Melodifestivalen 2021: Deltävling Two

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
This write-up is dedicated to the memory of @Suomi's Dungeons & Dragons avatar, who I'm told hurled himself dramatically into a ravine mid-quest when ill news arrived about the fate of a revered wench back in his native land.

Fortunately, this weekend's crop features fewer beloved family members for the Swedes to disembowel before our very eyes, so let's just enjoy the breather and gird our loins for heat 3, shall we? :(

1. Anton Ewald - New Religion
(Jonas Wallin, Joe Killington, Anton Ewald, Maja Strömstedt)
antonewaldmelfest212.png

"Sweden needs to decide - do they want to send a pop star to Eurovision, or do they want to send Sanna Nielsen?" (Anton Ewald, 2014)

Decide they very much did, and in one of the last unambiguously satisfying results of a Melodifestivalen final (unless you were team Ace/Alcazar/Helena - GOD WHAT A YEAR), our 6ft 7 Goddess romped to victory, while poor Anton landed a humiliating JUMBO PLATS with the voters.

If you ever want to watch a man shit himself and die on camera, I highly recommend the deliciously cruel first 10 seconds of this video. It truly never gets old.

Since then, his career in ruins, Anton fled to L.A. for half a decade to pursue a career as a 'model and choreographer' - which almost certainly means there's an Onlyfans account somewhere or other.

Until now, when like the answer to a question literally nobody asked, he's BACK and promising a big stage show for this apparent The Weeknd inspired party tune.

Having not released any new music since 2017, it's questionable how much the audience will still care, but he is still on the right side of 30 and in possession of a cock, so I suppose we can't totally rule this out.

2. Julia Alfrida - Rich
(Julia Alfrida, Jimmy Jansson, Melanie Wehbe)
juliaalfridamelfest212.png

The winner of last year's Svensktoppen Nästa - basically Moopyvision Karaoke with less enticing commercial prospects - Julia Alfrida now gets to claim her life dream of being shoved out second in a Melodifestivalen heat.

Away from Melfest, her music could sort of be described as emo-lesbian-hiphop, always a sure thing to win over Ingrid and Sven from Västerbotten. Her song has been compared to Royals by Lorde, but less 'Oh that's a really fresh and exciting new pop track, much like Royals by Lorde was!' and more 'Oh for God's sake, that just sounds like a cheap knock-off of Royals by Lorde!'

The anticipation is almost unbearable, isn't it?

3. WAHL feat. SAMI - 90-talet
(Sami Rekik, Christopher Vahlberg, Josefin Glenmark, Jesper Welander, Andreas Larsson)
wahlmelfest212.png

As a gay of a certain age (34), I'm obviously all in on an unabashed slice of 90s nostalgia set to music, so on concept alone this one has my attention. That said, both WAHL and SAMI are members of popular hiphop acts, so I'm not entirely sure I'm going to get the mashup of Spice Girls and Honey to the Bee-era Billie Piper that continues to define MY view of the decade.

Reviews suggest it's actually more of an 80s synth-pop throwback, which reeks of false advertising, but still doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world. They look a bit too serious (and at insufficiently high risk of imminently contracting type two diabetes) in their promo image to bring Anis Don Demina levels of spectacle, but I expect this to be enjoyable in an Andra Chansen sort of way.

4. Frida Green - The Silence
(Anna Bergendahl, Bobby Ljunggren, David Lindgren Zacharias, Joy Deb)
fridagreenmelfest212.png

With the name of a weed-loving drag queen and the undercut of a provincial northern lesbian, Frida Green couldn't be giving off stronger '5th-billed at a Pride Festival' if she was competing with a tinny cover of a Laura Branigan song.

Still, this was penned by our resurgent Mekon queen Anna Bergendahl, who knows her way around a catchy hook these days. Frida cut her teeth on Sweden's Got Talent, where she showcased some impressive vocal chops which this song apparently showcases very well. Could be a dark horse in this semi.

5 Eva Rydberg & Ewa Roos - Rena rama ding dong
(Göran Sparrdahl, Kalle Rydberg, Ari Lehtonen)
evaewamelfest212.png

I mean honestly, it's just pandering at this point, isn't it? They send Jessica Andersson sincerely attempting to stay current(ish) on a one-way trip to the knackers yard, then wheel out a pair of leathery old panto dames and expect us to be grateful. This'll probably go straight to the final too, the fucking condescending bastards.

Oh, who am I kidding? Just hook it to my veins!

6 Patrik Jean - Tears Run Dry
(Herman Gardarfve, Patrik Jean, Melanie Wehbe)
patrikjeanmelfest212.png

Paging @Penelope! I think we've found our first comedy gay of the season!

Patrik Jean is probably no relation to Wyclef, but based on the amount of touché éclat he's trawled on for the above promo image, a shared lineage cannot be 100% ruled out at this stage. He's quite popular on the streams, with a sound that seems to hew towards vaguely gospel-inspired pop.

His entry has been compared to John Lundvik's winner from a couple of years ago, and he produced the very good Mamas single Let It Be, so you can definitely get a sense of the sort of thing we're likely to get here.

7 Dotter - Little Tot
(Johanna ‘Dotter’ Jansson, Dino Medanhodzic)
dottermelfest212.png

In the grand tradition of the Melfest of yore, flame-haired maven Dotter yelper her way to tantalisingly-near Melfest victory in 2019 with a belting pop hook, a clever visual gimmick and a vocal that teetered compellingly on the edge of total disaster at all times.

Ultimately, those loveable Mamas pipped her to the post, but she still got a massive career boost out of it, and so now we have the inevitable primed-for-victory comeback.

Already an eyebrow-raiser on account of that title, Little Tot is apparently edgy, dynamic and a grower that has garnered comparisons to Loreen's Statements - which, as we all remember was a massive success that effortlessly saw Loreen win Melfest, Eurovision and ultimately the Nobel Peace Prize.

Suffice to say, there's a heavy weight of expectation here, and a lot that could potentially go wrong. For the younger viewers, that nervous excitement you're feeling is what fuelled us through no fewer than seventeen Linda Bengtzing entries. Until the moment Anton Ewald sees her off in a horrifying Globen or Bust moment, suggest we all embrace the welcome dose of chaotic energy.

Snippets: Thursday
Clips: Saturday 6th February​

Last edited by a moderator:
Whereas this week, I’ve only heard of two of them...

Can't you just wait until vor opens it himself during the week? :vomit: I don't understand the rush :D

Thanks @Soldi - I'll do a nice write-up as soon as I can be arsed.

Dotter is obviously the draw here, although I'm a bit nervous as to what lyrical miracles await us in LITTLE TOT. :eyes:

Frida Green released a single as a tribute to environmental activist Greta Thunberg titled "What Would Greta Do?

DEAR GOD :zombie:

Reactions: Hak
Yes this one looks like the least exciting (on paper) which i suppose is right for the second heat.

Little Tot? What the fuck is that title :D

I am actually most looking forward to Anton’s entry, I really enjoy both Natural and Begging :shy:

Last edited:
I have NO IDEA how well Dotter could do here. Everyone thought she’d be a contender to win Melfest in 2018 yet she didn’t even make it out of the first round in her heat, then she surprisingly went direkt last year, had all the momentum behind her going into the final, and lost by a point.

The poor loves had QUITE THE JOURNEY :D

As for Anton I want something as good as Begging but with the nocals of Natural :disco:

I'm very excited for the first Eva. As for what I've read about Ewa she just seem to be a disinterested friend dragged along so that Eva doesn't have to do it herself, I wonder if that'll show in the performance.

Dotter was basically a nobody in 2018 though, so while the huge flop was a disappointment after all the hype she got, she was never a sure thing.

She's much more of a name post-Bulletproof, I'd have thought.

The two last Patrik Jean singles sound quite "spotify"-friendly, which .. make of that what you will, really.

Ewald has described his entry as "uptempo", "full of energy" and "raw" :eyes:

I've a hard time figuring out what Little Tot will sound and look like.

She's described it as more "MAXED OUT" than bullet proof but also as a "modern lullaby", it's about everyone "coming together" but still "realizing your true potential" while "being aware of your won ego".

I've googled Patrol to check if I fancy him, but he's like one of those guys on grindr who look different in every pic, and it's pot luck which one turns up at your house.

And 9 times out of 10 it’s the most grim one.

I've a hard time figuring out what Little Tot will sound and look like.

She's described it as more "MAXED OUT" than bullet proof but also as a "modern lullaby", it's about everyone "coming together" but still "realizing your true potential" while "being aware of your won ego".
This sounds like a really enthusiastic way of her saying 'don't get too attached'. :(

Patrik said something about the song making you want to cry and dance, so I haven’t written it off quite yet.

I see that not only did he co-write "Move" and "Let It Be" by The Mamas, Patrik has also written for Marcus & Martinus and SuRie's brother :disco: I feel like it's a safe bet for an AC slot

Reactions: Hak
I see that not only did he co-write "Move" and "Let It Be" by The Mamas, Patrik has also written for Marcus & Martinus and SuRie's brother :disco: I feel like it's a safe bet for an AC slot
I don’t know if I’m ready to take the fact that he’s written for someone LESS successful than SuRie as a sign of quality just yet.

Eva & Ewa lyrics are definitely made with a dance rutine in mind, they’re going after the family vote!

Entry Bible for #2-1: Anton Ewald ”New Religion”
Låtskrivare:
Jonas Wallin, Joe Killington, Anton Ewald, Maja Strömstedt.
5fc12f1e94fbb_thumbnail.jpg

Artist: Anton Ewald
• Name: Anton Ewald
• Born: August 7, 1993 (age 27).
• Lives: Stockholm.
• Raised: Stockholm.
• Melodifestivalen history:
2021:
”New Religion” (artist, songwriter and producer)
2018: ”Never Learn” (songwriter and producer, the entry was performed by Olivia Eliasson)
2016: ”Save Me” (choreographer, the entry was performed by Wiktoria)
2014: ”Natural” (artist)
2013: ”Begging” (artist)
2012: ”Amazing” (dancer and backing vocalist, the entry was performed by Danny Saucedo), ”Aldrig aldrig” (dancer and choreographer, the entry was performed by Andreas Lundstedt)
2009: ”The Queen” (dancer, the entry was performed by Velvet)
• Other: Anton was discovered at age 14 by Jennie Widegren, who let him into the legendary Bounce Streetdance Company, both as a choreographer and dancer. In the 2021 Melodifestivalen, Anton is working with Jennie once more, since she is one of the show creators for his entry. Anton is also reunited with Robin Haghi and Daniel Koivunen, the backing dancers who joined him on stage in ”Begging” of 2013 as well as in ”Natural” of 2014.

Production
Performers
• Dancers: Robin Haghi and Daniel Koivunen.
• Off stage in house backing vocalist: Lars Säfsund.

Show creators
• Show creators: Lotta Furebäck, Sacha Jean-Baptiste and Jennie Widegren.
• Choreographers: Anton Ewald and Robin Haghi.

Special effects and props
• Laser.

Theme: Rhythmical, cocky, flirtatious.

Camera cuts
• Approximately 62.

Anton on his entry:
– My song was created when I sat down with the songwriters in a studio session. We came up with this bang-on melody for the chorus, and after that we just felt that we had the song, it was all set. You'll get action, plenty of dancing, plenty of energy, and I'll give it my all.

The Songwriters
Anton Ewald, Joe Killington, Maja Strömstedt and Jonas Wallin.

Anton and Jonas Wallin has previously taken part together as songwriters, for Olivia Eliasson's ”Never Learn”, which advanced to the Second Chance round in 2018.

Anton Ewald

• Melodifestivalen songs as a songwriter: 2.
• History:
2021:
”New Religion” (also as the artist)
2018: ”Never Learn” (songwriter)

Joe Killington

• Melodifestivalen songs as a songwriter: Debutant.
• Other: Joe is a British singer-songwriter who has released music since 2007.

Maja Strömstedt

• Melodifestivalen songs as a songwriter: Debutant.
• Other: Maja is daughter of the Swedish TV celebrity Agneta Sjödin and the artist and Melodifestivalen winner Niklas Strömstedt. Niklas has taken part in Melodifestivalen both as an artist (2008) and songwriter. He won the contest in 1992 with the ballad ”I morgon är en annan dag”, performed by Christer Björkman.

Jonas Wallin

• Melodifestivalen songs as a songwriter: 4.
• History:
2021:
”New Religion”
2018: ”Never Learn”
2017: ”As I Lay Me Down”
2016: ”Save Me”
• Other: Jonas is a songwriter and musician who goes under the stage name ”The High”. Apart from releasing his own songs, he has written music together with Avicii, Wyclef Jean, Björn Dixgård and others.

”New Religion” - Lyrics
Here all alone in the darkness
Won’t you come play on my weakness
You know I’m here and I feel it
Come on

When we collide like a car crash
You’re my condition, my whiplash
Coming alive when we’re in distortion

When the lights are low
Oh, it’s calling
I can hear your

Distorted heartbeat play with mine
Baby don’t kill the rhythm

Do what you want to I don't mind
We found a New Religion

You kick me down like four to the floor
I come alive every time your

We found a New Religion
Baby don't kill the rhythm

Ain’t got no time for no silence
The sound of your voice is my guidance
You’re always there when I need it
Come on

You now that you're my addiction
You got me loving this friction
Coming alive when we’re in distortion

When the lights are low
Oh, it’s calling
I can hear your

We found a New Religion

We found a New Religion

We found a New Religion

We found a New Religion

I can hear your

We found a New Religion
Baby don't kill the rhythm

We found a New Religion
Baby don’t
kill the rhythm

Rena rama ding dong
Come and wiggle your foot
The knees comes right after
Come and wiggle your hip
It’ll make you feel a bit better

Come and clap your hand
Make everyone hear
Come and shake your body
Lift the roof, let's go!

Yes! We’ll sing, we’ll dance!
Yes! We’ll sing, we’ll dance!
Are we expecting schlager? I know schlager, women, and women singing schlager are Christer’s three least favourite things, but we can but dream.

Oh no nothing like leva livet. This is a pure comedy act, Eva Rydberg is like the great grandma of Swedish revue comedy.

It'll be more like Owe from a few years back although at the ripe age of 77s she still young enough not to have to go on stage in a walker and can still bust out some moves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom