MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Pet Shop Boys - Actually - 29/06

Tisch

Spare potatoes
Moved to Monday to not clash with Vorvision on Tuesday. Can move it to another time if not much interest for a Monday.

220px-PetShopBoysActually.jpg

Released: September '87
Reached: #2 UK, #25 US
Singles: It's a Sin, What Have I Done to Deserve This, Rent, Heart

FUN FACT: Heart was #1 in the UK when Mama Tisch blessed the world with me.

Oh did somebody say FUN FACTS?

• "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" was Dusty Springfield's first time in the Top 40 since 1970 and in the Top 10 since 1968 (with "Son of a Preacher Man"). She had a small resurgence afterwards with her album "Reputation" (1990) reaching #18 which was her highest charting album since 1965!
  • As mentioned above "Heart" was written with Old Marge in mind, but they kept it for themselves before dithering about possibly giving it to Hazell Dean(!)
  • Also mentioned above, it reached #2 in the UK and was held off by Michael Jackson's "Bad"
  • Neil Tennant when commenting on the album's name said: “It was so English and kind of arch and kind of a joke and it was something we said a lot. And also it could be a sentence – Pet Shop Boys, actually”
  • Themes include Catholic Guilt ("It's a Sin"), 80s Consumerism under Thatcher "Shopping", and the Aids crisis ("It Couldn't Happen Here")
  • "It Couldn't Happen Here" was also the name of a feature length film starring Barbara Windsor. Clips of the film made up the music video for "Always on My Mind" which sadly isn't on any of their studio albums
Join us tonight!

I'm out sorry. Not home from work yet and won't be able to do it justice.

Cool. It seems to be eight, so I'm starting.

I don't think I've heard the album before despite claims otherwise (I get the titles mixed up). I probably l know all the tracks mind.

I actually don't think much of this first track. It sonically displeases me.

It's not really a great opener. It takes a long time for it to do anything and then it doesn't do very much.

Still better than the Royksopp one, when it was just me.

Dusty. I had always assumed that she was consistently popular, so I was surprised by Tisch's fact about her chart history.

I also didn't realise that she wasn't even sixty when she died or that that was more than twenty years ago.

Dusty. I had always assumed that she was consistently popular, so I was surprised by Tisch's fact about her chart history.
She was very 60s centred. Like so many others skipped the 70s and came back in the 80s.

She sounds great here.

I'd love to have seen her tackle her post Believe album of poppers o clock anthems.

I rarely enjoy words being spelt out in songs. This is no exception.

I rarely enjoy words being spelt out in songs. This is no exception.
It's certainly no D.I.S.C.O.

I actually don't mind it, although it suffers from the way that all the producers who have tried to make a shopping montage in the last thirty years don't really get subtext.

05 One More Chance
09 What Have I Done To Deserve This
07 Shopping

I've only ever been a strictly singles only PSB fan. I do like their sound but this one isn't really hitting any spots for me.
They do have a decent amount of deep cuts. I really would have preferred Behaviour to this. A far more complete affair.

I do like Rent but it would probably be about 35th on an all time PSB songs list for me.

I had remembered Rent as having more energy than this.

05 One More Chance
09 What Have I Done To Deserve This
07 Shopping
08 Rent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom