Melodifestivalen 2021 News

Putting The Mamas in a heat with Saade, and not even in the pimp slot, does strike as slightly CRUEL, but we'll see.

Heat One - Paul Rey and Danny Saucedo will be the hot favourites to go Direkt, but we've seen how the young male contenders can struggle more than you might expect (HI FELIX BYE FELIX). Arvingarna and Jessica Andersson presumably scrapping for AC/a surprise qualifier. The Heat one opener is generally fun for 5th place so I don't expect too much from Kataidou, and Nathalie Brydolf is probably filler. Lillasyster have the hard rock song that could go either way, but I feel like that genre doesn't get as far as it used to.

Predictions: Danny & Paul Rey Direct, Arvingarna & Jessica Andersson AC

Heat Two - Dotter not walking this would be a shock. Anton on paper should follow, but he hasn't really kept up much of a profile as far as I can tell. WAHL feat. Sami could be the party song that qualifies, and Frida Green could stand out enough to nab a ticket to AC. The old ladies are clear filler, and Julia & Patrick are essentially nobodies who would require a real standout performance to go anywhere.

Predictions: Dotter & WAHL feat. Sami Direkt. Anton & Frida Green AC.

Heat Three - On paper this is a VERY kind heat for our Charl, but we'll see. :bruised: Tusse the most obvious qualifier - he recently won Swedish Idol so he has a fanbase, plus the pimp slot bodes well for him. Mustasch is one to watch if he hasn't fully been CANCELLED by then, as apparently there are some dodgy accusations floating around about him getting a bit handsy. Alvaro is probably fun for AC at best, as is Klara unless she really raises her game. Elisa's promised style of old school balladry doesn't tend to translate into votes any more. Maybe Emil will have a breakout moment? Basically this one is WIDE OPEN.

Predictions: Tusse & Mustasch Direkt. Charlotte Perrelli and Emil Assergård for AC.

Heat Four - This feels like the most obvious top two, Eric is clearly going in hard and The Mamas will have enormous amounts of goodwill behind them. Heat four often contains a bit of fun that goes the distance, so watch out for Sannex. That last AC slot is probably anybody's.

Predictions: Eric & The Mamas direkt. Sannex & Klara to AC.

I'm not sure the Mama's will have enormous amounts of goodwill, and before we've heard the songs I'd say they are more likely to go to AC. That said, putting them against Eric isn't such a bad thing, if their song/performance are good enough they'll see him off.

Someone else who I follow watched it said that it was mentioned that The Mamas were constantly moving around the running order AND that they hadn’t considered giving anyone other than Eric the pimp slot.

Someone else who I follow watched it said that it was mentioned that The Mamas were constantly moving around the running order AND that they hadn’t considered giving anyone other than Eric the pimp slot.

I’m about to watch this and will come back with any necessary TIDBITS

Shirley Clamp hosting ANDRA CHANSEN is also delightful. And crazy Pernilla is in the mix.

Charlotte's been given what feels like a very good opportunity. ON PAPER.

a good year to get invested - Lena is hosting the first heat :disco:

I am MANY things but OUT OF THE LENA LOOP is certainly not one of them. Why the FALOOLA do you think I'm interested in the first place?

"Carola, I've heard you've already booked your hotel room in Athens. Is that true?" :disco:

ICONIC.

With barely concealed DISDAIN on her face.

And the song about her TITS.

I’m hoping this is a GLORIOUS RETURN and they let her and Petra host next year after an equally glorious Sweden win :disco:

Shirley Clamp hosting ANDRA CHANSEN is also delightful. And crazy Pernilla is in the mix.

Charlotte's been given what feels like a very good opportunity. ON PAPER.

I was primed and ready for Lena but didn't realise that Shirl had got a hosting gig. How wonderful.

This year really looks like it should be properly good. Hopefully the songs are up to scratch.

Apparently there are 3 Eurovision winners, 5 at a push. I mean, I’m pretty sure that’s said every year

Odds:

11/4 Danny Saucedo
9/2 Eric Saade
11/2 Dotter
7/1 Tusse
8/1 The Mamas
14/1 Charlotte Perrelli

Charlotte sixth in the odds is impressive. Anyone gambling on Danny is throwing their money away. Tusse seems like a good bet

I could see those crazy Swedes sending something in Swedish. I don’t know why.

Hoping for Dotter to lose to the Mamas by one point again

Reactions: Hak
Apparently there are 3 Eurovision winners, 5 at a push. I mean, I’m pretty sure that’s said every year
Oh, I only listened with half an ear but I interpreted them like she thought there’s three acts with obvious Mello winning potential. At least five acts would do really well at ESC (they mentioned top 5?) but that some of them would be less competitive in Sweden. Then at the end she said at least one had Eurovision winning potential.

Oh, I only listened with half an ear but I interpreted them like she thought there’s three acts with obvious Mello winning potential. At least five acts would do really well at ESC (they mentioned top 5?) but that some of them would be less competitive in Sweden. Then at the end she said at least one had Eurovision winning potential.

Oh I just read that, I still haven’t found a copy of the livestream :( it’s like I’m being punished for not getting up that early !

Same here. I want to become a proper loon, @Suomi help me to become one please x

I think last year was the first one I ever did properly back to back and I can't imagine not being invested again.

I mostly have NO idea of the history, references, the people, the presenters etc which everyone here seems to know inside out, so I find it quite scary posting anything :D But it's so worth it and you can see why it's the most popular (well, I think?!) national selection process.

I hope The Mamas aren't being written off in a "well, you had your chance" sort of way...when they clearly DIDN'T have their chance.

Eric has been there, and Dotter can surely wait a year or two. Suppose it depends on their song...

I mostly have NO idea of the history, references, the people, the presenters etc which everyone here seems to know inside out, so I find it quite scary posting anything :D But it's so worth it and you can see why it's the most popular (well, I think?!) national selection process.

It’s so good to read new opinions so please don’t be put off by us nerds :disco:

It’s so good to read new opinions so please don’t be put off by us nerds :disco:

I think what I find most interesting (and I know it's not specific to Melodifestivalen, but it does seem more obvious here) is how it's like this revolving door of musical artists, dropping in and out on a whim. Back next year? Sure! Fancy skipping a decade? Why not! But more how those artists are of all different ages, male and female, with a variety of song types. Even if they understandably lean towards younger acts on the whole, it feels quite OPEN TO ALL which is lovely. I can definitely see how people loon over all aspects of it. It's kind of like "getting to know the regulars", right down to the writers, with newbies added each year.

I guess one day I might trawl through the vaults and give myself a history lesson but WHERE does one even begin :D

Also even though people say it's gone downhill, the quality of acts and music, collectively, is a bit better than your average national final surely

Is it as popular there as it ever was? I'm always a bit taken aback by how big the venues and crowds are unless that's an illusion!

I think what I find most interesting (and I know it's not specific to Melodifestivalen, but it does seem more obvious here) is how it's like this revolving door of musical artists, dropping in and out on a whim. Back next year? Sure! Fancy skipping a decade? Why not! But more how those artists are of all different ages, male and female, with a variety of song types. Even if they understandably lean towards younger acts on the whole, it feels quite OPEN TO ALL which is lovely. I can definitely see how people loon over all aspects of it. It's kind of like "getting to know the regulars", right down to the writers, with newbies added each year.

I guess one day I might trawl through the vaults and give myself a history lesson but WHERE does one even begin :D
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there - it’s like a revolving door of gay drama. I’ll be talking about this and more on @dUb ’s podcast. Soon.

Also even though people say it's gone downhill, the quality of acts and music, collectively, is a bit better than your average national final surely

Is it as popular there as it ever was? I'm always a bit taken aback by how big the venues and crowds are unless that's an illusion!

I think people often negatively compare subsequent years to what it was like when they were initially grabbed. Having said that, there was a glorious period of time in the early 00s where they extended the number of songs in the competition from 10 to 32, but didn’t necessarily have a lot of quality control measures to use, which meant there’s a whole host of fabulously gay nonsense which could only really be appreciated by a certain demographic that we don’t really get anymore. Except in Lithuania where they are experiencing a similar renaissance, and I would very much recommend you follow.

Keep a lookout for the rewatch threads!

Oh I just read that, I still haven’t found a copy of the livestream :( it’s like I’m being punished for not getting up that early !
Here it is:

I believe they’ve started to realise there’s a significant international fanbase for Mello now, starting up an English twitter account and even answering some of the Q&A towards the last third of this feed is in English.

I hope The Mamas aren't being written off in a "well, you had your chance" sort of way...when they clearly DIDN'T have their chance.

Eric has been there, and Dotter can surely wait a year or two. Suppose it depends on their song...
Quite the contrary, they’ve gotten a lot of offers from credible writing and production teams. It’s quite uncommon for winners to participate back to back. Since corona cancelled ESC both their management and record label have pushed hard for a 2021 participation though. They will likely have a small sympathy vote that could get them over the edge if it’s a close year.

The stage has been revealed:

Longer and thinner than usual, and with a reflective ceiling - all things they can't usually do as it would block view of the live audience, but that's not an issue this time around.

Some hope for Dotter's entry after all

EsPgOY0W4AEmT9O

Despite the cringe name, the producers do appear to see her as one of their major frontrunners so we'll see.

I suppose it worked out pretty well for UNDO MY SAD, so titles/lyrics shouldn't be too much of an indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom