Marriage Story

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

This won me over from the first frame, it’s heartbreaking, it’s funny and just a great film altogether. Adam Driver definitely deserves to win the Oscar and Laura Dern has a fantastic speech that could get her the supporting actress.

It has a limited cinema release this week before it goes on Netflix. I'm seeing it on Thursday.

Apparently it's currently shaping up to be Laura Dern vs Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars. As a long-time fan of both I'd be delighted with either.

I think she'll probably win. She's beloved by pretty much everyone and long overdue.

Although this is probably J.Lo's only shot at this so of course I'm rooting for her. :disco:

I really don't think J Lo did anywhere near enough to warrant even a nomination. I've nothing against her, and she was fine in the role, but nothing about it screams "oscar nod" to me.

I found "Hustlers" to be overlong and flat anyway.

I thought this was very funny in places and beautifully acted across the board. I've never really been that impressed by Scarlet but she did well with a couple of very meaty monologues. Her scenes with Laura Dern (who was impeccable and basically playing a more controlled version of Renata Klein) were my favourites in the movie predictably.

It did feel very stagey and over-written in places, particularly in Driver and Johanssen's big blow-out scene near the end. I guess that's how pretentious New York theatre types might actually talk to each other, though.

My main complaint is that it all could've felt so much more urgent and interesting had they both not been coming from a place of extreme wealth and privilege, which the movie touches on very briefly but never really addressed. It made it hard to care much when their problems were so superficial and easily resolved. Also neither of them were especially likable, though I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Finally, I have no idea what movie ScarJo's mother thought she was in, but it was an entirely different one to everybody else. I was kind of digging it.

I predict this will over-perform at the Oscars purely because all the rich Hollywood types who vote will have lived a version of it.

this was excellent.

apart from the kid (he took me out of it) and the shoe lace scene (inoffensive but a bit trite for my taste) everything about it was great. driver and johanson were wonderful, particularly the former (but then i liked his character much better than hers).

Liked this. Mostly for the performances. Driver is superb and will surely rival Phoenix for the Oscar. The breakdown scene is phenomenal, but Scarlett is a bit too theatrical, whereas Driver is far more natural. I don’t particularly understand Dern’s lead for the supporting actress, though- she was good (as ever) but I didn’t think she had THAT much to do. Indeed, I preferred Julie Hagerty as the Mum...

This didn’t do a lot for me. They both felt too smug or something. There were some excellent, gritty, realistic scenes, but also some extremely twee, naff scenes with cutesy music. I just didn’t feel for either of them really. I love both actors too, which makes it even more frustrating.

I don’t particularly understand Dern’s lead for the supporting actress, though- she was good (as ever) but I didn’t think she had THAT much to do. Indeed, I preferred Julie Hagerty as the Mum...

i think it's as much to do as the speech itself as her performance combined with the fact that she's such a respected actress who gained a lot of popularity thanks to big little lies. i loved her in the movie - i remember watching her purse her lips with utter delight - but she was a bit hammy.

i really loved driver. the end of the breakdown bit went a bit too far for me but everything else was great and the scene with him singing being alive was absolutely wonderful.

to this day i still can't unsee his girls character but i'd pick him over phoenix. at least he's not the 58th person playing the fucking joker.

I’ve just watched this. Excellent performances but agree that Laura wasn’t especially showy. She didn’t even really steal scenes from either of the leads. Driver, I thought, gave the best performance.

when he told her he wished her dead and then broke down :( I agree he did it best. and his scenes with the old lawyer, Bert, were the funniest

a very good homage to the original and even more toxic relationship study Scenes from a Marriage :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom