Moopy Book Club (April '20): Iris Murdoch - "The Sea, The Sea"

9780099284093.jpg

Charles Arrowby, leading light of England's theatrical set, retires from glittering London to an isolated home by the sea. He plans to write a memoir about his great love affair with Clement Makin, his mentor both professionally and personally, and to amuse himself with Lizzie, an actress he has strung along for many years. None of his plans work out, and his memoir evolves into a riveting chronicle of the strange events and unexpected visitors--some real, some spectral--that disrupt his world and shake his oversized ego to its very core.

In exposing the jumble of motivations that drive Arrowby and the other characters, Iris Murdoch lays bare "the truth of untruth"--the human vanity, jealousy, and lack of compassion behind the disguises they present to the world. Played out against a vividly rendered landscape and filled with allusions to myth and magic, Charles's confrontation with the tidal rips of love and forgiveness is one of Murdoch's most moving and powerful novels.

(From Goodreads.com]

Obviously available on kindle if acquiring a physical copy is difficult.

It will also be available on Audible from 2nd April.

Read this years ago. I enjoyed it at the time but I can't say I remember a thing about it.

Well I just started this recently and I have to say she has pulled me right in. I can tell this will be a good one..

yay, I found it in the antiquarian database. no copies on Stockholm though :(

That looks dreamy! :disco: I do prefer paperback editions though.

The one you asked about is from the Vintage Classics series. They’re a bit too girly looking.

tumblr_puh24qNbmc1rxrxxxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_puh24qNbmc1rxrxxxo2_1280.jpg

ah yes, Penguin. I have most of those for Tanizaki. the graphic designers deserve an award

I love the (original) VINTAGE series, and - crucially - this cover image, so I'm sticking with that!

81khjQm2-EL.jpg

I need to use this period to work on my own creative writing. @Beverley - what degree are you doing?

By the way I am due to start a distance-learning creative writing MA next year! :disco:

I love the (original) VINTAGE series, and - crucially - this cover image, so I'm sticking with that!

81khjQm2-EL.jpg

I do love these as well, but my issue with the Vintage Classics is that they’re all has that red side cover or whatever it’s called. I want varied colours for my book shelves.

I finished it last night.

What can I say - simply wondrous. This was one of the best books I've read this year. I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover her.

Might post a detailed review later but it's very much a 'book club' book - as in, I think we'll have a lot to discuss. I think James was my favourite character. Charlies Araby was, of course, a real piece of work. The way Murdoch captured his misogyny was quite something!

4/5

This book is so beautifully written. These endless descriptions of food (which I normally don’t care for) and daily routines are having such a calming effect on me. I can really picture that house and it makes me want to be there by myself.

I still have no idea where it is going though (because I don’t read spoilers) and it has taken me days to read 40+ pages, meaning that at this rate I’ll finish it next year. And this is the first time I fail to finish the Moopy book club book by time.

Right now I’m at where the ugly vase broke. I hope it wasn’t the giant eel that broke it.

Well up until the vase he was a lovely old man then came the letter from Lizzie and he was transformed into something else.

It’s been a great day for reading (rainy and no plans), I can’t put it down.

I’m enjoying this so much. Still only less than half way through due to many other distractions. Poor miserable Hartley, he’s going to dump her as soon as he gets her, no?

Oh my God babe I’m so in love with this book with all its twists and turns, like you said. Last night I went from wearing a veil and having stones thrown at me to drowning and recieving the kiss of life.

I’m also loving how this has turned into such a lovely ensemble story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom