Mariah & Whitney Singles Rate - THE RESULTS

53rd. Forever
Average score 7.89 (Five 10s)

Single #5 from 'Daydream' was a US airplay only single. Due to Mariah's popularity at the time and despite the lack of physical single, it still managed to chart at #2 on the Adult Contemporary chart in both the US and Canada.

52nd. If I Told You That
Average score 7.92

The UK first single and US second single from "Whitney - The Greatest Hits' first appeared on the 'My Love Is Your Love' album two years previously as a solo effort. George Michael's vocals were added when it was decided to include the song on the GH album. IIRC this was an airplay #1 so it was disappointing when it only peaked at #9 in the UK.

51st. It's Like That
Average score 7.94 (Two 10s)

What a statement of intent. Mariah was BACK and wanted everyone to know. The debut single from 'Emancipation' became Mariah's best charting single in the US since 'Loverboy' and in the UK since 'Against All Odds' and paved the way for the HUGE follow up. This just missed out on a TOP 50 placing by virtue of receiving less 10's than the next entry.

Reactions: SDF
That's all for tonight, tune in tomorrow (Sun 25th Oct) @ 7pm for the first entries in the TOP 50 countdown.

As a refresher, here are the results so far:

124 I Don't
123 Celebrate
122 One Wish (For Christmas)
121 Infinity
120 Something In Common
119 In the Mix
118 We Didn't Know
117 Hold Me
116 Love That Man
115 Bye Bye
113 I Belong To You/My Heart Is Calling
112 Miracle
111 Don't Forget About Us
110 Thinking About You
109 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)
106 You're Mine (Eternal)/One Of Those Days/Try It On My Own
105 The Star Spangled Banner
104 I Stay in Love
103 Thank God I Found You
100 Save the Day/You Give Good Love/Why Does It Hurt So Bad
99 It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Ever Gonna Be
98 Crybaby
97 All At Once
96 Love Will Save The Day
95 Against All Odds
93 I Know Him So Well/I Believe In You And Me
92 I Want to Know What Love Is
91 Up Out My Face
90 Sweetheart
88 Boy (I Need You)/Angels Cry
87 You Don't Know What to Do
86 There's Got to Be a Way
85 I Don't Wanna Cry
84 Fine
83 Out Here on My Own
82 With You
80 Endless Love/Bringin' On The Heartbreak
79 Get Your Number
78 Shake It Off
77 Oh Santa!
76 Whatchulookinat
75 Through the Rain
74 A No No
73 My Name Is Not Susan
71 Triumphant (Get Em)/The Art Of Letting Go
70 Count On Me
69 Reflections (Care Enough)
68 I Still Believe
67 I Know What You Want
65 Open Arms/Say Somethin'
64 GTFO
63 Never Forget You
62 Could I Have This Kiss Forever
61 Never Too Far
60 Loverboy
59 One Sweet Day
58 I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time
57 Where Do Broken Hearts Go
56 H.A.T.E.U.
55 Underneath the Stars
54 I'll Be There
53 Forever
52 If I Told You That
51 It's Like That

"H.A.T.E.U." hasn't left my Mimi top ten since it came out, and it really is an enigma in her catalog (maybe along with "Betcha Gon Know"). The way the contempt in her voice just subtly grows and grows until the last chorus. The writing was really on the wall for her and Nick.

I can't wait to face you
Break you
Down so low
There's no place else left to go

I CAN'T WAIT TO HATE YOU, BABY

97si.gif

WIth that said, the video is a complete misfire and totally does not fit the mood of the song :D

I got the sense that the perspective was a present state of mind. That whole album was oddly packaged as a breakup album perhaps three years prematurely.

They weren’t together that long when Memoirs came out and split 5 years after. That timeline makes no sense.

She didn’t even write that part! The demo by The-Dream already came with those lyrics.

50th. Without You
Averages score 7.94 (Three 10s)

Starting off the Top 50 with Mariah's only solo UK #1 to date. The third single from 'Music Box' is a cover of the Badfinger/Nilsson song and was released in January 1994 just a week after Nilsson's death. I recall there being reports at the time that Mariah was capitalising on the death but surely this couldn't have been true as singles would've been already pressed by that time? It was released in the US as a double A-side with 'Never Forget You' and went to #3. Though a huge success for her, Mariah stated in 2008 that 'it did a lot for me but it's not really representative of me as an artist'.

49th. Touch My Body
Average score 8 (Two 10s)

Following up the MASSIVE 'The Emancipation Of Mimi' was going to a hard job and for the most part I think she succeeded with 'E=MC²'. We got bops (I'm That Chick), we got personal songs (Side Effects), ballads (I Stay In Love). The campaign started with this track, hitting #1 in the US making Carey the solo artist with the most number one hits in the country, surpassing the record held by Elvis.

LOL @Touch My Body being this low.

Although at the risk of trolling I’d say it’s actually FAR TOO HIGH :eyes:

2 movie songs now.

48th. Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
Average score 8 (Three 10s)

The lead single from the 'Waiting To Exhale' soundtrack and Whitney's 11th and final US #1 was sandwiched at the top spot between 'Fantasy' and 'One Sweet Day' back in 1995.

47th. Almost Home
Average score (Four 10s)

Recorded for the movie 'Oz The Great And Powerful', this was another minor hit for Mariah back in 2013. I loved this at the time and was sure it would be a hit but it wasn't to be.

Not a bad showing for Almost Home, which she hates!

Surely anything Mariah released after Emancipation would have gone to #1?

I don’t mind TMB, but I do wonder if her second wind might not have lasted longer had she released something a bit more... substantive?

I’ve spent the evening watching all the new TOTP live performance she’s added to VEVO. Fucking amazing vocals.

Reactions: dUb
46th. When You Believe
Average score 8.05

Whitney and Mariah teamed up for this duet for the soundtrack to 'The Prince Of Egypt' back in 1998 and used it respectively as the lead single from their latest albums. I'm still not sure how this underperformed in the US with a #15 peak given both their statures at the time but it was much bigger in Europe, peaking at #4 in the UK and hitting the Top 10 in multiple countries.

45th. Can't Take That Away From Me (Mariah's Theme)
Average score 8.06

The third single from 'Rainbow' and a double a-side with the already ranked 'Crybaby', this is a lamb favourite and highlighted by critics as one of the album highlights, with one calling it the 'emotional centre of the album'. The song was the subject of a dispute between Mariah and Sony as she wanted it released as a single whereas the label wanted something more upbeat. She later accused them of sabotaging the song's success by giving it a limited and low promotion release.

Well that serves me right for laughing at TMB. Exhale (Shoop Shoop) is WAY too low :angry:

I don't mind When You Believe but the only duet from the two biggest vocalists of the modern era really should been something more than a schmaltzy ballad for a b-rate cartoon.

43rd. Love Takes Time/Hero
Average score 8.11

Another tie here.

'Love Takes Time' was the second single from the debut album and her second #1 single. However bar Canada, the song failed to capitalise on the success of her debut worldwide, stalling at a low #37 in the UK, 'Hero' was the second single from 'Music Box' and is arguably Mariah's signature song (bar an Xmas hit that has yet to appear). It was originally composed for Gloria Estefan for inclusion on the soundtrack to the Dustin Hoffman film of the same name. After being convinced to keep it for herself and a little lyrical rewrite, the song was recorded and released to huge success with it becoming Mariah's 8th US #1 and charting in the Top 5 around the world.

I wasn't a huge fan of Love Takes Time in the 90s, and it went over my head for a long time. But it has aged much better than Hero.

Is Hero another one she doesn’t particularly like herself? I’m sure I read that once...

42nd. Butterfly
Average score 8.22

The 2nd single from the title album was originally conceived as a house record entitled 'Fly Away'. After realising the lyrics could be used for a ballad, the song was rewritten and recorded with new lyrics and vocals. Commerically it wasn't a huge success, peaking at #22 in the UK and breaking a run of Top 10 hits that had started in 1992 with 'I'll Be There'.

Is Hero another one she doesn’t particularly like herself? I’m sure I read that once...
She doesn’t like the way she was made to sing it - it was meant for a lesser vocalist you see.

But she’s reclaimed it now that it’s her biggest hit :D

Last one for this evening.

41st. I Look To You
Average score 8.25

The first US single and second worldwide from Whitney's comeback album 'I Look To You' (don't call it a comeback), this R. Kelly composed track was hailed as one of the best on the album. It wasn't commercially successful apart from topping the charts in Brazil and Top 20 on the US R&B chart.

The 2nd single from the title album was originally conceived as a house record entitled 'Fly Away'. After realising the lyrics could be used for a ballad, the song was rewritten and recorded with new lyrics and vocals.

:D!

”Hey Mariah! Here’s a revolutionary idea. What if you did this one as... and hear me out here because I know it sounds crazy... a ballad?!”

Exhale is airkiss Whitney.

If I Told You That - she and George, I hope neither remembered that video shoot at all :D

Forever is a spotlight.

Without You fealt like her real launch in the UK - she hit big and her first big moment on my radar.

I Look To You is poignant because she's without her magical powers. That tour where she's tarzaning through Love You must have been truly horrible for her. The album is dignified even if even here the jig is up when she cuts loose.

I love Almost Home even if she's vocally not there either.

The fact that it was written by R Kelly is unfortunate, but I Look To You is for my money one of Whitney’s finest moments - and easily her best post-MLIYL vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom