MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #7 - KYLIE MINOGUE (1997) a/k/a IMPOSSIBLE PRINCESS - 8pm Tuesday 19/05

I don't remember "Say Hey" at all...I know it's been a while since I heard the album but it's not even coming back to me. :shy:

Yeah, it's standard post-rave stuff, doesn't stand out...but then Drunk turns up with a big spooky start.

Split stereo vocals and again, really quite dense. It's not a comfortable listen. That's probably what was so brave about this album in a way...there's a LOT going on.

Yes! Very busy and almost invasive - by contrast, Ray of Light is busy but not as confrontational

That's a good comparison...the same kind of sensory overload but Madonna surfs the wave while Kylie is almost pulled under.

Now, this *IS* a Manics song with Kylie on vocals. I really like it but then, I'm a Manics fan.

I couldn't have told you much about "Jump" but I'm really enjoying it. Kylie finds a much better place within the sound than she does on some other tracks and it floats rather alluringly.

Now "Limbo" makes me think of Republica - it's a dirty, clattering "Ready To Go".

I think 'Limbo' is my favourite so far. Very unKylie but a banger all the same.

"Through The Years" is a very standard track 11 on a twelve track album (i.e. standard filler position). Doesn't stand out.

A lot of this album mixes the vocal a bit too far back.

Having missed this entirely I must say it's far from a fave but Cowboy Style and Limbo are my faves.

"Dreams" - legendary. Seriously brave to put the best track on the album last. Even braver to make the intro sound like The Cure.

On balance, it's not quite the underground masterpiece that is claimed but there are certainly some unfairly neglected tunes on here. I think she had to make this album in order to clear her own head.

In sum, I do still love the album as much as when I was first introduced to it. But I am surprised by how closed, busy, frenetic, confrontational it sounds. I've always viewed it as a sister album to Ray of Light and they might be sisters in ambition, but not necessarily in feel and execution. RoL is full of the warmth, despite the electronic sound, that IP only has in Breathe, Dreams and Jump.

She really was trying to prove a point at the time.

Absolutely necessary if not sonically ideal at all points.

Cowboy Style is less good than I remembered. She really was fond of a mystical string for a while.

I was hoping to find out tonight if I was the only Mooper to rate "Some Kind Of Bliss" but no-one's turned up. I think too much was made of the Manics involvement because one thing it isn't is a Manics track with Kylie on vocals.
I like it! I find it 'blissful'! Sorry if already mentioned but I find the other Manics track much more Manics-y. (I Don't Need Anyone) which is much weaker and of its time

This thread really is no Butterfly, is it?

In sum, I do still love the album as much as when I was first introduced to it. But I am surprised by how closed, busy, frenetic, confrontational it sounds. I've always viewed it as a sister album to Ray of Light and they might be sisters in ambition, but not necessarily in feel and execution. RoL is full of the warmth, despite the electronic sound, that IP only has in Breathe, Dreams and Jump.
I'm glad this happened before RoL. You just know it would have been tweaked to be similar. And we'd have lost the Kylie-ness of it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom