Melodifestivalen 2020: Deltävling One - Linköping

Seriously, someone needs to sit the entire Melodifestivalen songwriting gang and Bjorkman down with Dua Lipa's "Physical" and "Don't Start Now" this summer and go "Look, you can write 3 min songs with a proper chorus that are all out pop and interesting".

The Schlager years of the 2000s are gone and the whole thing has moved ahead but put a good song or three in there. The majority of tonight was utterly derivative and not in a great way.

I think part of the problem is that Bjorkman clearly lost interest years ago and passed responsibility for the songs to this one from YOOF RADIO. Taking last year's SHOWER into account as well, we can safely say she ain't got a clue.

1280@80.jpg

Last edited:
5th - Sonja Aldén - 661,376 (after two rounds of voting)
6th - OVÖ - 633,485
7th - Suzi P - 582,520

Safe to say Sonja WOULDN'T have made it top 5 on the old system

Robin was ok, but the staging was shit if you compare it with the rest. I would have prefered The Mamas & Malou DTF, but we very well know 2 female acts DTF doesn't happen since 2008.

5th - Sonja Aldén - 661,376 (after two rounds of voting)
6th - OVÖ - 633,485
7th - Suzi P - 582,520

Safe to say Sonja WOULDN'T have made it top 5 on the old system
Which old system? There've been so many I get confused.

The one where it was just done on raw votes, rather than an electoral college of the different age groups.

Approaching full loon mode for The Mamas. 13/10, and that's taking the unfortunate WAIL towards the end into account

Thought it was a great show and a strong selection of songs.

My rankings:

1. Felix Sandman - Statements - oh sorry everyone for daring to be sparse. sorry for daring to be different. sorry for dreaming.
2. Robin Bengtsson - Take a Chance - loved this hungover nonsense. Very melodic but also quite evil.
3. Sónjâ Àldën - Stop Attacking Me - translated this song is about being attacked on social media, which is all very ironical because nobody follows poor old Sonyah! (sp?) This was indeed the second coming and a visual triumph - it had an air of dignity about it that Shirley Clamp would have ruined by wearing a purple miniskirt and terrible hair.
4. Malou Prytz - Ballerina - As GCSE Art projects go this was very compelling and I enjoyed the Black Swan homage, nice touch to make a kidnapped Sara Li do the dancing in the background too.
5. The Mamas - Move - can you imagine the texts that were being sent during this performance -

Kayo: u guys watching??
Blossom: absolutely fuming
Kayo: why didn’t they call us to do it
Blossom: did christer ever reply to your email??
Gladys has left the group chat

6. OVÖ - Inga Problem - great staging but what ever happened to Upp o Hoppa Frida? Just kidding, I know she died.
7. Jentina - Moves - this was extraordinary because she literally had the worst moves of all time. Were her trousers full of bricks? Apparently when she didn’t qualify she called the police!

Bless Sonja struggling her way to 5th. I agree she is essentially Shirley Clamp with dignity. LOVED the Jesus pose :D

The Mamas were a lovely surprise and I was living for the terrible ad-libbing.

Robin's song sounded great during the reprise but it's SO BORING in full.

Poor little Malou really didn't have the RANGE for that one.

Felix would absolutely bomb at Eurovision with that, so I hope this puts him out of contention. I was howling with laughter at his UTTERLY INSUFFERABLE hipster L.A. songwriters.

Speaking of insufferable, Sean Banan remains the absolute worst. Loved Lina and LILI OCH SUSIE, but that medley turned into a a right racket at the end.

I'm not expecting the winner to come from this Semi, but can you IMAGINE if Sweden's answer to the charge of being samey at Eurovision was to literally send the same bland white man twice in four years? :D

You can get odds of 20/1 on Felix to win the whole thing; given he has four weeks of radio airplay ahead of him it might be worth a punt.

I can see Felix not reaching the final, with the free voting and the duels system, he's going to get so many votes against him, like many other favourites or winners that came back too soon did (Carola, Loreen). Fingers crossed.

I can confirm that the studio version of Boys With Emotions isn't awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom