Melodifestivalen 2021: Grand Final

For what it's worth I watched with a couple of straight casuals. (I KNOW, THE HORROR) and their reactions were as follows

They hated Eric, one of them genuinely found it to be the worst of the night.

When Dotter came on "Well, this is clearly the best one. It's going to win, right?" (:()

They were whelmed by Tusse, but felt if it was on Eurovision they'd probably enjoy it. Consensus was that he's delightful but the song's a bit weak.

They weren't keen on Charlotte but they humoured me.

They hated Eric, one of them genuinely found it to be the worst of the night.
I get this totally. It would have been interesting to see if their reaction was as visceral if they'd just heard the studio version, but for me the presentation was what destroyed it on the night.

Still better than Tusse, as I don't remember anything about that presentation at all other than a shit suit.

Yeah, for all the hype it got, I think Eric's stage show ultimately came off rather cringe.

It was absolutely a performance that would have tanked in the televote a'la Benjamin, so I think Sweden dodged a bullet.

Yeah, for all the hype it got, I think Eric's stage show ultimately came off rather cringe.

It was absolutely a performance that would have tanked in the televote a'la Benjamin, so I think Sweden dodged a bullet.
I feel like if they'd have revamped the staging, the song itself could definitely have fared much better than Voices.

The absolute temerity of Sweden aping the contest with Love, Love, Peace, Peace in 2016, then sending it as their entry in 2021.

Re Eric, when is Sweden's biggest prank channel on YouTube releasing their 'We got someone on Melfest to do the stupidest dance moves we could think of' video

Personally I'm at peace with Tusse winning. Not my preferred choice, but I think it has a natural place in the final as by far the most commercial of the ballad entries, and he's an interesting performer.

I reckon it'll perform decently. Probably around 4th.

They were whelmed by Tusse, but felt if it was on Eurovision they'd probably enjoy it. Consensus was that he's delightful but the song's a bit weak.

This does seem to be the most common opinion amongst fans of the contest, but also those who tuned in for the first time over the six week's last night. He's much better than the song, and so much more likable than it too.

I've also seen a lot of people say that they hoped he wouldn't win and then come back next year with the all-conquering smash he deserves.

But it's hard to argue with public vote and the pre-contest streaming stats. Sweden wanted that song badly. So it's for the best that they got it.

KKwF.gif

Is it too early to open Moopyfestivalen for this year tomorrow? :disco:

I'm happy to go and host Semi-Final 1 and then if someone else is more keen to do it, they can take over (otherwise I am happy to do the full thing).
Go for it! Question is whether there's enough interest to do four semis, an AC, and a final, or possibly combine all of the semis in one go so it doesn't take six weeks.

Go for it! Question is whether there's enough interest to do four semis, an AC, and a final, or possibly combine all of the semis in one go so it doesn't take six weeks.

Good point! I think either combine all semi-finals at once or I'll do Semi-Final 1 & 2 together, then 3 & 4 together, AC and the Final so that's it just 4 weeks.

Well, I've listened to the winner a couple of times now and it seems like such a big dull dud. If it was anyone other than Sweden, we'd be looking at a probable non-qualifier. It isn't even interesting enough to be actively offensive.

I'm quite pleased with the result despite "Voices" not being my favourite of the night or year by any stretch. A Dotter victory would've been a tad bittersweet with "Bulletproof" being better, and I would've felt so bad for The Mamas to lose out to someone who's represented Sweden as the lead act before (Eric).

It's another very safe top 10 for Sweden, but I'll need a lot of convincing to believe that it's going to do significantly better than John Lundvik in the televote, to the extent that it's a contender to win.

Well, I've listened to the winner a couple of times now and it seems like such a big dull dud. If it was anyone other than Sweden, we'd be looking at a probable non-qualifier. It isn't even interesting enough to be actively offensive.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we pay dmlaw the big money.

I saw a tweet saying Voices is the kind of song everyone expected the UK to send and flop with and it's all I can think about

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom