Mariah & Whitney Singles Rate - THE RESULTS

Love That Man is completely miserable in its original form, and then we hear the menace with this clap back:

It's a Whitney peak for sure.

And so with Thinking About You and Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Ever Gonna Be, I'm having more fun with Whitney so far. Mariah's drop outs aren't big losses yet.

93rd. I Know Him So Well/I Believe In You And Me
Average score 6.25

Another tie here, this time between two Whitney cover versions. The former was recorded not that long after the Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson version and was only released as a single in a few countries. The latter was the lead single in some regions from 'The Preacher's Wife' soundtrack and the follow-up to 'Step By Step' in others. There's two versions of this on the album and I've plumped for the better, simpler one here rather than the single mix.

92th. I Want To Know What Love Is
Average score 6.33

Another cover version here, this time of the massive 80s hit by Foreigner.

91st. Up Out My Face
Average score 6.5

One of the lesser successful singles from 'Memoirs', this was rated #28 in a list of Mariah's best songs by Billboard recently but isn't as popular on Moopy.

90th. Sweetheart
Average score 6.5 (One 10)

Mariah's team-up with Jermaine Dupri for the first new song off her #1's album was only given a commercial release in Europe & Asia, it's highest position was #14 in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Possibly a controversial opinion, but I never warmed to soundtrack era Whitney post-Bodyguard. The Waiting to Exhale and Preacher's Wife material bores me to tears with the exception of "Step by Step".

No objection to the mediocre performance of any of the above from Mariah either. "I Want to Know What Love Is" had no place on the otherwise strong Memoirs and that video is unforgivable. "Up Out of My Face" and "Sweetheart" were cute at the time but still not essential. The JD stuff has generally aged so poorly, though.

Possibly a controversial opinion, but I never warmed to soundtrack era Whitney post-Bodyguard. The Waiting to Exhale and Preacher's Wife material bores me to tears with the exception of "Step by Step".

Not saying it's the reason but post Bodyguard she shifted direction considerably from pop to soul, R&B and gospel... with the exception of Step By Step. Yes it's gospel but really it's a full on dance pop record.

She stuck with R&B for another decade but the MLIYL project played with current sounds and really suited her, which is why it worked. Not so much on her 00s output. She had a brief run with pop on her last album which brought some buzz back, and that was that.

Next up, 5 in a row from Mariah

88th. Boy (I Need You)/Angels Cry
Average score 6.55

The 2nd single from fan favourite (according to Mariah) "Charmbracelet" was a minor Top 20 UK hit. @KindaCool is a fan, giving it it's only 10. "Angels Cry" featuring Ne-Yo was meant to be part of the "Memoirs" remix album "Angels Advocate" that ended up being shelved. It didn't do very well on the charts but seems generally liked by Moopy's lambs with @Whatevar scoring it a 10.

87th. You Don't Know What To Do
Average score 6.67 (One 10)

Mariah goes disco with a track from the "Elusive Chanteuse" album. This one seems very well liked among the lambs but suffered from a few people who were unable to rate it. It's a particular fave of mine from that period.

86th. There's Got To Be A Way
Average score 6.67 (Three 10s)

The fifth and final single from the debut album, this was a UK only single that limped to #54.

85th. I Don't Wanna Cry
Average score 6.72

Mariah went 4 for 4 in the US with her 4th single becoming her 4th #1 in a row. She's admitted she isn't a fan and 'tries to perform it as little as possible'.

Don't know if You Don't Know What To Do managed a 10 from me, but it sure is ONE when not vying for slots.

84th. Fine
Average score 6.75

The 4th single from 'The Greatest Hits' was produced by Raphael Saadiq & Q-Tip but disappointingly only charted in the US and Sweden.

83rd. Out Here On My Own
Average score 6.78

The 2nd single from 'The Rarities' is a cover of the Irene Cara song from 'Fame' that was recorded for 'Glitter' but left unused. Despite being a new release, it's quickly won fans among the Moopy lambs with @HeLikedTurner @Alla and @KindaCool all giving it 10s.

82nd. With You
Average score 6.83

The lowest ranking song from the acclaimed 'Caution' album on this countdown.

80th. Endless Love/Bringin' On The Heartbreak
Average score 6.83 (One 10 each)

Another tie, this time with a pair of cover versions. The former being a duet with Luther Vandross on the Diana Ross & Lionel Richie classic and the latter being a Def Leppard track.

Again, another soft spot for Bringing on the Heartbreak

sorry for being a basic bitch sometimes x

Oh I Love "Fine". It's so basic and yet so catchy. Would have made a great addition to My Love Is Your Love but was a bit out of place on the pop-anthemtastic Greatest Hits.

all the post-Rainbow Mariah tracks on the other hand are mostly blending into one at the moment. I just don't know her.

79th. Get Your Number
Average score 6.89 (One 10)

Another Mariah & JD team-up, this time from the Mimi album. This was an average sized hit around Europe but managed to make the Top 10 in the UK. It's a track I rarely go to but if it ever pops up on shuffle, I always find myself singing along.

78th. Shake It Off
Average score 6.89 (Two 10s)

Another Mimi track, this was a massive hit in the US where it kept from the top spot by another Mariah track (that will feature at a later stage). It also went Top 10 in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

77th. Oh Santa!
Average score 6.89 (Three 10s)

The lead single from Mariah's 2nd festive album wasn't quite the success as her first big Christmas smash but did manage to hit the #1 spot on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. It's both loved and disliked on Moopy, scoring 3 10s and some 1's and 2's.

76th. Whatchulookinat
Average score 6.92

What a dreadful campaign the 'Just Whitney' album had. The Diane Sawyer interview and this as the lead single. I can see why Whitney wanted to release this but it was never going to do well chartwise and there were far better tracks on the album she could have led with.

75th. Through The Rain
Average score 6.94

Another lead single, this time from 'Charmbracelet'. I lived for this one back in the day, especially when she belts out the final chorus. Nowadays all I can think of when hearing it is the cruel MadTV pisstake.

As far as that rat JD goes, I actually quite like Get Your Number.

"Oh Santa!" FAR too low. I could give a fuck about the others.

Reactions: SDF
"Through the Rain" is her worst lead single, I'd say.

I hated "Shake it Off" at the time, but think it's quite alright these days.

Get Your Number is a great song, but I think we rated it about right.

Through The Rain's position, however, is criminal.

Her tits are practically growing out of her arm pits in that Number grab. Song is good, but it was also style over substance and a bit off the rack for her.

Oh Santa is really brilliant, FOOLS who can’t appreciate it

I LOVE Shake It Off. Through the rain can fuck off. and I often forget Whatchulookinat, what an amazing car crash that was :disco: didn't her Record company in the US got cold feet about it and canceled the single? I seem to read something about promo cds being recalled and going with One of these days instead.

74th. A No No
Average score 6.94

The second "Caution" track to appear so far, not one I'm overly familiary with.

73rd. My Name Is Not Susan
Average score 7

And the award for the most ridiculous song title on the countdown goes to.... The 4th single from IYBT made #20 in the US and #29 in the UK but a smash hit was coming soon.

71st. Triumphant (Get Em)/The Art Of Letting Go
Average score 7.06

A pair of flop Mariah singles here. The former suffered from a lack of Mariah on the track, with some critics feeling she was overshadowed by the rappers), and the latter a throwback ballad that was well received by critics but failed to register on the charts.

70th. Count On Me
Average score 7.08

The second Whitney single from the "Waiting To Exhale" soundtrack, Whitney teamed up with CeCe Winans (whose brother Bebe featured on Eternal's only UK #1 single "I Wanna Be The Only One") and got a Top 10 US hit in the process (CeCe's only). It also got to #12 in the UK where both of her WTE singles just missed the Top 10.

I actually love The Art of Letting Go though.

The Art Of Letting Go is definitely one of the best 21C Mariah ballads. I'm surprised moopy isn't a fan. It's an example of how much more free and confident she is on that album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom