stories
8. Like a Virgin
9. Madonna
10. Rebel Heart
11. Hard Candy
12. American Life
13. Madame X
14. MDNA

admittedly, I haven’t given Madame X much of a chance to settle in. But the first few plays weren’t promising...

With a couple of the fluffy tracks taken off Madame X could really have been boxed off with Ray Of Light, Music & American Life in her repertoire. I feel she almost self sabotaged a good record with too many silly gimmicks in the promo and interviews.

I just had quite a moment to God Control, it's the first time I've played anything by her in months

and now I've moved onto BEAUTIFUL STRANGER :disco: yassss!

I just had quite a moment to God Control, it's the first time I've played anything by her in months

You what? Wasn’t Madame X the greatest album of all time or something six months ago? :D

First Madonne album I've listened to all the way through more than once in years but I can't say it's one I've gone back to at all. It's absolutely the right direction for her though.

Faz Gostoso and Medellin (and maybe God Control) are the only ones I can be bothered with these days.

Still really enjoy the album whenever I play it, but I don't often play it. I think it's her whole attitude and "image"(cough) that puts me off these days.

Anyway, I presume we won't be getting any new music for years, so I really, really wish she would finally treat her back catalogue with some respect and use this time to issue some brilliant remastered expanded editions(a la Prince's 1999 reissue or PSB's reissues). Is there any chance of that actually happening though? 2020 would be as good a time as any for it.

She refuses to look back, which is the issue.

I’m amazed Warners haven’t done anything with her other than vinyl reissues, though.

Yeah I don't think she owns her own masters. But you never know, she may have 'bought' them as part of her severance package when she left Warner in 2008 - which may explain why there's been nothing apart from shitty coloured vinyl reissues with no extra effort.

Then again, I have heard rumours that Warners are keen to do more stuff with her back catalogue and she keeps blocking it. Apparently it's got to do with (surprise, surprise) money.

Lest we forget the box set that Caresse Henry had been planning around 2004 was blocked by Madonna herself.

There have just been so many missed opportunities.

2016 for 30th anniversary of True Blue would have been great as her Billboard Awards speech that year had a lot of positive buzz that they could have capitalised on.

2019 for 30th anniversary of Like a Prayer would have been great to build momentum prior to the release of Madame X.

Part of the problem also is that she is surrounded by a team of yes people who are largely incompetent as well. I'm no great fan of Guy Oseary as a manager but I have heard a rumour that he's actually quit as her manager. This may or may not be a good thing.

SEX Book - 2020 Edition

received_2924245727587848.thumb.png.278f4d9c3ad117eb2c03e7f078a040b8.png

received_492856191603577.thumb.png.91e3470d79226f038886d4ef6aad7eb5.png

Last edited:
I know she doesn't like to "look back", but it makes no business sense to ignore reissues. She doesn't even have to lift a finger. Warners could do all the work, while she continues with her unwanted film project, face/body surgeries, twink boyfriends etc. At least it would keep her name out there a little bit and might even remind some people why they adored her in the first place.

Last edited:
She does seem resistant to being any sort of legacy artiste. If it makes her feel better perhaps she can package each reissue with a disc of Madame X demos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom