Mariah & Whitney Singles Rate - THE RESULTS

I’ve been listening to Whitney since the morning. The difference in her voice’s quality between Just Whitney and I Look to You is so sad.

Whitney AND Mariah?!

images

I might do it separately after the results. There'd have to be a good bit of trimming though with 130+ singles.

Right, here we go. 124 songs in total. I'm going to do them in bunches until we get to the Top 50 if that's okay with everyone.

124th. I Don't
Average score 2.22

Possibly the worst Mariah song I've ever had the misfortune of hearing and reflected in the low score.

123rd. Celebrate
Average score 3.17

Whitney's penultimate single until last year's 'Higher Love'. Not a whole lot to say about it, it's perfectly pleasant but not very memorable.

122nd. One Wish (For Christmas)
Average score 3.33

Whitney's attempt at a festive album. It's a bit of a dreary affair and certainly the worst of the Christmas songs on the countdown.

121nd. Infinity
Average score 3.94

A new track recorded for Mariah's 2nd #1's collection, seems a bit unpopular around these parts with a highest rate of '8' but it's by no means terrible.

120th. Something In Common
Average score 4

A Whitney single, originally recorded for the 'Bobby' album and given a single remix, should've been huge coming off the success of 'The Bodyguard'. Instead this bland affair limped into the charts at #16.

YAY FOR THIS THREAD

we should do a sweep for the winner

I pick All The Man That I Need

119th. In The Mix
Average score 4.05

Mariah's theme song from 'Black-ish' spin-off 'Mixed-ish' wasn't much known, scoring a lot of ???'s

118th. We Didn't Know
Average score 4.08

The final single from Whitney's "I'm Your Baby Tonight", it didn't chart in the UK and only made #20 on the US R&B chart.

117th. Hold Me
Average score 4.25

Whitney's debut single, recorded for a Teddy Pendergrass album and later included on her first album. It's a nice ballad, if a little overlong at 6 minutes. It'd been previously recorded by Diana Ross as 'In Your Arms' on her 'Silk Electric' album.

116th. Love That Man
Average score 4.5

The final single from 'Just Whitney' and a #1 on the Billboard Dance chart but seems rather unknown over here apart from the Nippy fans.

115th. Bye Bye
Average score 4.55

The follow-up single to US #1 'Touch My Body' was expected to be a huge hit. Then it landed with a thud barely making the Top 20 in the US and #30 in the UK.

Reactions: dUb
Aww poor Bye Bye. It really isn't that bad. I feel like its timing and release poisoned people against it.

113th. I Belong To You / My Heart Is Calling
Average score 4.58

Our first tie, both flop singles for Whitney. The former at the time was her lowest charting single in years after a run of massive hits and the latter serving as the final single from 'The Preacher's Wife' soundtrack

112th. Miracle
Average score 4.92

Possibly Whitney's most controversial single as commentators at the time considered it to be about abortion. It managed to make #9 on the US charts but didn't get a release over here.

111th. Don't Forget About Us
Average score 4.94

The lowest ranked #1 single on the countdown but not surprisingly so given it's quite boring.

110th. Thinking About You
Average score 5

Whitney's first solo single was a hit on the R&B and Dance charts but didn't do a whole lot anywhere. Shame it's not more well known as it's a rather good 80s bop. However there was another uptempo track on the album that would soon overshadow it.

Omg I didn’t vote for Whitney :(

I have to say I really had to go and listen to "Thinking About You" - the first album really has faded into history for me outside of the singles. In fact I don't listen to any of Whitney's albums in full anymore. It's quite a generic bop but has massively improved with age given how trendy 80s funk has become this past decade. I quite love it. Who's doing the male vocal, anyone know?

:oi:

Frozen literally bumped the thread about five times

This is why me and you still need work. Just saying.

I’ve not just let you down. I’ve let myself down too. :(

Final 5 for tonight.

109th. Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)
Average score 5.11

#JusticeForGlitter
I'm not quite sure why this ever got released as a Mariah single when it feels more like a Mystikal song that Mariah's a guest on. I really dislike this song as I find his voice quite grating.

106th. You're Mine (Eternal)/One Of Those Days/Try It On My Own
Average score 5.5

A 3-way tie here. None of these were particuarly successful chartwise as reflected in the low scores. "Try It On My Own" was an attempt at a throwback to Whitney ballads of old but the "Just Whitney" campaign was doomed from the minute the Diane Sawyer interview aired.

105th. The Star Spangled Banner
Average score 5.58

Released after her Superbowl perf days into the Gulf War, this was a massive sales hit. It was rereleased in 2001 after the 9/11 attacks and got to #6, becoming her final Top 10 hit in the US. Other divas could only wish to belt like this.

I have to say I really had to go and listen to "Thinking About You" - the first album really has faded into history for me outside of the singles. In fact I don't listen to any of Whitney's albums in full anymore. It's quite a generic bop but has massively improved with age given how trendy 80s funk has become this past decade. I quite love it. Who's doing the male vocal, anyone know?

Kashif I reckon

I remember loving "Try it on My Own" at the time. It was featured on Boston Public, a shit tv show that was big in America for five minutes, and I was quite disappointed it didn't do anything chart-wise but obviously the writing was on the wall with the Diane Sawyer interview.

So far, I really like "We Didn't Know" and "Thinking About You". The Mariah entries thus far are justifiably low, especially "Bye Bye", which is still too high. Surprised "Through the Rain" hasn't limped its way in yet :D

i'm glad all that mariah shit is out of the way. rewatching the i don't know video, how embarrassing...

should've given thinking about you a higher score than 6. the production is stale but i've had it in my head the last couple of days.

The only massive injustice so far is the Star Spangled Banner. How you can listen to it without getting goosebumps I don't know.

The only massive injustice so far is the Star Spangled Banner. How you can listen to it without getting goosebumps I don't know.

maybe i have a lazy palette but i find that song unbearable in any form, i find it overwrought and pompous. fitting really.
whitney is obviously amazing at delivering it.

Right, on we go with a few more before tonight's Kylie listening party and funky's Groove Armada session.

104th. I Stay In Love
Average score 5.67

The 4th and final single from E=MC² was well received by critics but not so much by fans, only making it to #95 in the UK charts. And this was with a X-Factor performance during the show's peak years.

101st. Save The Day/You Give Good Love/Why Does It Hurt So Bad
Average score 5.83

Another three-way tie here. The lead single off Mariah's latest (featuring Lauryn Hill), Whitney's first US Top 5 and her last single of the three songs she recorded for the "Waiting To Exhale" soundtrack.

100th. Thank God I Found You
Average score 5.83 (One 10)

Mariah's 15th US #1 and a Top Ten hit in the UK.

Forgot how badly “I Stay in Love” performed. All of the E=MC2 ballads were uninspired, but I kind of liked ISIL at the time.

99th. It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Ever Gonna Be
Average score 5.92

Aretha was riding high during her 80s comeback and Whitney was being declared the heir apparent so by all rights a team up should've been a surefire success. Instead we got this embarrassment for both.

98th. Crybaby
Average score 6

The third single from "Rainbow" and a double A-side with "Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme), this was Mariah's first single to miss the Top 20 in the US due to lack of promotion by Sony. Not sure why she went with this as a single when there's better on the album (hello "X-Girlfriend")

97th. All At Once
Average score 6.08

One from the debut that didn't get a US or UK release but did well in Europe, it's typical Michael Masser balladry but she sings the hell out of it.

96th. Love Will Save The Day
Average score 6.08 (One 11)

The 5th single from the MASSIVE "Whitney" album, it made the Top 10 in both the US & UK but missed the top spot, thus ending her still unbroken streak of 7 consecutive #1's

95th. Against All Odds
Average score 6.11

Mariah's 2nd UK #1. Fair play to her latching onto the big boyband of the time, Westlife, and dropping them like a hot snot quickly after.

96th. Love Will Save The Day
Average score 6.08 (One 11)

The 5th single from the MASSIVE "Whitney" album, it made the Top 10 in both the US & UK but missed the top spot, thus ending her still unbroken streak of 7 consecutive #1's

is she 24 here?
that looks like such a tough gig but what a voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom