MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS - #1: MADONNA - RAY OF LIGHT - 8PM TUESDAY 14/04

I remember interviews from the Ray of Light era where Madonna said someone had sent her the Strange Cargo stuff which intrigued her.. I can't think of any major acts he produced before her, and interestingly I can't think of any interviews she mentioned his own work on her remixes like "Justify my Love" and "Erotica" (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if anyone here recalls such an interview..)

(So no, I don't think William Orbit's work with Madonna falls into the category of her basing 2-3 years' worth her of sound off a Shep Pettibone remix for a Janet Jackson track - but let's keep LOON WARS out of this please... )

So he was just an ambient producer doing his own thing. The above album is almost a Ray of Light demo.

Can we have both The Visitors and Butterfly please, @octophone ? I'm putting together my (I know!) top 100 albums of all time again and I'm up to No. 125 and I need to do some trimming, so listening to possible contenders again would be really useful.

Last edited:
Orbit had produced Beth Orton before Madonna and so he was on the radar for the REAL MUSIC brigade back then.

I love Ray of Light and it's what made me sit up and pay attention to Madonna - the whole album campaign was FLAWLESS, the singles were PERFECT and the videos were riding the ZEITGEIST so hard. I would like to thank LOURDES LEON because I truly think motherhood brought out the best in her :disco:

A couple of points - Ray of Light is actually an existing song that she took and to be completely honest changed very little of. I was a bit disappointed when I found that out because it used to be my favourite on the album but with time I've come to appreciate her self-penned BANGERS Skin and Sky Fits Heaven A LOT MORE.

I am not a big fan of Swim or Candy Perfume Girl but the whole album is so good and such a mood that if I put it on I'd never skip them. Shanti, likewise, is a bit self-indulgent but so is starting an album with an INSTRUMENTAL or similar that artists like Bowie would do without batting an eyelid, so she can get away with it. This is how highly I think of this album.

Last edited:
Can we have both The Visitors and Butterfly please, @octophone ? I'm putting together my (I know!) top 100 albums of all time again and I'm up to No. 125 and I need to do some trimming, so listening to possible contenders again would be really useful.

Well, it's Bowie tonight (see you all at 8) and I was thinking Britney's Blackout for Tuesday and then maybe The Visitors for maybe next Thursday but more likely the Tuesday after because ABBA are really Moopy top tier.

Happy to schedule Butterfly. It's not Octy's Sync Listens and it would be a bit of slap to Moopy's lambs not to. Maybe do The Visitors next Thursday right enough then have Butterfly on the following Tuesday.

A couple of points - Ray of Light is actually an existing song that she took and to be completely honest changed very little of. I was a bit disappointed when I found that out because it used to be my favourite on the album b
I knew that was a case as a friend of friend was apparently involved in the writing of the original. Never heard it until now.

In a nice The Visitors/Madonna moment, when did she record Like An Angel Passing Through My Room?

"Ray of Light" is effectively a
In a nice The Visitors/Madonna moment, when did she record Like An Angel Passing Through My Room?
It was with Orbit - not sure if it was for the Ray of Light or Music sessions. I suspect it was the former ...

According to Wikipedia it was for Music actually - apparently retrieved from Orbit's official website..

Orbit had produced Beth Orton before Madonna and so he was on the radar for the REAL MUSIC brigade back then.
Ooops, I totally forgot about POOR Beth Orton and I loved Trailer Park at the time. God I'm really getting old and losing all my music knowledge :shy:

I'm surprised I wasn't here for this too. What an album. She lead the pack that year. And 1998 was exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom