Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

There ain't nobody better

• Total voters
What happened in 05? TEOM and 1 Thing are the only things I can place.

50 Cent made a comeback here too. Also Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor was a pretty cracking album. And it was Rihanna's and Ciara's first big years I think. Not that they're relevant or anything.

I absolutely hated 2005 for music. When I think of it, I think of that awful number 1s we had at the start of the year that included Toy Soldiers and that Nelly / Tim McGraw thing. I also think of the fact that commercial dance music was going through a very fallow period where the big tunes were regularly underperforming.

Having said that, it DID inspire me to buy a shitload of back catalogue by artists I hadn't had time to invest in previously :basil:

"1 Thing".

By God, what a song.

:D LOVE that song. I remember it so well. It was the last year of High School and I was getting judged very badly for liking it :D
I still wish Amerie would get some kind of global success.

Music hit the skids between 2003 and 2006. JT and Nelly Furtado were the turning point, after which the only way was up. Pop peaked in 2009 and has been in decline ever since, but I feel things are turning around again as of late 2012/13.

Really? If we're talking about the pop scene generally, rather than divas specifically, I think 2002-05 was a stunningly good time. It was only post 2007 that pop started embracing of the moment producers who had a hit "sound" which they repeated to death until they weren't in vogue anymore. For the last five years pop has been infinitely more faceless than the previous five.

"1 Thing".

By God, what a song.

It's in my holy trinity of amazing songs by also-ran r&b starlets with Ashanti's 'Only U' and Christina Milian's 'Dip It Low'. They were both 2004 though.

What happened in 05? TEOM and 1 Thing are the only things I can place.

Daddy Yankee - Gasolina
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
Kelly Clarkson - Since you've been gone :disco:
The Killers - Somebody Told me :disco:
Shakira - La Tortura
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Pussycat Dolls - Don'tcha
Rihanna - Pon De Replay
Madonna - Hung Up :disco:
Sugababes - Push The Button
Kanye West - Gold Digger

oh and Mariah's Don't forget about us :zombie: and Mel B's multi-platinum L.A. State of Mind

Last edited:
Daddy Yankee - Gasolina
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
Kelly Clarkson - Since you've been gone :disco:
The Killers - Somebody Told me :disco:
Shakira - La Tortura
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Pussycat Dolls - Don'tcha
Rihanna - Pon De Replay
Madonna - Hung Up :disco:
Sugababes - Push The Button
Kanye West - Gold Digger

oh and Mariah's Don't forget about us :zombie: and Mel B's multi-platinum L.A. State of Mind

was life really that bad just 8 years ago?

Not forgetting "Be Without You" either. 2005 was glorious.

It really did cement her Legendary status. Up until that point I barely even knew who she was. The only songs I had ever heard her in were I Know What You Want, Through the Rain and It's Like That and they were all fairly good. But WBT only took one listen and that was it. Point of no return.

I wouldn't say 2005 music was any better/worse than other years of the same decade but it was a rather DIVERSE, more than usual, in what top 40 was playing. R&B, rock, urban-pop, dance-pop, country, all had their moments that year.

Did she ever sing this 100% live please?

And don't try with the Grammys perf

Did she ever sing this 100% live please?

And don't try with the Grammys perf

The BET Blueprint and Letterman performances I'm pretty sure were all live as well.

I don't think a day has passed since it came out that I haven't listened to it. Best song of all time.

UM. The lipping starts where it always does (weee belong together BABY). In this case, she had pre-recorded a short "when" for "when you left" just after that but at 2:50 in the video she mouths the regular longer one. Also there's a bit of screeching in the background which is probably her real voice.

It's not nit-picking to say it's clearly lipped. Thanks anyway BABES.

Last edited:
:D I'm really confused. I always thought that was just her voice in the delayed "when". You can hear the strain in the climax and Mariah could never act out those facials that well.

Annoyingly I voted this a 9 on memory alone then played the song and realised I don't think it's better than a 6. Seriously disappointed!

LOL @ anyone thinking that last performance is entirely live. (SERIOUSLY HOW CAN PEOPLE BE THAT STUPID? NO OFFENCE LIKE.)

I FIRMLY BELIVE that video just has SHIT synchronization but those vocals are live, she runs out of breath through the entire thing :(

You're wrong Pips. I'd like to be able to believe it but alas.

Whatevar said:
Babes we've been through this before
I FORGET.

Mad Max Reaction GIF

I couldn’t even remember how it went so was forced to listen to 30 seconds of the video which I think was entirely beyond the call of duty and I shall be demanding appropriate compensation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom