Mare of Easttown

RaspberrySwirl

Leftover
Is anyone else watching Mare of Easttown (on HBO)? Kate Winslet is so good and I love the actress playing her mother.

Anyway, that reveal at the end of episode 2 came a bit out of nowhere (even if it was hinted at during the scene outside his house). What do we think?

one episode in. the murder made me sad :(

my money's on creative writing guy (until the inevitable shift in the next episode)

one episode in. the murder made me sad :(

my money's on creative writing guy (until the inevitable shift in the next episode)

That would be about right seeing as based on two episodes it appears that for mardy Mare it doesn't rain but pour.

I'm enjoying it but haven't we've seen everything this has to offer 300 times before 🥴

I'm enjoying it but haven't we've seen everything this has to offer 300 times before 🥴
tumblr_nn1ywe21hu1ral0y9o4_r1_250.gifv

Evan Peters is so adorable in this week’s episode. Also I wish Mare wasn’t so awful to everyone and everyone wasn’t so awful to Mare.

I really like Evan in this, I don't remember seeing him in a non-Murphy production before.

This week was not the best for Mare being not awful.

Where can I watch this? My usually murky channels have recently become
insufferable with ads and pop ups and I gave up halfway through episode one yesterday.

oh no, not a teacher-deacon-father sex ring

I'm starting to think that Mare's cousin, the priest, dunnit

I let out a little gasp when Evan Peters showed up, much to Mr M's amusement. love him to bits (Evan Peters, not Mr M)

I am also loving the e-cigarette. vape your sorrows away, Mare!

Evan Peters is so good. And the mother too.

There is no logic behind it but it feels like it should be Guy Pearce, especially when he asked her about the name of her daughter (now that I’m typing this I wonder why that is even significant but it’s what I thought then).

I hate the ex-daughter in law actress (she was in that stupid flop show Here and Now). How dare she speak like that to our Kate?

As for Kate/Mare, that dirty trick was such a Carrie Madsen/Homeland move, it’s going to be frustrating watching her not being able to work in the case. :evil:

I've watched the first two episodes, need to catch up on the THIRD!
I'm really enjoying it - it's like a sober Twin Peaks, or Fargo minus the comedy.

I'm struggling to see what's so GREAT about MARE however, as she appears to be terrible at her job and terrible towards everybody around her.

I'd also heard ahead of time the end of episode 2 contained some sort of PLOT TWIST, so was a little underwhelmed when it turned out to be
Mare's EX getting the dead girl preg. I was honestly expecting Mare to be killed, or for there to be some sort of COSMIC TIME SHIFT or something :D

Anyway, I will be watching further - I just hope they don't drag it out TOO MUCH. 6 episodes is about right for this sort of show.

I'm struggling to see what's so GREAT about MARE however, as she appears to be terrible at her job and terrible towards everybody around her.

she's struggling too, OK!

I'm all for a humping and vaping poor woman's version of Sarah Lund

WTF was this week's episode? :D

I'm starting to suspect that this show is actually terrible and we've all been hoodwinked because it has Kate Winslet and a lot of washed out colours.

• Wow
Reactions: dUb
It was a fun episode. What was your issue with it? It’s not meant to be super dark and full of people who don’t crack a smile.

I thought it was refreshing that she sat her family down and explained her fuck up.

It just felt like such a mess! How many plots were going on?!

* Mysterious priest who is clearly a red herring
* Lesbian daughter's love triangle (Why on earth would we care about this?!?!?)
* Mare's custody troubles with her son's ex
* Mare's own love triangle with Evan Peters and Guy Pearce
* Cancer lady getting extorted by the drug addict
* Dead girl's boyfriend hates his possibly illegitimate baby
* the actual murder investigation the show is ostensibly built around (2 scenes at most)

It just felt so overstuffed and tonally all over the place. I didn't hate it, I just thought it was bizarre! I feel like if you're going to have that much going on, you need to go full Desperate Housewives with it, but 95% of it was played entirely straight.

I agree that there are one too many plot lines but my current theory is that Mare’s dead son is the baby’s father so that should tie things up.

I agree that there are one too many plot lines but my current theory is that Mare’s dead son is the baby’s father so that should tie things up.

omg hadn't even thought of that. mind. blown.

I agree with VoR that the episode felt like a departure with all the sudden directions

I hope the red herring gets exonerated next week, it's been going on for long enough. who is he covering for though? Mare's cousin?

AGREED with all of @VoR's points, although I did still enjoy the episode despite the MANIC amount of plotlines - and red herrings/character development/lack of plot progression is pretty standard 3rd/4th episode fodder on these types of shows.

Even though I knew exactly what was going to happen, as it was SO OBVIOUS, I did still think the mother going to the abandoned house scene was really well done. The show briefly transformed into a horror film.

I've got the best friend's husband with the big grey beard down as the killer, possibly in tandem with the younger guy that's on screen with him (his son?). He's had appeared in every episode so far, and feels a bit INSERTED into the narrative. A big :goodgrief: if it ends up being Guy Pierce.

Is there a killer AND a separate kidnapper though..?

The different plotlines are a bit of a mess but I think this show is meant more to be a family drama rather than a murder mystery. Either way I don’t think I could ever tire of watching Kate and her (qol) mother arguing. They’re too good.

Is it too obvious to suspect the real father of the murderd girl’s son is her own father?

there hasn’t been that many red herrings, the first one was Mare’s ex and now the priest for the last 2 episodes. We haven’t had another suspect.

Jean Smart with the ice cream stashed in the mixed veg and then getting taken out by the door to minimal sympathy from Mare killed me.

:o :o :o :o I didn’t not expect that. My mouth just fell open. Poor kid.

I really love this show and these people. I would love a season 2. Also Kate is just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom