MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS - #1: MADONNA - RAY OF LIGHT - 8PM TUESDAY 14/04

She APPEARS to have turned a corner after the (now deleted) bathtub video (which even I couldn't defend)...
I saw the screen still and refused to watch. Anyway listening to this its SUCH A SHAME. Stunning.

RAY OF LIGHT

Overplayed but in hindsight and in context, a spiritual experience juggernaut of a song.

Onto Ray of Light. Apparently, I'm getting an advert in between each song.:angry:

My memory tells me that this was the moment that everyone went "oh! OH! YES!" "Frozen" had done well but this got even the sternest goth bopping.

Now the song Ray of Light I have to be in the right mood to listen to. It’s rather energy draining.

But still such a warm song.

What kept it off No. 1 here? I can't remember.. probably S Club.. or was that "Beautiful Stranger"?

I think it was All Saints actually..

That she released this SECOND demonstrates the high standard she was at in 1998.
Apparently she wanted it to be the first single but the label weren't having any of it and wanted "Frozen" first. I think they were right!

Yes - the production has all these nice details in it, undercurrents and ear candy...the kind of details that make music sound complete, worked on.

Exactly, and one of the reasons why this album still sounds rewarding.

It gets even crazier from Skin and onwards.

CANDY PERFUME GIRL

Must say that this was never a huge favourite of mine. It was probably my least favourite at the time. It's grown on me an awful lot throughout the years.

This album definitely has the best recorded Madonna vocals ever. Just the right balance of post-Evita technique and emotion.

Weirdly, the first thing I think about "Candy Perfume Girl" is that William Orbit definitely reused that drum sound with Blur the following year.

CANDY PERFUME GIRL

Must say that this was never a huge favourite of mine. It was probably my least favourite at the time. It's grown on me an awful lot throughout the years.

Same. It’s quite Tori-esque, and I have come to love it.

This one's pretty half-baked. A good production bolstering a bit of a non-song.

We should relisten to an old chart at some point.
YES YES AND YES

Can we please do that week where the Top 5 was Cher/Alanis/Culture Club etc. (I don't want to mention U2 even though I liked that song..)

SKIN

The first (and possibly only?) appearance of 'sexy' Madonna on this album but it's just so beautiful. Age appropriate coos and purrs rather than the moans and groans of yesteryear.

This is quite something :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom