MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #7 - KYLIE MINOGUE (1997) a/k/a IMPOSSIBLE PRINCESS - 8pm Tuesday 19/05

07 Too Far
08 Cowboy Style
07 Some Kind Of Bliss
08 Did It Again
08 Breathe
07 Say Hey
06 Drunk
04 I Don't Need Anyone
06 Jump
09 Limbo
06 Through the Years
09 Dreams

Average 7.7

I do feel disappointed that she hasn't had more of a hand in her music since... But she co-wrote quite a bit of Golden, no?
Yes, she was very hands on with the lyrics on Golden and wrote most of them. I think that’s why I like the album so much because she’s giving away a lot more in the lyrics than she ever would in an interview. On one level it’s a pop album but there is quite a bit in the lyrics.

I listened this morning. Because Kylie.

06 Too Far
09 Cowboy Style
07 Some Kind Of Bliss
07 Did It Again
07 Breathe
05 Say Hey
05 Drunk
06 I Don't Need Anyone
05 Jump
08 Limbo
04 Through the Years
08 Dreams

Average 6.4.

Last edited:
09 Too Far
07 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind Of Bliss
09 Did It Again
10 Breathe
06 Say Hey
06 Drunk
07 I Don't Need Anyone
07 Jump
09 Limbo
06 Through the Years
09 Dreams

09 Too Far
07 Cowboy Style
09 Some Kind Of Bliss
07 Did It Again
10 Breathe
06 Say Hey
10 Drunk
09 I Don't Need Anyone
07 Jump
07 Limbo
06 Through the Years
10 Dreams

Did you not grow up following the charts?

I only ask as I suspect that's where most of us get it from. That and E*rovision of course.

Particularly for a lot of us ex dot posters - it was the chart which brought us to dotmusic in the first place.

And as much as I have no interest in football at all (despite my proud heritage), I used to be obsessed with the football league. I was playing fantasy football with my own NMDivision4 pinned to the back of my bedroom door back in the late seventies.

I used to be well into charts and stats - I would write down John Peel's Festive 50 each year, listen to the weekly charts compulsively even when there were only 2 or 3 records in there I cared about and compile an end of year chart as well as spending hours trawling other people's lists. It fell away in stages; Peel's death in 2004, the charts becoming confusing around the same time...year-end charts being all the same...the death of the music press.

When Mark E Smith died, I couldn't even be arsed to do my 20 Best Fall Songs Ever in any kind of order.

Oh, by the way, I think we'll do Hounds Of Love next week. Think we need an acknowledged classic for #8 - as much as it's theoretically interesting to pick a more divisive album and reappraise, folk want bangers too.

And as much as I have no interest in football at all (despite my proud heritage), I used to be obsessed with the football league. I was playing fantasy football with my own NMDivision4 pinned to the back of my bedroom door back in the late seventies.
I had my own fantasy football league. That there were league tables AND knock-outs was such a thrill ride.

Oh God we should do WATERMARK. Live skies, stars and sobbing and no horrifying arguments, although I’m sure we could do our best on the latter front :side-eye:

“No this DOES NOT sound exactly the same as No Holly For Miss Quinn! DIE NOW!”

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, by the way, I think we'll do Hounds Of Love next week. Think we need an acknowledged classic for #8 - as much as it's theoretically interesting to pick a more divisive album and reappraise, folk want bangers too.

Fabulous idea!

In retrospect, I think I assumed IP was more beloved than it is actually.

Did you not grow up following the charts?

I only ask as I suspect that's where most of us get it from. That and E*rovision of course.

I didn't actually! I didn't follow Western music until I went to High School. And even then my gateways to English language music were the Spice Girls and Steps.

I didn't actually! I didn't follow Western music until I went to High School. And even then my gateways to English language music were the Spice Girls and Steps.

What an INDUCTION

A bit like @Star's first non Hindu wedding being a GAY one :disco:

I like Impossible Princess well enough but I rarely reach for it and I didn't fancy a relisten. Having said that, "Breathe" is very top tier Kylie for me and "Did It Again" a lovely gem. "Dreams" is sultry to the core.

I used to love "Cowboy Style" and "Limbo" but the attraction has worn off for the most part. The Manics stuff sounded clunky at the time and age hasn't improved it.

Of the b-sides/other stuff, "Take Me With You" is one I absolutely adore. It's an obvious album closer, but as you really wouldn't want to give "Dreams" the boot, I can see why it got canned. Shame though. If it had gone on, the album would have had the same weird double ending that Body Language has.

I used to love "Cowboy Style" and "Limbo" but the attraction has worn off for the most part. The Manics stuff sounded clunky at the time and age hasn't improved it.

I agree. Still enjoy these songs and "Some Kind of Bliss" (once upon a time my favorite Kylie song EVER :o :durst:) but time hasn't been too kind. "Dreams" and "Breathe" are exquisite as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom