MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #7 - KYLIE MINOGUE (1997) a/k/a IMPOSSIBLE PRINCESS - 8pm Tuesday 19/05

Too Far is one of all time Kylie faves (along with Breathe, Did It Again, Dreams and Limbo).

I do like the Manics tracks but feel she sounds almost a guest vocalist on her own album on those.

Christ you can hear the Manics straight away on Some Kind Of Bliss.

Too Far is one of all time Kylie faves (along with Breathe, Did It Again, Dreams and Limbo).

I do like the Manics tracks but feel she sounds almost a guest vocalist on her own album on those.
Yup. And Nina Cardigans did it better. :o

I'm glad this happened before RoL. You just know it would have been tweaked to be similar. And we'd have lost the Kylie-ness of it all.
Mind you it might have been better!

But who wants THAT in the Ms Minogue narrative.

I don't think she's any more a guest on her own record on those Manics produced tracks than she is on any SAW-era album. The Manics didn't really sound like that themselves until later on: "I Don't Need Anyone" probably influenced "So Why So Sad", a Manics single in 2001.

I love Did It Again. I had the single. I wasn't Kylie focussed in my teens, but I paid attention.

I think I had a VHS with lots of Kylie videos, and Did It Again caught my attention cos it felt like the first I'd seen of Kylie being anything other than NICE

I have a memory of being 4/5 and loving the Kylie greatest hits cassette then being 9 or 10, seeing the Did It Again and getting excited it was the same woman. Didn't really pay much attention to Kylie after that till Spinning Around.

You know I can see why Miss Breathe is so beloved within the context of the album. It's the dream pop we all wanted. For me this was just a template for better in the future.

I can never decide if Breathe or Slow is my ultimate Kylie song. I think it might be Breathe. That song couldn’t be anyone else.

I must say I have a newfound love for Breathe RIGHT THIS SECOND.
and I'm not just SAYING THAT.

It's possible I've never listened to this LP on headphones before and it's all the better for it. The production isn't especially rich but I like what's it's doing.

07 Too Far
08 Cowboy Style
07 Some Kind Of Bliss
08 Did It Again
08 Breathe
07 Say Hey

I bought this album in Our Price when it finally got a UK release. I was a little annoyed it was £15.99. I got the edition with the lenticular sleeve and picked up Dannii’s ‘Girl’ at the same time which had just been out a few months if I recall correctly.

I think that's All The Lovers for me.

Breathe is great but I don't think of it when I think of the word "Kylie"!
All The Lovers is definitely the sound of hit Kylie for sure. I don’t really know how to describe it well but Breathe just feels like it is her in song form. I don’t mean it’s the sound people think of straight away for her.

Ah more Manics. You have to wonder what would have happened had she not jumped on that particular bandwagon.

Breathe is incredible. Right up there with The One and Better The Devil You Know for me

07 Too Far
08 Cowboy Style
07 Some Kind Of Bliss
08 Did It Again
08 Breathe
07 Say Hey
06 Drunk
04 I Don't Need Anyone
06 Jump

She really was establishing her post SAW sound on this album. As I said before a sketch pad of greater things to come

'Kylie Minogue' really wasn't doing that despite the wonder that was 'Confide in Me'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom