MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City - Tuesday 14/07 20:00

Tisch

Spare potatoes

A_Weekend_in_the_City.jpg

Bloc Party are a band I haven't thought of for so many years, but the singles from this one are absolutely everything. So much nostalgia packed in all of them (2007 I was 19, so stands to reason). A as little gay boy who occasionally liked to indie it up I can see why they resonated with me so much. I Still Remember (apt title) seriously brings it HOME.

I haven't stuck with my fanning of Bloc Party. Are they even still around? I know Kele had some solo stuff but I've never checked any of it out, so now I'm curious to.

As a teaser to Flux's surefire victory in @ButterTart's anthams rate, join in for a little re-listen tomorrow. JOIN! Numbers are needed. :greta:

Released: January '07
Reached: #2 UK, #12 US

There was me wondering if to bring in the punters I'd need to arrange something STEREOTYPICALLY gay like Kylie Light Years, when turns out all was needed was some laddishness.

Three Lions re-listen next week boys? Oi oi!!

I'm up for this! Are Bloc Party a lad band? I've never thought of them that way, but I suppose Banquet could have been a good one to MOSH to in the indie clubs.

I remember being quite agog (in a good way) when the beat kicks in the first time I heard this :disco:

Ah this isn't their disco album is it?

Not that I'm complaining, Kele et al know a good tune.

Song for Clay is such a journey. I love the falsetto vocals going into the drum beat.

I would have sworn that Song For Clay was a single, but Wikipedia says not. This feels like the sort of album that should have had at least six singles.

Hunting For Witches is one that still resonates quite a lot lyrically these days I think (see also Where Is Home? later).

I was surprised Hunting For Witches was a single at the end of the campaign. Sounds like a lead single. I feel like I'm 18 listening to it.

I was surprised Hunting For Witches was a single at the end of the campaign. Sounds like a lead single. I feel like I'm 18 listening to it.
Hunting for Witches does sound like a lead single but it's more lyrically and thematically complex than The Prayer, which also sounds like a lead single and is pure declaration of intent.

I'm sure I've heard the album before but I don't remember much of it. It's really good isn't it?

I always used to think of this song whilst waiting for an early train to work in the winter. I'm still at the same job, which might suggest that I wasn't really listening.

I always used to think of this song whilst waiting for an early train to work in the winter. I'm still at the same job, which might suggest that I wasn't really listening.
Train songs make me weirdly nostalgic.

Okay. I would like a packed dance floor right now and I don't actually enjoy clubbing all that much.

08 Song For Clay
09 Hunting For Witches
09 Waiting For the 7:18
11 The Prayer

God this is bringing back SO many memories... this album soundtracked quite a weird period in my life, I'm realising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom