Mel B - Tell Me

All you loved was, Mel Beh's moneh

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
I was listening to this earlier, for no particular reason. At the time it really felt like such crass dreadfulness, and in many ways perhaps it still is. But I weirdly feel like these kind of hyper-specific diss tracks are a lot more socially acceptable in the pop world these days?

Anyway I still don't think it's terribly good, but it amuses me to think that in a small way, Mel B's disastrous solo career was accidentally quite ahead of its time.

God it was so difficult to support her solo career as a fan. I still kinda like this one but the whole album was a disaster.

God it was so difficult to support her solo career as a fan. I still kinda like this one but the whole album was a disaster.

God, this so much. I remember being horrified listening to Feel Me Now, Pack Your Shit and Step Inside for the first time :zombie: In a world preceding Nicki, Cardi et al they were NOT acceptable.
Her fall from grace was quite an event, how did she go from I Want You Back - a Missy production and quite a good video to a Darkchild reject accompanied by a video so low budget the only special effect was a big ass fan.

Free dildoesss now for everybodeeeh who buy mah albam HOT! Out NOW!!!

The vocal production on this is just dreadful, isn't it? Limited as it is, I quite like Mel B's voice on other songs, but she sounds fucking awful on this.

I think that was the general issue with her solo career. Everything post-IWYB felt so LOW RENT.

The vocal production on this is just dreadful, isn't it? Limited as it is, I quite like Mel B's voice on other songs, but she sounds fucking awful on this.

I think that was the general issue with her solo career. Everything post-IWYB felt so LOW RENT.

and I think that’s the issue they all had really, apart from Mel C who kind of started a lil genre of her own with the first album - a one-woman NOW! compilation - anyway, “Tell Me”’could easily have been done by Toni Braxton, it has the same mumbly Rodney Jerkins feel to it.

Meh, nothing exciting at all. Feels So Good was the only time she ever got it right.

A one-woman now compilation :D

I don't know why people make out Mel's first few singles were so awful. Tell Me is a very passable example of 99-00 R&B. She just lacked the early solo career high-points that Geri (Mi Chico Latino), Mel C (Northern Star, Never Be The Same Again, I Turn To You) and even Emma (What Took You So Long?) enjoyed. I'm sure she pissed someone off in the late 90s, because she was the worst A&R'd of them all in the immediate post-band days.

I don't know why people make out Mel's first few singles were so awful. Tell Me is a very passable example of 99-00 R&B. She just lacked the early solo career high-points that Geri (Mi Chico Latino), Mel C (Northern Star, Never Be The Same Again, I Turn To You) and even Emma (What Took You So Long?) enjoyed. I'm sure she pissed someone off in the late 90s, because she was the worst A&R'd of them all in the immediate post-band days.

the fact she was, apparently, a nightmare to work with didn't help.

I thought at the start with the Missy Elliott collab and this that Mel B was going to be my favourite solo Spice. She didn’t end up being it and the bar was not high either should I add.

Contrary to what some seem to think this track was very much of its time and sounded like it fit in with the rest of the pop and rnb genre that was so prevalent at the time.

You told me all I had to hear
I thought love was finally here

:manson:

Mel has been utterly vile for nigh on twenty years, but along with Mel C, she's by far my fave these days

The lesbian years were her best

so last night I decided to watch a youtube thingy about Mel Beh and Geru's relationship

Halli-analysis is that - it definitely happened and BEH was and is hugely resentful of Geru

I don't think I've heard it in 20 years, but I've just added to my main Spotify playlist!

I had a soft spot for this back in the day as I used to love that Darkchild sound, but even then it sounded rather shrill and unpleasant. Hearing this today it makes me wonder what they were thinking having it as the lead single?

And why did she even release her album in the middle of the group’s album release?

I think I remember reading that it was Mel herself who pushed for this to be the single

I had a soft spot for this back in the day as I used to love that Darkchild sound, but even then it sounded rather shrill and unpleasant. Hearing this today it makes me wonder what they were thinking having it as the lead single?

And why did she even release her album in the middle of the group’s album release?
Darkchild and that 'sound' is the single worst thing that ever happened to the Spice Girls :zombie:

Stupid bitch. However; it’s not like there were any particularily better choices.

Feels So Good begs to differ :disco: although I don't know what else could have possibly been released afterwards.
The whiff of desperation when she started to roll out Phoenix as a BABEH was quite a moment.

I don’t think Feels So Good is anything remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom