MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #6 - GARBAGE - VERSION 2.0 - 8PM WEDNESDAY 13/05

octophone

Prole Art Threat

Tonight's album is at the suggestion of @dmlaw - Garbage's breakthrough album, "Version 2.0".

Having arrived with a couple of super-limited indie singles that were impressively packaged and devoid of meaningful credits, "Only Happy When It Rains" took them into the charts, their debut album sold well enough but received some sniffy reviews. So album 2 was critical - were they more than just Nirvana's production team and a hired-in singer? Had they gelled into a fully-working creative unit?

Find out at 8pm tomorrow.

Last edited:
@octophone

As I posted in the scheduling thread, there is Eurovision stuff on YouTube at 8pm tonight as it was going to be the first semi final. Is it worth moving this to tomorrow, when we do not have anything scheduled, to avoid a conflict?

@octophone

As I posted in the scheduling thread, there is Eurovision stuff on YouTube at 8pm tonight as it was going to be the first semi final. Is it worth moving this to tomorrow, when we do not have anything scheduled, to avoid a conflict?

OK. I'm out of the loop with Eurovision so I didn't know that.

7pm's too early.

I thought I had Tuesday's booked out but Eurovision trumps everything, I SUPPOSE.

Oh it's changed? I was so ready for this, although I listened to it not so long ago. They're very much a prime example - maybe the only example - of a group who suited a time in my life which was sort of exacerbated by the fact they then took even bigger breaks between albums and the quality dropping after 2001.

But I still love this album to bits, it's almost perfect

I wouldn't often interrupt a first listen to a Miles Davis/John Coltrane box set but these are the things I do for you Moopy...

I don't know why it's always stuck with me but I recall "I am milk, I am bad Curve rip off" being your statement :D

:D

I did feel that they had taken Curve's thing and made it commercial but I don't remember that specific remark!

Playing this while I cook. I only know a couple of singles from this album and love them. specially Push it.

I've started but am about a minute late. It's going to seem like I'm very slow witted for the entire listen.

Temptation Waits is such a rush and really sets up what to expect from them this time around - basically everything and the kitchen sink and PRAISE JESUS for it

This is, of course, immaculately produced...lots of nice "ear candy". But the song isn't grabbing me.

Have to say, I don't remember "I Think I'm Paranoid" hitting as hard as this...was it remixed for the single. Some of these guitars are brutal. Which is a good thing.

Yeah, I definitely feel like I heard this a load outside of the context of the album at the time.
It was used on a lot of soundtracks, as well. I can remember it being on 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'The Sopranos' just to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom