Modern art - SHIT OR NOT SHIT

As a CONCEPT

• Total voters
Debbie looking DEEPLY UNIMPRESSED.

What a curious event, that I'm glad I now know about.

The Courtald is my favourite underrated gallery!

I get to go to fancy soirees in these sort of galleries and museums through Mr M's job :disco:

we went to one in Paris a few years ago that reeked OLD MONEY and CHAMPAGNE AD LIBITUM

Reporting live from Aspudden station where even the children are in love with the modern art installation.

1B9EE80C-0E3E-424F-8A61-8A78174B9BAB.jpeg

Part of the renovation meant that each floor or era having a certain wall colour. It kind of made it look a bit messy I found.

that's the old way to hang pictures though! white walls in museums is a modern thing. it all comes down to choosing the right colours of course

T13309_9.jpg

I did wonder why that NICE YOUNG MAN asked me to sit on his “STACK” whilst he busied himself with a SHARPIE.

I didn’t mind as he’d paid for the full 45 minutes but I do recall having to restart several times as the originals were quite SMEARED.

Whilst I absolutely love modern art, visiting galleries and even BUYING some art...I also appreciate a lot of people who are able to BE artists these days are frequently from highly privileged backgrounds with AMAZING CONTACTS. It's really not even a slightly level playing field.

This Netflix documentary is also a whirlwind ride SCREAM -

as is on a VERY similar note, Who The F*ck Is Jackson Pollock - a documentary about an iconic truck driver Teri Horton who is trying to sell what may or may not be a Pollock original for no less than many millions of dollars, and even the art world can't agree if it's real or not :D

It may not seem like I love modern art from the above post, but I REALLY REALLY DO!

Reactions: GNL
And then, on the other hand, there's a stack of printed paper with some circles on, which is just lazy and meaningless.
T13309_9.jpg

This is a rather lovely piece I have a lot of affection for.

Did you take a sheet? You can if you want to. What kind of artwork that physically engages the visitor can exist in perpetuity like this? It's so simple and so brilliant.

Of course, the art itself isn't the printed sheet, but the instructions behind its exhibition. Gonzalez-Torres created a piece of work anybody can own, for free, and to be recreated endlessly, long after his death. It's kind of perfect.

For the thread as a whole - this is a rather good video on exactly the things being talked about here that also engages with Felix Gonzalez-Torres directly

This is a rather lovely piece I have a lot of affection for.

Did you take a sheet? You can if you want to. What kind of artwork that physically engages the visitor can exist in perpetuity like this? It's so simple and so brilliant.

Of course, the art itself isn't the printed sheet, but the instructions behind its exhibition. Gonzalez-Torres created a piece of work anybody can own, for free, and to be recreated endlessly, long after his death. It's kind of perfect.
Hence the symbol of infinity? :disco:

I'm off to the Saatchi Gallery and the Gagosian tomorrow.

Obviously due to the insanity we've all been through the last 15 months and doing ANYTHING that isn't the SAME OLD SAME OLD, but looking forward to it so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom