Melanie C - Who I Am: My Story

Voodoo

User
Who I Am: My Story (Signed Edition plus exclusive to WHSmith bonus content)

Release date: 15th September 2022

For the first time ever, Melanie C, aka Sporty Spice, tells her amazing life story in her own words and gives a full and honest account of what life was really like in the Spice Girls.

I never told my story before because I wasn't ready. Now, finally, I am. 25 years ago, The Spice Girls, a girlband that began after answering an advert in the paper, released our first single. 'Wannabe' became a hit and from that moment, my life changed for ever.

I was suddenly part of one of the biggest music groups in history, releasing hit after hit, performing to our wonderful fans and spreading the message of Girl Power to the world. It was everything I'd dreamed of growing up, and I've had some incredible times... The BRITs! The movie! Travelling the world playing iconic venues like Madison Square Garden, The O2, Wembley Stadium and The London 2012 Olympics!!!

When you're a woman, though, that power can be easily taken away by those around you, whether by pressure, exhaustion, shaming, bullying or a constant feeling like you aren't enough.

I have been known as Sporty Spice, Mel C, Melanie C or just plain old Melanie Chisholm, but what you will read within the pages of this book is who I truly am, and how I found peace with that after all these years.

I have really enjoyed reminiscing and getting everything down on the page, and, though revisiting some of my darkest times was hard, I hope this book can be inspiring and empowering as well as entertaining and give you a bit of a laugh.

Can someone tell her that the 2012 Olympics isn’t a venue.

Is there much sense of anything left unsaid about her time in the group?

Is there much sense of anything left unsaid about her time in the group?

I'd be more interested in a deep dive into the highs and lows of her solo career personally, but I appreciate that puts me very much in the minority. :D

Reactions: COB

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2022/e...-with-melanie-c

An Evening with Melanie C

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 19:30, Barbican Hall, London

MEL-C-2000-X1000-BARBICAN.jpg

For the first time ever, Melanie C, aka Sporty Spice, will tell her amazing life story in her own words, live on stage at the Barbican. “I never told my story before because I wasn’t ready. Now I am.”

In conversation to celebrate the publication of her autobiography, Who I Am: My Story, Melanie will give a full and honest account of her life in pop group sensation, The Spice Girls. Beginning in her bedroom in the North-West of England dreaming of performing on stage, Melanie will consider the meteoric rise of The Spice Girls, from a collection of singers brought together by an ad in the paper to a worldwide sensation that would spread the message of Girl Power to stadiums around the world.

Taking in the incredible highs of becoming one of the world’s most recognisable popstars – playing at Wembley, conquering the BRITs, closing the Olympics – Melanie will also talk openly about the difficult lows.

This is the ultimate Spice Girls fan event, sharing Melanie’s incredible story of resilience, hope and how you can find your power.

Last edited:

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2022/e...-with-melanie-c

An Evening with Melanie C

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 19:30, Barbican Hall, London

MEL-C-2000-X1000-BARBICAN.jpg

For the first time ever, Melanie C, aka Sporty Spice, will tell her amazing life story in her own words, live on stage at the Barbican. “I never told my story before because I wasn’t ready. Now I am.”

In conversation to celebrate the publication of her autobiography, Who I Am: My Story, Melanie will give a full and honest account of her life in pop group sensation, The Spice Girls. Beginning in her bedroom in the North-West of England dreaming of performing on stage, Melanie will consider the meteoric rise of The Spice Girls, from a collection of singers brought together by an ad in the paper to a worldwide sensation that would spread the message of Girl Power to stadiums around the world.

Taking in the incredible highs of becoming one of the world’s most recognisable popstars – playing at Wembley, conquering the BRITs, closing the Olympics – Melanie will also talk openly about the difficult lows.

This is the ultimate Spice Girls fan event, sharing Melanie’s incredible story of resilience, hope and how you can find your power.

The BARBICAN? Gracious they’re going downmarket :tongueout:

NO DEATH THREATS PLEASE SPICE FANS JUST MAKING CONVERSATION

what a rubbish cover? she's not even wearing something sporty!

Cover looks like shit but I'm looking forward to this and as @VoR said I hope it goes deep into all her solo career woes of the 2000s

*book skips from Northern Star straight to the 2012 Olympics*

I'm not going to lie, I was hoping for a little more root lift.

Melly C has always been candid about her personal life; she blurs out her daughter's face in pics, she's never had relationship drama, and has she been eternally single since 2002? What is she possibly going to talk about? You can only cover so much about her eating disorders in and out of the SG. Hopefully, she name drops the other girls for something a little bit more meatier.

Setting relationships aside, I would love a more INSIGHTFUL side of the Spice Girls' early days.

Was Victoria really absent during the Biffco tracks recording sessions?
Why was Geru shoved aside during the 2 Become 1 release?
Was she ok with Mel Beh (allegedly) being the leader of the pack?

When did she date J from 5ive? I thought it was during 200-2001, re: Thomas Starr I can't pinpoint when it happened, and has never acknowledged anyone else since?
She was with Thomas for a whole decade, between 2002-2012.

She has been with Joe, her current boyfriend, since 2015.

I honestly had no idea! and at the same time quite refreshing for a celebrity to maintain that part of her life in private. There's a reason why Mel Beh has the most books released :shock:

Her face on the front cover screams "I wouldn't buy this either".

At first glance I thought she was posing as if wearing a straight-jacket, but no it's just some white tracksuit gear and looking like she needs a wee.

its going to be no 'Just for the Record' (Iconic coffee table bookque, not to be confused with the debut 'If Only') but then, WHAT IS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom