'Madame X' v 'Golden' v 'Caution'

Pick your fave of the albums obv

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Needless, pointless hungover poll but these are all perennial Moopy faves and I think they all upped their games on their most recent efforts.

514kgAQecnL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

UK #2 US #1

81f1AAcxtFL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

UK #1 US #64

71FTv1VGOvL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

UK #40 US #5

I’ve went for Caution but it’s a tough call between that and Golden.

I just didn’t like Golden that much
I still like Kylie

as for Caution, I haven’t heard her

Sorry Moopy, I've only heard Golden. I came close to nabbing Madame X for a fiver out of sheer curiosity but didn't.

The Madonna album was her best for a decade, but she's such a twat.

No contest for me. Madame X is head and shoulders above Golden (which I enjoyed but didn't really love; in fact I think I prefer KMO).

I know that Caution is meant to be good but what I heard didn't really grab me. I should really give it another chance.

They're all pretty good post-prime albums tbh. Madame X is the weakest I think though.

Didn't realise Caution was so well regarded. Listening now - how refreshing that it's only ten tracks!

It's not bad, but as is often the case with Mariah albums, I'm finding it all a bit one-paced and meandering. Still Kylie for me methinks.

I think Caution may overtake Madame X in the long run for me.

Golden is not in the same league as those two for me.

Caution still remains the one for me. It's really her held up since it was released. I did recently go back to Madame X and was reminded of Come Alive. I enjoyed Golden at the time, but I rarely go back now to anything other than Dancing.

Also do we have sales figures for the three of them? :eyes:

Also do we have sales figures for the three of them? :eyes:
Madame X has been hovering around 490K for a while, so I expect when all is said and done it's just shy of 500K. I'd suspect it has the highest worldwide figure, followed by Caution then Golden.

In the UK of course Golden wins with over 120K (if not more?) whereas I think Madame X did around 60-80K (if not less).

Last edited:
Golden had sold about 150k a year or so ago. It was mentioned by TCC around the time of Glastonbury so you'd think maybe 160k ish in the UK.

Golden had sold about 150k a year or so ago. It was mentioned by TCC around the time of Glastonbury so you'd think maybe 160k ish in the UK.
The Golden promo campaign in the UK was a masterclass by anyone's standards in any era to be honest. She literally did everything right.

The only Madonna reference point I have for it would probably be the Confessions campaign.

Confessions was nothing like it- she gave up after the first single promo-wise (as always) and LEST WE FORGET the horror of the videos that came after Sorry, which, let’s face it, is only good cause it continues (*coughs* rehashes) Hung Up.

Confessions did really well because it was very good but most of its sales came off the back of Hung Up...

Madame X has been hovering around 490K for a while, so I expect when all is said and done it's just shy of 500K. I'd suspect it has the highest worldwide figure, followed by Caution then Golden.

In the UK of course Golden wins with over 120K (if not more?) whereas I think Madame X did around 60-80K (if not less).

That's got to be at the high end of expectations for Madame X? 500k for a 2019 Madge album sounds pretty good?

I’ve not even heard Golden but it has to be better than Madame X (which I HAVE heard) and we all know deep down that every single Mariah album is a variation on the same dreary old supposedly “sexy jam” theme, and a quick skip through it on Spotify immediately proves my point :tongueout:

Golden has sold a little more in the UK than Caution has in the US I believe, and from a quick look at Wikipedia in terms of chart peak has done better internationally as well.

Madame X seems to have peaked higher in a lot more countries than either though. As much as I suspect it flopped out of most charts quickly, Caution didn't hang around either, did it? I know Golden had a much lengthier run than either in the UK at least, but no idea how it held up internationally.

UK chart runs

Madame X

2 - 14 - 21 - 46 - 43

Golden

1 - 4 - 6 - 10 - 13 - 13 - 31 - 38 - 41 - 38 - 36 - 66 - 73 - 83 - 81 - 74 - out - 62 - 56 - 40 - 46 - 73 - out - 42 - 63 - 48 - 69 - 79 - 51

Caution

I can't see how Golden or Caution would have fared much better than their UK and US totals, respectively. So I imagine it's Madame X with 500K, and then maybe Caution followed by Golden or vice versa with around 200K/250K each, but only with a few K separating the total sales...

I'm guessing Golden is ahead of Caution, which only went top ten in the US. According to a Mariah fansite it had sold 191k globally up to Feb 2019. I doubt it's sold significantly more since. 100k of those sales were in the US.

Golden is at 152k in the UK alone up to June 2019. It also went to #1 in Australia, #3 in Germany and top ten in several other countries. Surely that should see her clear 200k easily enough, as Caution managed 91k outside the US (including the UK) despite not charting so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom