Melodifestivalen 2019: Deltävling One - Göteborg

VoR

Take it or leave it
Melodifestivalen-2019-r.jpg

It's Melfest time again - and the Contest feels like it might be approaching a bit of a crossroads. Terrified wolf boy Benjamin Ingrosso became the fourth photogenic male solo artist to lift the trophy in 2018, but a dismal televote score in Lisbon suggested that the Swedish formula may be looking a little stale.

With a tweaked voting system in place, could the Scandi heavyweights be ready to try something a little different this year? Here are the first batch of contenders...

1. Nano - Chasing Rivers
(Lise Cabble, Linnea Deb, Joy Deb, Thomas G:son, Nano Omar)
Nano-999x562.jpg

Honking manbun Nano won the televote at Melfest 2017, but was cruelly denied the ticket to Kyiv after Robin Bengtsson swept the international jury vote. His stock has taken a bit of a hit since then with tabloid scandals and no follow up hits, but he's back this year with a crack songwriting team that suggests he's not here to play.

2. High15 - No Drama
(Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Kate Tizzard)
High15-988x556.jpg

Ah, the dead-eyed girl group. A grand Melfest tradition stretching from Bubbles to Timoteij. Apparently they were put together for Sweden's Got Talent, so this is definitely what they want to be doing right now, and whichever one does all the vocals totally won't be drafting her tweet of resignation as soon as the first round of votes comes in. Still, with the DEBS on songwriting duties, this should be diverting, if ultimately doomed.

3. Wiktoria - Not With Me
(Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Wiktoria Johansson)
Wiktoria-988x556.jpg

More DEBS! Goodness, does Sweden actually have any other songwriters left at this point? Anyway, old Sticky Wicky was a hot favourite in both 2016 and 2017, but both times came unstuck due to her unfortunate inability to sing without descending into aggressive Jessie J-esque bellowing. Fortunately she's gone with a ballid this year, so I'm sure total restraint is on the cards. Putting her on third is a bit of a slap in the face after her previous successes, so either the song isn't quite up to scratch or Christer and co still haven't shaken off the tinnitus...

4. Zeana feat. Anis don Demina - Mina Bränder
(Thomas G:son, Jimmy Jansson, Anis Don Demina, Pa Moudou Badjie)
ZeanaAnis-999x562.jpg

Well, these two look every inch the modern face of pop culture, don't they? He's a DJ/rapper who's done stuff for Samir & Viktor, she made the early live rounds on Swedish Idol. Expect a big party song with questionable vocals and a strong whiff of obligatory brand extension.

5. Arja Saijonmaa - Mina fyra årstider
(Göran Sparrdal, Arja Saijonmaa)
ArjaSaijonmaa-999x562.jpg

Look, I know I should be jumping for joy at the return of another batshit schlager diva of yore, but at this point they really are just wheeling them out for the on-air equivalent of a lethal injection, aren't they?. Apparently it's a romantic midtempo number about climate change. That'll go gangbusters with the post-millenial vote I'm sure.

6. Mohombi - Hello
(Alexandru Florin Cotoi, Thomas G:son, Mohombi Moupondo, Linnea Deb)
Mohombi-999x562.jpg

Former RedOne collaborator Mohombi had a few big hits in the early 10s with the kind of sub-Jason Derulo nonsense that included an inevitable duet with Nicole Scherzinger and the second least-tasteful sampling of Cranberries Zombie ever committed to record. He's been out of the spotlight for a while, but this should be another big party track and he's well positioned in the running order to do well.

7. Anna Bergendahl - Ashes to Ashes
(Thomas G:son, Bobby Ljunggren, Erik Bernholm, Anna Bergendahl)
AnnaBergendahl-999x562.jpg

Anna Bergendahl is of course Sweden's most hated woman, after betraying the public's trust and bringing shame on her country in 2010. Since then, she's kept a low profile and re-trained as a doctor. Now she's back for one last shot at redemption, and the pre-contest whisperings combined with a Semi One pimp slot suggest she might just have something tasty in the bag. Will Sweden be able to forgive and forget though?
Reviews: Today
Snippets: Thursday
Show: 7pm UK Time Saturday

Some songs from this year's contenders

This was High15's debut single, released last year

Anis Don Demina guested on this Samir & Viktor hit

Mohombi and Nicole (Nicole! Nicooooole!)

Anna Bergendahl's greatest hit

I forgot this starts already. Aren't you doing it then? :side-eye: if anyone else wants to do it, I didn't know I was supposed to do it again.

I know Wiktoria’s position in the running order isn’t great but I’d be quite shocked if her song was crap

Anyway I’m totally here for Anna getting her redemption (I still like This Is My Life :shy: )

Oh Arja. A romantic number about climate change. :confused:

Not the most thrilling week. It doesn't say much when Anna is the top prospect.

First reviews of the songs are in;

Nano - Basically Hold On pt. 2 with a Hozier 'Take Me To Church' sound.

High15 - Supposedly like three songs in one. Not too dissimilar to Busy Doin' Nothin'

Wiktoria - A generic run-of-the-mill ballad about heartbreak. Could be dangerous if it is performed well.

Zeana feat. Anis don Demina - A mix between Samir & Viktor and Panetoz.

Arja - Dead on arrival.

Mohombi - Mixed reviews with some saying it's the stongest and most modern pop song of the week. Other say it's forgettable midtempo.

Anna - Uptempo country pop with a schlager chorus.

I think the top 5 are pretty certain - Arja and High 15 will be out first round but it could be a number of combinations for the rest, but I guess the faves will come through and Nano (ugh) and Anna will qualify.

SNIPPETS

Anna's song will presumably build from that, because it sounds a bit run of the mill so far.
Wiktoria's is sounding like a right dull dud, which is a shame for her.
Arja's is VERY ABBA. Doomed but I really like it.
Mina Bränder is unexpectedly the best of the bunch. LOVE IT :disco:

Reactions: Hak
Bless you and your wonderfully ludicrous FInnish accent, Arrrrja.

Arja and Wiki sound like the only salvageable ones from this lot. I thought the fat rapist’s song might be quite good, but it was just a minute of rambling pre-chorus that I’ll have no part of. Not sure what the hype over Anna is about, unless it really builds it sounds dull as buggery.

The girl group song sounds good to me. PS None of them are dead-eyed in the photo.

1. Arja Saijonmaa - Mina Fyra Årstider - I am lying on the floor. What a rousing chorus - mother Arja has taken me into her arms to protect me from a world I no longer understand. Essentially this is "Statements" told from the perspective of the old woman in the iconic Loreen performance. I expect this to qualify in some form on Saturday - it's too early to call it the outright winner, but ABBA and politics respectively have never been more popular, so this is dangerous with a capital D. Hope she never dies!

2. Anna Bergendahl - Ashes to Ashes - Although I don't agree with musicality, this is undeniable. A song about redemption told through the perspective of a goat. Her decision not to set herself on fire at the end of the performance has cost her my coveted top slot but I will settle for her causing Wiktoria to replicate the classic Sibel background murder face in place of true Ashes to Ashes symbolism.

3. High15 - No Drama - I don't think the non Swedish fans quite understand how good this quartet actually are. There's one piece of work who carries the whole group and by contrast one who does absolutely nothing and will cut you if you point that out to her. I'm not fond of the song's message, but the promise of many messy moments on stage leaves me Britney Spears - Britney - 06. anticipating

4. Mohombi - Hello - I'm a really big fan of songs that follow the status quo and this is no different. Is it better than the Adele song of the same name? Yes. Is it better than Dinah Nah? No. On a calculator that equates to a fun4AndraChansen moment.

5. Zeana featuring Shirley Clamp - Mina Bränder - like if u cry everytime. In six months Penelope will message all contacts with the news that this is the greatest song of all time, and I will message back, agreeing.

6. Nano - although I do resent giving straight people what they want, [will finish this later]

7. Wiktoria - don't sit there and act like you don't know that Wiktoria actively bullied poor Alice Running With Lions Svensson during Heat 4 of 2016. And although I like her style, this is a heat of redemptions, and Heather Chandler is just going to have to settle for last place.

Anna’s song sounds promising

Wiktorias not so much sadly - surely it won’t DTG

Anna’s song sounds surprisingly good. Nano’s performance looks ridiculous.

5. Zeana featuring Shirley Clamp - Mina Bränder - like if u cry everytime. In six months Penelope will message all contacts with the news that this is the greatest song of all time, and I will message back, agreeing.
:D

IT IS

1) Nano: the excerpt in the clip feels like a buildup that unfortunately doesn't go anywhere rousing. At least those who won't vote for Nano because he's an ex-con might soften for the kids.

2) High15: a child's impression of what adulting and partying looks like. Just stick to barnkanalen

3) Wiktoria: screaming out notes and hoping they hit isn't my thing, but Wiktoria has prepared a precise choreography that can enhance the emotional drama of her ballad.

4) Zeana ft Anis don Demina: now that's how you do a generic, vaguely non-Western party song.

5) Arja: oh dear

6) Mohombi: not feeling the song so far, but the special effects behind him combine the winning formulas for Måns and B*nj*m*n

7) Anna: already preferring this to This is My Life. Though the music sounds noticeably catchier and more upbeat than the pace of the lyrics and how Anna's deep voice delivers them. Slightly jarring there

Dress Rehearsal audience poll

1. Mohombi – ”Hello”, 161 röster, 24,9 %
2. Wiktoria – ”Not With Me”, 120 röster, 18,5 %
3. Nano – ”Chasing Rivers”, 119 röster, 18,4 %
4. Anna Bergendahl – Ashes To Ashes, 88 röster, 13,6 %
5. Zeana feat. Anis Don Demina – ”Mina bränder”, 80 röster, 12,3 %
6. High 15 – ”No Drama”, 67 röster, 10,3 %
7. Arja Saijonmaa – ”Mina fyra årstider”, 13 röster, 2,0 %

Oh dear, my hopes of Anna's glorious redemption are looking shaky.

Anna sounds very Amy Macdonald. It doesn't seem like the kind of song to pull in the votes and go direct, much as I think it is likely the one I will end up going back to.

Very much looking forward to Arja cavorting in her sheet.

Getting ready to hate hard on Nano and the children. Wiktoria's ballad sounds pretty dull but I expect she'll go through.

OH JOY there is a new heart. Wondering what it means has taken more of my attention than Nano's dirge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom