Mariah & Whitney Singles Rate - THE RESULTS

9th. All I Want For Christmas Is You
Average score 9.67

All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air

All hail Mariah, Queen of Christmas.

Released in 1994, this was an instant hit, peaking at #2 in the UK. However it took until 2019 for it to top the charts in the US, giving Mariah her 19th #1. Though 26 years old, it's still breaking records - in 2018 it the single-day record for most Spotify streams. It's made $2 million in royalties since it was first added to Spotify, keeping Mariah in plenty of champagne.

I genuinely think that the story of All I Want for Christmas is magical. To give her a 19th number one this late in to her career was just everything :disco:

8th. Dreamlover
Average score 9.72

I want a lover who knows me
Who understands how I feel inside
Someone to comfort and hold me
Through the long lonely nights
Till the dawn
Why don't you take me away

Though I'd heard some songs in the preceding three years, this was the song that turned me into a Mariah fan. The lead single from her third album 'Music Box' was released in July 1993, the song was composed by Mariah and Dave Hall, known at that point for his work with Mary J. Blige. It became her 7th US #1 and a worldwide hit, peaking at #9 in the UK. It earned widely positive reviews from critics, many of whom praised its production, the sampling of the hook, and the vocals. It was also the first time she was given creative control over her remixes, enlisting David Morales to create the 'Def Club Mix' and recording new vocals which would become a staple over the next few years.

Reactions: SDF
Erm, is there going to be a Mariah song in the top 5 at this rate?! :D / :(

Oh AIWFC lower than I thought

I bloody LOVE Dreamlover.

These write ups are fantastic Flo

The Whitney singles rate will be back shortly with our top 5 :(

7th. Step By Step
Average score 9.75

And this old road is rough and ruined
So many dangers along the way
So many burdens might fall upon me
So many troubles that I have to face

After the massive success of 'The Bodyguard', music by Whitney slowed down as she moved into a movie career. Her previous movie soundtrack 'Waiting To Exhale' had featured just three songs which were hits but nowhere as big as the songs from 'The Bodyguard'. She signed on to appear in 'The Preacher's Wife', a remake of the Cary Grant film 'The Bishop's Wife', alongside Denzel Washington and recorded an entire soundtrack album. However this was not going to be a standard soundtrack, this was Whitney doing gospel. It received some of the best reviews of her career to date with reviewers noting she had never sounded as comfortable before. To date, it's still the best selling gospel album of all time. But I digress...

This was the international lead single and second in the US. Written by Annie Lennox, it had been the B-side to her single 'Precious'. Whitney reworked the song, adding new lyrics and omitting parts of the bridge. It was a Top 20 hit worldwide but it's low peak in the UK is deceiving as it hung around the Top 20 for so long, it ended up outselling other songs that had higher peaks on the chart.

Step By Step is among the best of the best of any artist. One of the most joyous thing you’ll ever hear :disco:

6th. The Roof (Back In Time)
Average score (Two 12s, one 11, ten 10s)

And my heart was pounding
My inner voice resounding
Begging me to turn away
But I just had to see your face

The third European single from 'Butterfly' received a limited worldwide release due to Carey's conflict at the time with Sony. It's a slick R&B track that was quickly highlighted as one of the best songs on the album. It did next to nothing chartwise, only charting in the Netherlands and in the UK on import sales. Remixes were done by Mobb Deep, Full Crew and frequent collaborator David Morales which were recently released on streaming services as part of the MC30 celebrations.

5th. Anytime You Need A Friend
Average score (Two 12s, one 11, eleven 10s)

If you're lonely
And need a friend
And troubles seem like
They never end
Just remember to keep the faith
And love will be there to light the way

The final single from 'Music Box' was a departure from the other songs on the album, where it was the only gospel-infused track. It was well received by critics who praised Mariah's vocal range and the gospel influence that they felt was missing on the rest of the album. It was a worldwide hit but became her first charting single in the US to miss the Top 10, peaking at #12. The song was remixed by Robert Civilles & David Cole and Cory Rooney & Mark Morales. A thirteen track EP was released to streaming in celebration of MC30 this year, Spotify link below:

I was sure Step By Step was going to win based on some of the rates

pleasing for The Roof though

I remember when I bought Music Box years later and was absolutely living for Anytime You Need A Friend. It’s not my favourite now, but it remains up there.

4th. How Will I Know
Average score 10 (One 12)

There's a boy I know
He's the one I dream of
Looks into my eyes
Takes me to the clouds above

I've heard it said that if 'Saving All My Love For You' made Whitney famous, it was 'How Will I Know' that cemented her as a star. Originally written for Janet Jackson who passed on it, it was reworked for Whitney's debut and released as the follow-up single to 'Saving All My Love'. It's 80s dance beat quickly made an impact, hitting #1 in the US and Top 5 charts worldwide. It's colorful video was a huge success on MTV, where black artists had struggled to crack since it's launch 4 years previously. 19 years later it was sampled by dance group LMC on the track 'Take Me To The Clouds Above'. However Whitney refused for her vocals to be used so they had to be recorded by Rachel McFarlane, a silly move which cost her another #1 hit.

Last edited:
Literally listening to How Will I Know right now, it’s superb

3rd. It's Not Right But It's Okay
Average score 10 (Two 12s)

Friday night you and your boys went out to eat
Then they hung out, but you came home around three
If six of y'all went out
Then four of you were really cheap
'Cause only two of you had dinner
I found your credit card receipt

The second single from 'My Love Is Your Love' (third single in the US) revived sales of the album which had peaked at #27 in the UK when released in late 1998. It was highlighted as a standout on the album and it's biting lyrics immediately drew comparisons to Whitney's marriage to Bobby Brown who had been accused of multiple infidelities. It was a Top 5 hit in both the US and UK and sent the album back up the charts and into the Top 10. Whitney even made a rare appearance at the Brit Awards to promote the song, giving a killer perf.

And of course it would be just rude to talk about the song without giving a shoutout to the anthemic Thunderpuss remix.

2nd. Fantasy
Average score 10.11

Images of rapture
Creep into me slowly
As you're going to my head
And my heart beats faster
When you take me over
Time and time and time again

Released in September 1995 as the lead single to her fifth album 'Daydream', this was a departure for Mariah. Using a sample of Tom Tom Club's 'Genius Of Love', this was among Mariah's first attempt at incorporating urban R&B and hip-hop into her music. It received strong acclaim from critics, being called a 'career high water mark' and 'escapism perfected, [a] summer bubblegum gem with a sweet, flawless vocal line driven by a diva in her prime'. It was a worldwide success - it debuted at #1 in the US with Mariah becoming the first female artist to do so and also topped the charts in Australia, Canada and New Zealand while charting in the Top 5 in the UK.

A remix, produced by Puff Daddy and featuring a rap by O.D.B, was created and was a minor source of controversy as her record label feared it would jeopardize the album's sucesss. Little did they know as Mariah has since stated the remix contributed to half of the sales of the single.

I love it’s not right but it’s okay so much

Surprised INRBIO is so high, got to be for the remix?

1st. All The Man That I Need
Average score 10.17

I used to cry myself to sleep at night
But that was all before he came
I thought love had to hurt to turn out right
But now he's here
It's not the same, it's not the same

Despite the success of the song, it has a storied history, being recorded multiple times before finally becoming a hit by Whitney. Composed by Dean Pitchford and Michael Core of 'Fame' success, the song was originally recorded by Linda Clifford in 1981. It was then recorded by Sister Sledge. Pitchford recalled pitching the song to Clive Davis at a dinner for Whitney's second album but being told it was completed. However the label head kept tabs on the song and got Whitney to record it for her third album 'I'm Your Baby Tonight'.

Released as a single in December 1990, the song topped the US chart and Canada but missed the UK Top Ten, peaking at #13. It received positive reviews from critics who said it 'fully demonstrates Houston's vocal beauty' and 'is a taggering gospel-tinged ballad with an overwhelming build-up in the chorus'.

The song was a highlight of the 1991 concert 'Welcome Home Heroes' and was included on the 2014 release 'Whitney Houston Live: Her Greatest Performances'.

And that's it folks. Glad you enjoyed so much and thanks for reading.

Full countdown:

124 I Don't
123 Celebrate
122 One Wish (For Christmas)
121 Infinity
120 Something In Common
119 In the Mix
118 We Didn't Know
117 Hold Me
116 Love That Man
115 Bye Bye
113 I Belong To You/My Heart Is Calling
112 Miracle
111 Don't Forget About Us
110 Thinking About You
109 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)
106 You're Mine (Eternal)/One Of Those Days/Try It On My Own
105 The Star Spangled Banner
104 I Stay in Love
103 Thank God I Found You
100 Save the Day/You Give Good Love/Why Does It Hurt So Bad
99 It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Ever Gonna Be
98 Crybaby
97 All At Once
96 Love Will Save The Day
95 Against All Odds
93 I Know Him So Well/I Believe In You And Me
92 I Want to Know What Love Is
91 Up Out My Face
90 Sweetheart
88 Boy (I Need You)/Angels Cry
87 You Don't Know What to Do
86 There's Got to Be a Way
85 I Don't Wanna Cry
84 Fine
83 Out Here on My Own
82 With You
80 Endless Love/Bringin' On The Heartbreak
79 Get Your Number
78 Shake It Off
77 Oh Santa!
76 Whatchulookinat
75 Through the Rain
74 A No No
73 My Name Is Not Susan
71 Triumphant (Get Em)/The Art Of Letting Go
70 Count On Me
69 Reflections (Care Enough)
68 I Still Believe
67 I Know What You Want
65 Open Arms/Say Somethin'
64 GTFO
63 Never Forget You
62 Could I Have This Kiss Forever
61 Never Too Far
60 Loverboy
59 One Sweet Day
58 I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time
57 Where Do Broken Hearts Go
56 H.A.T.E.U.
55 Underneath the Stars
54 I'll Be There
53 Forever
52 If I Told You That
51 It's Like That
50 Without You
49 Touch My Body
48 Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
47 Almost Home
46 When You Believe
45 Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
43 Love Takes Time/Hero
42 Butterfly
41 I Look To You
39 Heartbreaker/Obsessed
38 One Moment In Time
37 Same Script, Different Cast
36 Didn't We Almost Have It All
35 Higher Love
34 The Greatest Love Of All
33 Saving All My Love For You
32 Run To You
31 I Will Always Love You
30 I'm Every Woman
29 Million Dollar Bill
28 Someday
27 Can't Let Go
26 Queen Of The Night
25 Breakdown
24 Heartbreak Hotel
23 Emotions
22 Make It Happen
21 My Love Is Your Love
20 I Learned From The Best
19 I Have Nothing
18 #Beautiful
17 Always Be My Baby
16 So Emotional
15 I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
14 We Belong Together
13 My All
12 Honey
11 Vision of Love
10 I'm Your Baby Tonight
9 All I Want For Christmas Is You
8 Dreamlover
7 Step By Step
6 The Roof
5 Anytime You Need A Friend
4 How Will I Know
3 It's Not Right But It's Okay
2 Fantasy
1 All The Man That I Need

Yes. That’s it. That’s the one.
The heroes concert performance is the definition of iconic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom