MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS - #1: MADONNA - RAY OF LIGHT - 8PM TUESDAY 14/04

octophone

Prole Art Threat
OK, let's see how this goes.

At 8pm on Tuesday, we all press play on the YouTube playlist below/Spotify/our computers/CD players/turntables etc etc and we dissect and reflect upon this hugely successful album, oft regarded as one of her finest.

Feel free to bring suggestions for other albums or tour videos we could do as we keep Moopy going through the lockdown days.

Doing this in one hour from now.

Suggestions welcome for future sync-listens - already have a few but don't leave me the room to chuck in an Autechre album and ruin it, eh?

Blackout by Britney Spears is an absolute fucking must. I'll pop this on at 8. Although I'm not really in the mood for this bitch!

"Blackout" was pretty much the only serious suggestion anyone else made! (that was by @Lucille) - so yeah, I'll schedule that.

This is my favourite album of all time. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to tune in.

I'll have a go. I assume I press play on the playlist dead on eight?

I'm gonna pop the Spotify on. I'm sure it'll be fairly similar in time.

I owned this album twice and all the singles. It was defo my Madonna era.

It was the first Madonna non-compilation album I owned. Seriously.

You may or may not know that I've been a loon since 'Papa Don't Preach' (age: 6), but I still remember being totally blown away by this from the first few seconds when I pressed play on my Sony Discman...

Never owned the album. I'm only really familiar with the singles, although some of the singles are amongst my favourite Madonna tracks.

I NEVER CARED for Substitute For Love.

CHANGE MY MIND!

I think it's her take on "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". Seriously - it's a similar tone, a confession of failures and a hope for forgiveness.

You may or may not know that I've been a loon since 'Papa Don't Preach' (age: 6), but I still remember being totally blown away by this from the first few seconds when I pressed play on my Sony Discman...
It was an amazing reinvention.

I tend not to look to Madonna for lyrics, but Substitute For Love is a strong exception.

Ray of Light was my first Madonna album. Bought a fake copy in Pakistan, played it several times back at home and was left cold. Then one night, as it was playing in the background, something magical happened, and all those sounds began to make sense. My love affair with Madonna and this album began.

The guitars on this actually are rather lovely as it goes. Not sure I'd noticed that before. When it kicks back in after the guitar break there's even a bit of Depeche Mode c. Violator/Songs Of Faith And Devotion about this.

The guitars on this actually are rather lovely as it goes. Not sure I'd noticed that before. When it kicks back in after the guitar break there's even a bit of Depeche Mode c. Violator/Songs Of Faith And Devotion about this.
There are tonnes of guitars on the album. In one of the behind the scenes documentaries in the studio there literally are rows of guitars in there...

Swim

People think this may mark the birth of 'social consciousness' Madonna but not really ("Love Makes the World Go Round"!!) - that being said, she does it much better on this.

Apparently it's about Gianni Versace's assassination. Well not really, but she wrote the lyrics as a response to it..

Ooh, I like the subtle violin bits under the lyrics. Very nice.

Swim

People think this may mark the birth of 'social consciousness' Madonna but not really ("Love Makes the World Go Round"!!) - that being said, she does it much better on this.

Apparently it's about Gianni Versace's assassination. Well not really, but she wrote the lyrics as a response to it..
I await her Coronavirus anthem.

I presume she's still being a bellend in isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom