Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jark

User
New Fincher at last! It's on Netflix now, a black-and-white ode to Golden Hollywood starring Gary Oldman as Herman J. Mankowicz, and telling the story of his attempt to write the Citizen Kane screenplay while battling alcoholism. It's non-linear with flashbacks to the events of preceding decade as he writes in a remote lodge with his assistant/nurse (Lily Collins).

it's a long-time passion project for Fincher, directed from a script by his father Jack (who died in '97). also features Charles Dance, Tuppence Middleton and Amanda Seyfried in a nice showy role. but really it's 100% a love letter to this Hollywood outsider who couldn't get his shit together and made a load of enemies but still managed to write a masterpiece. Oldman absolutely EATS IT UP.

I don't know if it's very Moopy friendly but I really enjoyed it, and it should be in the awards conversation because the Academy voters love shit like this.

Oooh I may pop this on tonight if I can drag myself away from the Real Housewives of Melbourne.

Can’t believe TUPPENCE MIDDLETON is a real name though and I’m showing symptoms of being low-level agog.

I really don’t think I CAN BE ARSED.

I enjoyed it. I think I would have liked it better on the BIG SCREEN.

I would have liked more understated fashion moments like the below though.

Mank_Reel5_DailiesGrade_cropped_v200805_14944.jpg

Last edited:
Saw it at the cinema yesterday. This was nowhere near as good as it could have been. I mean I love movies, have seen Citizen Kane and have heard of a lot of the characters here, but this is for SERIOUS cinephiles who already know a complete background because it sure wasn’t easily explained in Mank. Ultimately it’s just not that entertaining.

Amanda Seyfried was very good though.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I'd happily give my full attention in the cinema, but I just know I'll end up having to slog through in about eight half-hearted chunks on Netflix.

I found this film rather impenetrable and cold. I think cinephiles will probably get more out of it than I did. It wasn't really for me.

I didn't get very far. Bit too dry and weirdly paced.

I'm sure it looked lovely but so does Taylor Swift.

Having listened to all those You Must Remember This episodes helped cause at least I was familiar with the names.

It was good but not spectacular and made more so by being watched on Netflix at home. Amanda Seyfried is the highlight. Gary Oldman is way too old for the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom