Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky + Plastic Hearts (the new masterpiece record!)

I'm not going to rate this until after the weekend but Prisoner might be my favourite girl on girl duet EVER. :o

That's disappointing. I kind of thought she was coming for a number 1 album

Streaming hasn't been added yet and she is bound to eat up some of those sales that separate her from the top 3

Getting a high album chart entry in late November is very difficult. The chart is full of Michael Balls and Susan Boyles and Andrea Bocellis and whichever crap choir is doing the rounds on TV this year

Gary Barlow is at #1, Steps are at #2. I presume Alfie Boe & Michael Ball are at 3.

#4 would be her highest charting album outside of BANGERZ in the UK, so I would say that's pretty good going.

Still listening to this. But all I can say is that's it's wonderful to have CHORUSES again.

Gary Barlow is at #1, Steps are at #2. I presume Alfie Boe & Michael Ball are at 3.
H was claiming on Twitter on Friday that they had the no1 album leaving out it was only based on day one sales on iTunes but accepting congratulations on their #1 album all the same.

Streaming Miley for first time now. I wouldn’t have expected her to be ahead of the three albums above her.

She hasn't had vinyl which removes a large chunk of fanbase purchases

It is usually a decent slice but still a smaller proportion than CDs isn't it? If she only did 3.5k CDs and downloads I don't think vinyl would make that much additional headway.

I really thought she might have sold a little more than that off Midnight Sky.

Oh, I hope she doesn't abandon this reinvention like she did Younger Now.

...which she was correct to abandon.

Oh, I hope she doesn't abandon this reinvention like she did Younger Now.

...which she was correct to abandon.

As a Miley Cyrus fan, you can pick and choose which songs/projects of hers you want to disown/deny ever existing (because she does the same). It means she has only released great to perfect songs

As a Miley Cyrus fan, you can pick and choose which songs/projects of hers you want to disown/deny ever existing (because she does the same). It means she has only released great to perfect songs

I would only disown Younger Now. Even the early stuff like Meet Miley Cyrus and Breakout slap :disco:

And Lil Nas X thought he invented country rap with Old Town Road

She's never really been a consistent album seller, and Midnight Sky wasn't nearly as successful in America as it's been here.

I still need to dedicate some time to listening to this properly but I love High (is that the one everyone hates? :( )

sales wise this may be off to a slow start in the US, but on day two every song climbed US Spotify vs Friday which is highly unusual and suggests excellent word of mouth

28 Prisoner
49 Angels Like You
79 Midnight Sky
92 Plastic Hearts

sales wise this may be off to a slow start in the US, but on day two every song climbed US Spotify vs Friday which is highly unusual and suggests excellent word of mouth

28 Prisoner
49 Angels Like You
79 Midnight Sky
92 Plastic Hearts

Despite the lack of radio play and real traction for the singles, she is just so famous and is able to get attention easily so good word of mouth can work quicker than usual for her albums

From some kind of Amazon festive special:

Prisoner sounds good (though I do miss Dua a bit) but if the world really did need another Last Christmas cover it probably wasn't with this arrangement. She did Plastic Hearts as well but there are only clips on YouTube.

Plastic Hearts, the song, is fucking brilliant. It's so huge and so CATCHY.

OH
I've been livin at the CHATEAU

God i'm praying for a single release. I'm Mildred's Little Prisoner right now.

So it's 2am and I have been having trouble sleeping so I figured now is as good a time as any to deliver my initial thoughts about this album, given that I've just given it my seventh listen in as many days.

I'll start off by saying this is NOT the set that I was expecting/anticipating from her after having my appetite whetted by Midnight Sky.

In many ways it is a less sophisticated record than the one I was hoping for. Melodically it is super strong even if some of the tracks, particularly the earlier ones on the album, tend to veer into singalong teen rock boyband territory. In some respects her (relatively) young age is VERY evident on this and it feels like there is some disparity between the visuals that we were presented with and this finished work.

But after saying all that, I like practically every song on it. I'm not going into further details right now but for me, the album picks up pace with Prisoner (probably my favourite female duet ever) and I particularly like the songs in which she experiments a little more. The features are everything. The covers are amazing.

My main criticism is that ALL THE SONGS ARE TOO BLOODY SHORT!

Btw what is the riff that Angels Like You clearly samples? It is doing my head in!

Last edited:
My first impression is that it has a great run from track 3 through track 7 (Angels Like You, Prisoner, Gimme What I Want, Night Crawling, and Midnight Sky) and the rest is neither here nor there for me, often getting into MOR P!nk territory actually. Five tracks is nothing to sneeze at mind, but nothing except for Midnight Sky is as good as Slide Away or Mother's Daughter.

I thought I was the only one!

It’s a good album but I must admit the hyperbolic praise is kind of baffling me. For the most part does sound like a half-decent P!nk record, to me.

My first impression is that it has a great run from track 3 through track 7 (Angels Like You, Prisoner, Gimme What I Want, Night Crawling, and Midnight Sky) and the rest is neither here nor there for me, often getting into MOR P!nk territory actually. Five tracks is nothing to sneeze at mind, but nothing except for Midnight Sky is as good as Slide Away or Mother's Daughter.

I do quite like Angels For You but I think the really strong run starts at Prisoner and ends at Midnight Sky, so I am largely with you on that.

I also like the Joan Jett feature too but it's a bit of fun and not one of the really strong tracks.

Midnight Sky is undoubtedly the album highlight though.

I thought I was the only one!

It’s a good album but I must admit the hyperbolic praise is kind of baffling me. For the most part does sound like a half-decent P!nk record, to me.

I'd sort of agree with that. There aren't any truly terrible tracks on it though which is why I'd say it's a strong album.

Nothing exceptional though either except Midnight Sky (though I love the Stevie Nicks version even more) and to a lesser extent, Prisoner.

Prisoner is your favourite female duet ever but it’s only ‘exceptional to a lesser extent’? :D

The Boy Is Mine AGOG

06 What the Fuck Do I Know
07 Plastic Hearts
07 Angels Like You
10 Prisoner
09 Gimme What I Want
09 Night Crawling
11 Midnight Sky
07 High
07 Hate Me
08 Bad Karma
07 Never Be Me
08 Golden G String

Prisoner is your favourite female duet ever but it’s only ‘exceptional to a lesser extent’? :D

The Boy Is Mine AGOG

I prefer it to The Boy Is Mine but to be fair that was my only comparison :D

Oh I totally forgot about Really Don't Like U didn't I?

:(

I might have to reasses my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom