MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Massive Attack - Protection - 28/06 20:00

Also, those gunshot samples were a bit iffy at the time and are a real blemish now.

Did the record company tell them that the album wasn't long enough or something? A live version is an odd choice any way considering the care taken with most of the rest of the production. It damages the album quite badly.

Did the record company tell them that the album wasn't long enough or something? A live version is an odd choice any way considering the care taken with most of the rest of the production. It damages the album quite badly.

3 minutes of a 49 minute album, who'd have missed it?

Overall, a rather good album. I feel my individual ratings are quite generous because if I were to rate the album overall I would issue 3 stars or, at most, 3.5 stars.

I would have liked a few more Tracey Thorn songs to be honest (in fact I'd have loved it if the whole thing was with her!). It felt like something was lacking, and in an era where we had Maxinequay and Dummy, I can see how this falls a bit short.

Nevermind though, they more than made up for it with Mezzanine, which will remain my favourite Massive Attack album. That being said I need to give their 2010 album a listen...

Yeah, would have worked better - maybe they hit upon the symmetry idea and had to find another Horace Andy track.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. If they were doing that, they should have switched the order of tracks 6-9 and said that it was mirrored symmetry.

So, it's That Difficult Second Album, isn't it? There's some great stuff but also some padding and some lack of direction. The remains of Blue Lines and the foundations of Mezzanine can be heard but it doesn't stand comparison with either.

I can see why it's not as critically beloved as Blue Lines or Mezzanine. There are a couple of definite weak spots and Light My Fire is horrible.

Got a take-away last night which arrived just before this started so missed it unfortunately. Having a listen this morning and I ADORED 'Protection'. The rest is very different so far. Call me a traditionalist, but I can't help placing songs with vocals/verses/choruses above more experimental stuff. But despite the wildly different genres, it is all sewn together very nicely, and doesn't sounds like a random mix-tape taped off the radio.

11 Perfection
07 Karma Coma
05 Three

'Weather Storm' - Despite it not really going anywhere, I love. Like a very long relaxing interlude.

11 Perfection
07 Karma Coma
05 Three
09 Weather Storm

'Spying Glass'. This puts me in mind of something? Something a but house-y/trippy? Love it. A bit Lookin' For Love Maybe?

'Better Things'. Have we moved onto some cool jazz sounds now? Is this is a Massive Attack thing to stretch genres across an album? It doesn't normally work but it's amazing how different and yet cohesive it is. I think I'm realising Tracy Thorn has one of my absolute favourite singing voices. It's so creamy.

'Euro Chid'. This is eerie. Exciting. Make me uneasy. Over 5 mins but doesn't feel it.

'Sly'. I definitely know this. I'm sure I've seen it in the background of a drug induced montage of a guy walking through a dimly coloured strip club. At least that's where my brain goes.

'Heat Miser'. Hmm. Passes me by this one.

'Light My Fire'. Agree with the echoes above this isn't great. Is he singing in an affected way or is that how he sings? Because it's actually quite an unpleasant voice and doesn't suit the song. Weird choice to stick on the end.

11 Perfection
07 Karma Coma
05 Three
09 Weather Storm
09 Spying Glass
08 Better Things
08 Euro Child
09 Sly
05 Heat Miser
01 Light My Fire

Overall - Enjoyed it a lot! A very good choice for a chilled Sunday but has been nice for a Monday morning too.

I love this album SO MUCH, it’s so interesting reading back the opinions of people who are perhaps hearing it for the first time having lived with it for most of my life.

It really is the ULTIMATE rainy day album. I genuinely always put it on if I’m at home and there’s a random torrential rainstorm outside. It doesn’t seem to work in any other weather.

Aside from Protection, which is one of the best songs of the 90s (full length version obv) interesting that you guys weren’t bowled over by Three and Sly - which are by far my personal faves. Perhaps they need a few listens.

The term Björk-ish gets banded about ALL THE TIME when you have an alternative song song with a female vocal, but I do think it’s a justified term in regards to these two songs, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they’d been written with Björk in mind as the vocalist, as I can hear her singing both tracks in my head. Would have made sense as a collab around the time of Post/Homogenic too.

Anyway my personal fave of the Massive Attack albums, followed swiftly by Mezzanine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom