MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS - #1: MADONNA - RAY OF LIGHT - 8PM TUESDAY 14/04

can you elaborate Suedey?
It's a myth but apparently Japanese CDs always have slightly better quality than regular CDs.

And as a bonus, the Japanese edition of Ray of Light comes with the lovely bonus track "Has to Be" (released in the UK as the B-side to "Ray of Light").

The somewhat demented 'I'm not like this all the time I'm not like this all the time I'm not like this all the tiiiiiiiiiime' fading out into those Moroccan souk / snakecharmer sound effects are just too much sometimes... :disco:

The somewhat demented 'I'm not like this all the time I'm not like this all the time I'm not like this all the tiiiiiiiiiime' fading out into those Moroccan souk / snakecharmer sound effects are just too much sometimes... :disco:
It's just so so so good.

SKIN

The first (and possibly only?) appearance of 'sexy' Madonna on this album but it's just so beautiful. Age appropriate coos and purrs rather than the moans and groans of yesteryear.

This is quite something :disco:

I’ve mentioned this everytime we’ve discussed Skin here, but to me this is the anti-Erotica song... it feels darker and has a more desperate tone, she’s not in charge like Dita was in Erotica, instead of ”Put your hands all over my body” she’s pleading to have her skin touched.

Maybe I just get too high when I listen to it :disco:

I’ve mentioned this everytime we’ve discussed Skin here, but to me this is the anti-Erotica song... it feels darker and has a more desperate tone, she’s not in charge like Dita was in Erotica, instead of ”Put your hands all over my body” she’s pleading to have her skin touched.

Maybe I just get too high when I listen to it :disco:
William Orbit has said on multiple occasions that Erotica was when he got interested in Madonna (he remixed "Justify my Love" before that and also "Erotica" etc.) so I'm not surprised..

Again, quite long - 10 years earlier it would have been trimmed to a comfy 4 minutes...

William Orbit has said on multiple occasions that Erotica was when he got interested in Madonna (he remixed "Justify my Love" before that and also "Erotica" etc.) so I'm not surprised..

Yes, and what great remixes these were!

I think this is actually quite underrated. Shame she's never performed it outside of the (vocally horrendous but visually splendid) Grammy Awards performance..

Nothing takes the past away like the future
Nothing makes the darkness go like the light
Your shelter from the storm
Give me comfort in your arms

Simple but beautiful

I think this is actually quite underrated. Shame she's never performed it outside of the (vocally horrendous but visually splendid) Grammy Awards performance..

Nothing takes the past away like the future
Nothing makes the darkness go like the light
Your shelter from the storm
Give me comfort in your arms

Simple but beautiful
Has she not? Silly cunt.

And the finale is such a tour de force (and Niki's swansong on a Madonna record :( )

Nothing really matters....
(NOTHIN' REALLY MATTERS)
Love is all we need
(Love is ALL WE NEED)

:disco:

Again, quite a lot of low-key elements to the production - it doesn't slam everything into your ears all at once.

Skin could be 10 minutes and it’s still not enough, and then you’re thrown right into another tumble drier session with Nothing Really Matters. :disco:

I would not have remembered Nothing Really Matters making the Top 10. It can't have stayed in the charts for long.

It was rehearsed for a couple of tours but cut in the final setlist (probably in favour of something shit)

Or in favour of an early night, if some of the more recent reports were to be believed...

I'm sure there was a 10 min mix of NRM on the CD single I had.

I never really liked any of the remixes I had.

Now the Sky Fits Heaven remixes on the other hand! :disco: I wish they were available on Spotify.

SKY FITS HEAVEN

I think this was probably my second favourite song when I first played the album. Its sheen may have diminished through the years but when I'm in the mood for it it's still great. The mantra-type lyrics probably get a little bit too 'Deepak Chopra self help' at this point but I still ADORE it...

I must say her single releases were often good value for money.

That was the era when you could put up to 40 minutes on a CD single if it was all versions of the one track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom