Mariah Carey - The Rarities OUT NOW

He didn't hop on the lamb express til Rainbow! I'm HARDLY at that level :side-eye:

Incidentally I saw there's a new Mariah podcast, Me. I Am. A Memoir. The Meaning of 'The Meaning of Mariah Carey' so I'll be giving that a go

I have to laugh at Martin sometimes. He's obviously a lamb, but his knowledge of her stuff isn't exactly encyclopedic. Dan is amazing with the details. I get that Martin jumped on board with Rainbow, but how he could not go back and adore the preceding albums? Oh well, I guess the lambily is a broad church!

Reactions: dUb
He does love Butterfly, in fairness... and Daydream I think? They both have no time for Music Box which I found odd.

Dan is terrific and a true L-A-M-B :emoji_poodle:

Last edited:
Sorry, but how can an album of rejects end up sounding like a feckin' Greatest Hits??? :disco:

Sorry Gaga, Taylor and any other artist who dares release between now and December 31st...don't bother. This is genuinely my ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

They both have no time for Music Box which I found odd.

Wait...WHAT?

mariahstare.gif

I attributed the more subdued vox on Butterfly to a stylistic choice, rather than age or overuse or the beginning of the actual decline. She never toured much back then, and was TWENTY-E̶I̶G̶H̶T̶ SEVEN. I think the only real change at that point was the lack of control from Tommy/Walter/etc and musical shift that resulted in her being more relaxed in her delivery and vocal expression.

I really only noticed a tangible difference in her control and vocal prowess with Glitter, Charmbracelet, and then of course, much more severely with E=MC2.

I always roll my eyes when I hear that. This time is no different.
Why? She belted "Forever" about twelve months before her vocals purportedly were irreversibly damaged due to, what, AGE? :confused:

And as Whatevar mentions, there's plenty of moments on Butterfly where she does full belt but it is much more restrained and subtly builds through the song. "My All" is arguably her best vocal moment for me ever in terms of vocal performance and emotive delivery.

Updated and FINAL ratings:

17 Here We Go Around Again
09 Can You Hear Me
09 Do You Think Of Me
08 Everything Fades Away
09 All I Live For
08 One Night
08 Slipping Away
09 Out Here On My Own
09 Loverboy(Firecracker)
08 I Pray
08 Cool On You
09 Mesmerized
08 Lullaby of Birdland
08 Save The Day
08 Close My Eyes (Acoustic)

Why? She belted "Forever" about twelve months before her vocals purportedly were irreversibly damaged due to, what, AGE? :confused:

And as Whatevar mentions, there's plenty of moments on Butterfly where she does full belt but it is much more restrained and subtly builds through the song. "My All" is arguably her best vocal moment for me ever in terms of vocal performance and emotive delivery.

Guys...nowhere have I ever denied her ability to BELT. It's not just about that. It's the smoothness of the vocal. The ability to switch ranges rapidly and change from chest to head voice in a smooth way. That started to decline after Daydream. A raspiness started here too and a more nasal, slightly less effortless tone.

I'm not even asking if anyone agrees. It's a FACT. If some can't hear that...cool. I, and others, can.

She still sounds F*KING AMAZING.

I can't say I noticed a decline in vox on "Butterfly" and like @POP! says, put it down to a stylistic choice. The first time I noticed the voice wasn't the same was on "I Still Believe", there's a voice crack around the 0:38 mark that's very evident similar to the one of "Against All Odds".

These elusive tracks staying hidden from the general public even after release, couldn't be more perfect! :emoji_ok_hand::emoji_dizzy:

21 Savage & Metro Boomin (Slaughter Gang/Epic/Boominati/Republic) 170-195k total activity, 14-17k album
BLACKPINK (Interscope) 110-125k, 90-100k
Bryson Tiller (RCA) 75-85k, 6-9k
Lany (Interscope) 40-50k, 30-40k
Bon Jovi (Island) 19-22k, 18-21k

I was never even thinking about The Rarities as a chartable proposition.

Is the memoir doing well? That's where the investment has been directed.

"I'm That Chick" is what you play when you get a message from your Grindr crush, who you've already told all your friends you're marrying.

"Cool On You" is 7 minutes later when you're uninstalling the app and texting your jobless bogan fuck buddy.

So I just realized that Mesmerized has 2 identical verses, which I really hate.

Maybe that's why she left it off?

So I just realized that Mesmerized has 2 identical verses, which I really hate.

Maybe that's why she left it off?
It was always for the Paperboy OST though right? But yes, could be why it was rejected :oi:

Today I had the unfamiliar experience of going into a MUSIC SHOP where I bought this album on COMPACT DISC so here are the notes from the booklet for the Moopy :emoji_poodle::emoji_poodle::emoji_poodle: whom I hold so close to my heart

I dug deep into the vaults to share these fan favorites, rare songs and long-forgotten gems with you. I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane with me... for the nostalgia! Love, Mariah

Here We Go Around Again (1990)

This was track #1 on my very first demo tape that has never before been shared with the world! I always liked it and did want it to be included on my first album. I don't remember why it wasn't, except we felt that we never quite captured the magic of that first demo. This recording is as close as we got.

Can You Hear Me (1991)

Working with the legendary Barry Mann was truly an honor. We recorded this demo in the hoped that La Streisand (a.k.a. Babs) would perform it. That didn't happen, but I just recently unearthed this rarity - our writing demo - and wanted to share it with you!

Do You Think Of Me (1993)

This is one of my favorite songs from the Music Box sessions that ended up as a B-side on the "Dreamlover" single. I'm told it's a fan favorite so I wanted to include it on The Rarities.

Everything Fades Away (1993)

One of the more personal songs I wrote during this era. This was a B-side on the "Hero" single and never got the attention I felt it deserves. I guess the label didn't quite know how to categorize it musically at the time, but it's an early indicator of a place I would end up exploring further down the road.

All I Live for (1993)

I totally forgot about this track until we just found it in the depths of the vault. Hope you like it! Sooooo 90's!!! [With a pic of her and I assume Walter from the studio which I am kind of surprised she wanted to include]

One Night (1995)

An early collaboration with JD that both of us forgot about! Listed in the vault as "I Don't Know" because I didn't know what to call it, it collected dust until we brought it back to life. I think it's fun!

Slipping Away (1996)

Fans have been asking for "Justice for Slipping Away" for so long and now, here it is... sort of! I worked on this track with Dave "Jam" Hall when we were working on "Fantasy". We included it as a B-side on the "Always Be My Baby" single, and I hope it gets some love from new listeners.

Out Here On My Own (2000)

I won my first "trophy" singing this song as a little girl. You can read the whole story about this song in my memoir, in the chapter "Light of My Life". I decided to record it for Glitter, but for some reason, it didn't make the final cut.

Loverboy (Firecracker - Original Version) (2001)

The long-lost original version of "Loverboy", before we had to change the sample and re-record the entire song. The full story is detailed in my memoir, in the chapter "Firecracker".

I Pray (2005)

I wrote this song for a beautiful young singer. Writing for a talented 12-year-old child was a unique and freeing experience because it was a way to channel a pure feeling of hope and optimism. Love you Lina!

Cool On You (2007)

I used to listen to this all the time but then it got lost somehow and finally resurfaced in my vault! I don't even think Jermaine remembers this writing session LOL! Also known as "Do The Coat", "Kick Rocks" and "Eat Dirt".

Mesmerized (2012)

I always enjoy a live studio session with the wonderful, multi-talented Loris Holland. This cool, retro 70's throwback is from one of those occasions. It never saw the light of day until now!

Lullaby of Birdland (Live) (2014)

A rare live performance of one of my favorite songs. This recording divinely fell into place after I had already written about the experience of singing this song with jazz musicians as a little girl in my memoir (chapter "Light of My Life"). Some of my favorite moments were improvising with the late Big Jim Wright on the piano and this is one example of that. Listen to him go!

Save The Day (with Ms. Lauryn Hill) (2020)

I started writing this years ago, and the message rings true now more than ever: "We're all in this together". The Fugees' rendition of "Killing Me Softly" with Ms. Lauryn Hill's powerful lead vocals has always been one of my favorite recordings. I really enjoyed merging our voices together on this record.

Close My Eyes (Acoustic) (2020)

After working through some emotional introspective moments for my memoir, I decided to revisit one of the most personal songs I've ever written.

Thank You:
Moroccan and Monroe, Tanaka, Brian Garten, Liron Dagan, Michael Richardson, Ellen Greene, Mike Taylor, Kelly Pribble, Nacho Zabalza, Dana Jon Chappelle and my dedicated teams at Roc Nation, Imprint PR and GISPC. Last but not least, as always, thank you to my fans especially dUb for your unconditional love and support. #L4L

Last edited:
Silly bitch for not releasing vinyl, really. It’s a fan/ loon purchase- would have gone top 30, probably higher with that.

Yep. A digital and a CD. That’s just not good enough. Melanie C went Top 10 with all sorts of versions and bundles. You have to appeal to your loon fanbase these days.

Those Mariah Report podcast guys are TESTING me. One of them didn't even buy the CD, and the other skips tracks 2-6. :manson:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom