Melodifestivalen 2020: Deltävling One - Linköping

VoR

Take it or leave it
sweden-melodifestivalen-2020-logo.jpg

A new decade, but will it be a new dawn for Melodifestivalen? Sweden's #1 pop fest remains an annual treat, but after five consecutive wins for male solo artists, things are in danger of getting a bit stale. Any viable oestrogen to be found in Heat One? Let's find out...

1. The Mamas - Move
(Melanie Wehbe, Patrik Jean, Herman Gardarfve)
THE-MAMAS_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-945x630.jpg

Having offered memorable support to John Lundvik in Tel Aviv last year, these buxom beauties return for a well-deserved moment in the spotlight to themselves. Promising an uptempo dance-pop number with bags of attitude, the spirit of Afro-Dite will hopefully prove to be strong in these ladies. I'm hoping for much joyous tit-shaking and a shameless vocal dogfight over who gets to bellow out the loudest ad-lib. (My money's on the Middle Mama).

2. Suzi P - Moves
(Joy Deb, Suzi Pancekov, Aniela Eklund, Malou Ruotsalainen, Chanel Tukia, Kenny Silverdique)

SUZI-P_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-1-945x630.jpg

Ticking the 'what's big on Spotify right now' box for this heat, 16 year old Suzi P had a couple of Swedish-language, hip-hop flavoured streaming hits last year. The kids might lap this up, but so far Melfest voters have generally remained resistant to this kind of stuff. Not completely chanceless, but likely to fall under the category of vaguely trendy filler.

3. Robin Bengtsson - Take a Chance
(Jimmy Jansson, Karl-Frederik Reichhardt, Marcus Winther-John)

ROBIN-BENGTSSON_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-1-945x630.jpg

Sexy in an Argos catalogue model sort of way, Robin Bengtsson returns to the contest a mere three years after he won the whole thing in 2017. Though to be fair, his career hasn't exactly been upsy upsy since then, and as Linda Bengtzing would doubtless agree, there's no shame in going where the money is. However, his song has rather disturbingly been described as 'Ed Sheeran with a Eurovision twist'. Robotboy did not die for this bullshit, Robin.

4. Malou Prytz - Ballerina
(Thomas G:son, Peter Boström, Jimmy Jansson)
MALOU-PRYTZ_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-1-945x630.jpg

A look at Malou's Melfest promo images from 2019 to 2020 tells their own story. She may not have done the full virgin-whore transformation (*Amy Diamond waves sadly from rehab*) but there's clearly an aura of grown-up sophistication being built around her this year. Ballerina has impeccable songwriting credentials behind it, and has been described as 'Billie Eilish meets SIA', which sounds like a suitably Melfest approximation of chart music in 2020. Whether the Swedish public are quite ready for Malou 2.0 of course, remains to be seen...

5. OVÖ - Inga Problem
(Nicholas Frandsen, Lukas Nathanson, Jean-Willy Akofely, Nickie Osenius Kouakou)
OVO__SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-1-945x630.jpg

More Swedish hiphop from a duo who had a big summer hit with an ode to Zara Larsson. The song has been described as 'Spotify-friendly party music for the suburbs' so expect catchy Afrobeats and ample driveway parking, I guess...

6. Sonja Aldén - Sluta Aldrig Gå
(Bobby Ljunggren, David Lindgren Zacharias, Sonja Aldén)
SONJA-ALDEN_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-945x630.jpg

This week's obligatory sacrificial lamb from days of yore, poor lovely Sonja was in many ways the canary down the mineshaft back in 2012 when her stirring ballad I din himmel tanked in the semi. Eight years have passed since then, and Melfest hasn't exactly become a kinder place for gentle Schlager balladry in the interim. This is almost certainly completely hopeless, but doubtless a nice little interval for those of us who still remember when TUNES were TUNES. Remember to smile when the votes come through, Sonja love.

7. Felix Sandman - Boys With Emotions
(Tony Ferrari, Parker James, Peter Thomas, Philip Bentley, Nicki Adamsson, Felix Sandman)

FELIX-SANDMAN_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-1-945x630.jpg

The near-certain winner of this heat, if not the entire competition, Felix was a very close runner-up to Benji Ingrosso back in 2018, and despite the chemo ward chic he's modelling in the above press shot, his career has only gone from strength to strength since then. Described as 'Justin Bieber's Sorry for the 2020s' and 'Everything haters of Sweden at Eurovision will hate', Boys With Emotions finds him hurling off the shackles of toxic masculinity for what will doubtless be another slickly produced Eurovision Jury winner that mysteriously tanks on the televote.

Snippets: Tomorrow
Show: 7pm UK Time Saturday​

Last edited:
Who's going to be this year's classic heat one fifth placer? My cash is on MALOU or THE MUMS

I have a feeling that Suzi P isn’t exactly what I was hoping for

The Mamas absolutely SCREAM fifth.

Not to pre-empt the ever successful prediction game, but pre-clips I reckon

DTF: Felix & Malou
AC: Robin & Ovö
5th: The Mamas
6th: Sonja
7th: Suzi P

The press reports I’ve read suggest that Robin has far-and-away the best song of the week. Wiktoria won Heat 1 from the same spot in the running order last year, too.

DTF: Felix & Robin
AC: Malou & Ovö
5th: The Mamas
6th: Sonja
7th: Suzi P

Why is Sonja even bothering with YET ANOTHER dreary, old ballad?

Easily the worst of the schlager hags.

So over this.

Please tag me for any potential Moopy friendly treats. Thanks.

Reactions: Zu
Sonja DTF

Doesn’t the first heat always have some nonsense for the old people to vote through before they get bored?

Sonja DTF

Doesn’t the first heat always have some nonsense for the old people to vote through before they get bored?

That seems to be Heat Three these days, and it's generally more the moment when the gays of Sweden unite behind the closest approximation to a Schlager banger (Lina Hedlund, Jessica Andersson etc.)

Poor Sonja seems to fall more into the Heat One tragic old bag who goes nowhere with a lilting ballad category. (Kikki D, Arja, Charlotte...)

Am wondering if my VPN will extend to letting me vote using the rubbish app.

Or do you have to register with some sort of citizen's ID?

I just checked, you have to pay for it? Forget it, as if I'm going to spend money to vote in MF when it will be bloody Felix who wins anyway. :angry:

Reactions: D5K
I'm so excited for this.

COME THRU FELIX AND MALOU AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE MAMAS AND ROBIN

I assume I can watch it legitimately from Canada until Tuesday?

Felix is every bit as soulless as I expected. Just dull.
On song quality alone, I’d say the Mamas and Malou should go DTF. Clearly this is not what will happen AT ALL.

I love the sound of both Felix and Robin. Slightly disappointed in The Mamas.

Robin’s is interesting, I can’t quite work out where it’s going.

Sweden had best pray Felix doesn’t win, he’ll do their reputation no favours at Eurovision.

Felix is every bit as soulless as I expected. Just dull.
On song quality alone, I’d say the Mamas and Malou should go DTF. Clearly this is not what will happen AT ALL.

Two only female acts haven’t gone DTF since 2009. So it’s not gonna happen. They’ll be lucky if either of them do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom