Melodifestivalen 2020: Deltävling Three - Luleå

VoR

Take it or leave it
Last week, the streak was broken when two *gasp* WOMEN went DTF for the first time in a decade.

Sadly, neither of them was Linda Bengtzing, who crashed out in sixth. Following Sonja in heat one, which of our darlings will be cast into the flames this week? Here are the candidates...

1. Mariette - Shout It Out
(Thomas G:son, Cassandra Ströberg, Alex Shield, Mariette Hansson)
MARIETTE_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x655.jpg

Sweden's favourite Lesbian, Mariette has hit the top five with all three of her previous entries. She feels like somebody who really SHOULD win at some point, but her last effort was really quite the let down in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully this one will be closer to the SHIMMERING BEAUTY of A Million Years. Anyway she's a very good performer and isn't hated like Linda Bengtzing, so this should have a very good shout at going through in some form.

2. Albin Johnsén - Livet börjar nu
(Robin Stjernberg, Albin Johnsén, Gino Yonan)
ALBIN-JOHNSEN_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

Albin had a big Swedish #1 i 2014 with Din Soldat and made AC at Melfest 2016 with Rik. No, I didn't remember it either.

3. Drängarna - Piga & Dräng
(Anders Wigelius, Robert Norberg, Jimmy Jansson)
DRANGARNA_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

This year's obligatory shouty dansband entry. I've sort of made my peace with this stuff now. At least it's usually fun and vaguely tuneful. Likely to go to AC at least on the form of previous entries in this mould.

4. Amanda Aasa - Late
(Amanda Aasa, Siri Jansson, Erik Grahn, Alex Shield)
AMANDA-AASA_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

This year's obligatory winner of P4 nästa, a contest for musical newcomers which has launched such glittering Melfest superstars as Julia Alvgard, Therese Fredenwall and Smilo. Set your expectations for this accordingly.

5. Anis Don Demina - Vem E Som Oss
(Anderz Wrethov, Johanna Elkesdotter Wrethov, Anis Don Demina, Robin Svensk)
ANIS-DON-DENIMA_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x639.jpg

This chubby funster was knocked out in 5th last year with the quite boppy Mina bränder, which went on to do quite well on Spotify. Now he's solo, with quite a strong songwriting pedigree behind him. However, his most recent single is a very boring duet with Eric Saade. This could go either way.

6. Faith Kakembo - Crying Rivers
(Jörgen Elofsson, Liz Rodrigues)
FAITH-KAKEMBO_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

A relative newcomer with a high-pedigree songwriting team behind her. Allegedly this was originally written for Celine Dion. Alas, her latest album was an absolute snoozefest, so that may not be as exciting an endorsement as one would hope. We'll see.

7. Mohombi - Winner
(Jimmy Jansson, Mohombi, Palle Hammarlund)

MOHOMBI_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

Mohombi's lyrical miracle Hello was one of the big hits from last year's contest, so a swift return was probably inevitable. The 'dress for the job you want' title suggests high ambitions for this, so don't be surprise if it emerges as a frontrunner.

Press reviews: Tuesday
SNIPPETS: Wednesday
Show: 7pm UK Time Saturday

Reactions: Zu
I've heard rumours Mariette is performing with a GUITAR so I wouldn't set your expectations too highly.

Amanda looks like a right BARREL OF LAUGHS.

If Faith's entry isn't a re-write of 'Flying On My Own' then I'm not interested.

Last edited:
I've heard rumours Mariette is performing with a GUITAR so I wouldn't set your expectations to highly.

Always an idea to keep them quite low with her :side-eye:

She looks far too apologetic to ever be a winner and can she please just STOP THE HAIR :argh:

:D Someone just strap her down and give her a nice demi-wave or perky bob FFS

Also :D at old Locky not being “hated like Linda Bengtzing” (courtesy of @VoR). Always a positive! :tongueout:

Actually I imagine that she smells of PATCHOULI. Which personally I rather like :side-eye:

Reactions: Hak
I feel like Mariette was MEANT to win on whatever her third try was (I've genuinely FORGOTTEN the song), but unfortunately the song and performance was SHIT.
I think it will be a case of diminishing returns for her from now on :eyes:

I also think A Million Years would have done BIG BUSINESS had it got to Eurovision - albeit ideally representing somewhere like SERBIA instead of Sweden.

In other news: fuck off Mohombi :angry:

This semi looks ALL VERY DRY.

I think I like Don't Stop Believing best of Mariette's entries so it really has been downhill all the way.

Yeah, this lineup doesn't make me froth at all.

I like the look of Drängarna. That Amanda looks like the sort of person who has children with names like Beacon and Sebastienne, and goes on Good Morning Britain to get shouted at by Piers Morgan because she’s raised them on a tofu-only diet.

Reactions: Hak
I would've been happy with a good five or six songs from the last heat progressing. Can we bring Klara and Linda back instead of having to keep four around from this week.

I don’t like the look of any of them apart from the one who’s second from left in Drängarna, and I see that they’ve let Mariette loose on the styling och consulting front with that mohawk :side-eye:

Still, an accordion always gets my vote :disco:

Also, NO to the chubby funster, before anyone starts getting ideas and quacking HERE’S ONE FOR ZU. I’ve seen enough of the world to know a TINY WILLY FACE when I see one

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Faith yet. That publicity shot screams Patti Boulaye does Celebrity Apprentice, I thought that would be right up Moopy’s cup of tea and two sugars.

Reactions: Zu
Mariette's song sounds dreadful based on the description. :zombie:

Think female coldplay.

And thinking about "Shout it out" - it is not actually that far from how David Lindgren's songs usually sounded (without the dance beat)

Oh dear. This doesn't bode well, though these early descriptions aren't exactly renowned for their accuracy.

The reviews for this heat seem very tepid in general. Seriously, they couldn't have thrown Linda a bone?!

Anyway, Faith and Mohombi got the best reactions from the press. Mariette will make AC at least I'd say, as she's a good performer.

PREDICTIONS:

DTF: Faith & Mohombi
AC: Mariette & Drängarna
5th: Anis
6th: Albin
7th: Amanda

I know I sound like a broken record with the gay hyperbole but WORST YEAR EVER.

Last edited:
Unless we get some masterpieces in the last heat this is going to be a terrible final line up. (Spoiler: we won't).

I'm still waiting for an 11/10 wow moment, but I like all the finalists so far (Robin a fair bit less than the rest but it's not offensive or anything).

Robin is probably the most boring thing in the final so far. Inoffensive but dull, they didn't even bother with the camera work for the first 2 minutes.

I think it's been a pretty decent line final up so far. Whether we have heard the winner yet I don't know, but I doubt it's going to be in semi final 3 from reactions. Hanna Ferm might actually be in with a shout! As much as it would be lovely, I don't see Anna getting the jury votes, when she didn't last year, but who knows.

As for AC so far, it's hard to judge, as all 4 songs are rather aimed at the younger audience, and you need to have cross appeal to do well now. If Malou can shape up she might have a chance to make the final. It would be funny to see Paul and Felix against each other in the duel, but I guess they both came third so that won't happen, will it?

It’s been a fantastic year so far - I actually think some of you don’t even know what you want really. The UK would kill for most of the songs so far.

Are they songs you're going to keep playing after MF, like you did with the MF songs 12 years ago? I know I won't.

Melodifestivalen is light years ahead of all other national finals bar Italy, Lithuania and sometimes Ukraine. It is high excellence in its field to the extent where I don’t understand how you can be a Eurovision fan and not follow and enjoy Melodifestivalen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom