MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Goldfrapp - Black Cherry - Sunday 12/07 20:00

Tisch

Spare potatoes
Right, hoping this Sunday chilled listen actually happens on a Sunday and doesn't clash with anything. Right..? RIGHT...?

GoldfrappBlackCherry.PNG

So, Goldfrapp personifying the dance scene of the early 00's with this one - Black Cherry contains lots of instantly recognisable HITS wouldn't you agree? It's a bit more energetic than some of the 'chilled' albums we've heard recently (hi Sinead!) but there's something smooth and relaxing about Alison's voix.

I don't own this one, always been more of a Goldfrapp singles fan personally, so looking forward to hearing it in full.

Released: April '03
Reached: #19 UK (:o)

I'll check in for this one. I don't think I've heard any of the songs outside of the singles and the title track is one of my favorites.

Is this still happening tonight? I hope we haven't all been distracted by sunshine and alcohol.

Also here.

Starting as we mean to go on with a really dirty synth as the first note of the album.

I've never heard this track before. It's gorge! I can really imagine an extended version playing out as an intro to their live gigs.

I love the bassline in Train. It has a real driving quality that sets up the momentum for the album just nicely.

Train is also one of the songs where Alison plays a theremin with her crotch during live performances and that will never not be hot.

I did have the opportunity to see them live I think during the Head First era. I can't think why I didn't. Would absolutely love to see them live, I imagine it to a more immersive 'experience' than a traditional gig.

I saw them at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester during the Seventh Tree era. Being in a proper concert hall really worked well with their sounds.

Black Cherry is gorgeous. Goes without saying really.

I'm just looking at their discography. I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done properly since Seventh Tree and even that I find patchy. Is that normal among the Goldfrapp community? Or am I just not as big a fan I purport to be?

I've never even heard their newest album. Will give a try this week some point.

On Tiptoe now. I don't know it. Sounds like I've probably heard it on an advert or in the background of a TV show, but I find that with the majority of their songs.

I like Head First, but I'm not really familiar with anything after that. I don't think that there is particularly any consensus that the later albums are weak, just not as good as the early ones.

I like Head First, but I'm not really familiar with anything after that. I don't think that there is particularly any consensus that the later albums are weak, just not as good as the early ones.
I definitely remember giving People Like Us several listens over the years and really really tried with it, but I just found it overall far too melancholy.

Deep Honey is a bit filler. It's the first real dud on the album for me.

Hairy Trees is pleasant but doesn't really do all that much. It's a valuable calm down moment before the next one.

"Put your dirty angel face between my legs and knicker lace."

Twist is just filthy in the best possible way. Is it getting hot in here?

Yup, Strict Machine is an all time classic.

I had forgotten quite how much the non-Black Cherry singles aren't representative of the rest of the album. Forever feels like a much needed comedown for me. I'd have probably exploded if it was as up as Twist and Strict Machine.

There's a really eerie feel to Slippage. It's an uncomfortable finisher, but a good one.

10 Crystalline Green
09 Train
09 Black Cherry
07 Tiptoe
02 Deep Honey
05 Hairy Trees
10 Twist
04 Forever (I didn't really hear this though, i was making tea)
08 Slippage - BIZARRE IN A GOOD WAY

Bit of a JOURNEY this album isn't it? As an entire piece it feels more cohesive than Supernature despite its erratic feel at the same time. I can't really describe why. I prefer Supernature overall and the highs are higher.

I found it okay...it washed over me a bit in the way I expected it would. I don't think I'm enticed to look further into their back cat SADLY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom