Moopy Book Club (December): Thomas Mann - "Death in Venice"

0553213334.jpg

From goodreads.com:

Published on the eve of World War I, a decade after Buddenbrooks had established Thomas Mann as a literary celebrity, Death in Venice tells the story of Gustav von Aschenbach, a successful but ageing writer who follows his wanderlust to Venice in search of spiritual fulfillment that instead leads to his erotic doom. In the decaying city, besieged by an unnamed epidemic, he becomes obsessed with an exquisite Polish boy, Tadzio. "It is a story of the voluptuousness of doom," Mann wrote. "But the problem I had especially in mind was that of the artist's dignity."

it seems the portrayal of Aschenbach varies a good deal from translation to translation so y'all might wanna coordinate and get the same one...

I’ve ordered my copy but don’t know which translation. Does it differ much? Should I read it in Swedish instead?

By the way, I have no idea what this is about, I like to start reading without knowing anything.

I have found an online PDF of the Michael Henry Heim (the best apparently) translation if anybody needs.

I’ve not had much time reading this week, but this is, so far (up to a third), exquisite.

I'll break away from my current (great) read and start on this. the newest addition to my collection is by a translating married couple, some of my favourites (in Danish) so I'm excited

Mine is a new translation by a Stanley Appelbaum. I don’t know if it’s good or bad but according to his comment on the translation, it’s more accurate than the previous ones.

I had the great (dis)pleasure of reading this in 11th grade and I absolutely hated it -- a lot of it having to do with Mann's style of writing, stretching one sentence across an entire page at times. Urgh.

And leaning back, his arms loose, overwhelmed, with frequent chills running through him, he whispered the fixed formula of desire—impossible in this case, absurd, abject, ridiculous, and yet holy, even in this case venerable: "I love you!"

:disco:

I had the great (dis)pleasure of reading this in 11th grade and I absolutely hated it -- a lot of it having to do with Mann's style of writing, stretching one sentence across an entire page at times. Urgh.

I love that :D and since Danish is so similar the style translates well

Finished this yesterday and I can imagine how much I would have hated it if I’d had to read it in school. Some passages were next to impossible to get through but others were like beautiful poetry to my old ears.

It’s another month of Greek mythology for Moopy. My copy had comments and notes and explained the mythology references which I was thankful for.

I was only 33 when I went to Venice, but I too thought I’d die from the mugginess and the heat. I’m now definitely more of a Dionysos than Apollo, and could definitely fall stupidely in love in a handsome twink and then die alone! Great book to read right before turning 40. :evil:

Overall it was a great recommendation. 4/5

I could've used Razzie's notes because I only knew half of the Greek references. Dionysos I know something about though :horny:

nonetheless this is a marvellous novella. the narration, the prose, the setting... the theme! when I first read it many years ago I was adamant that Aschenbach's affection was platonic and classical, an artist's admiration for godlike perfection. but it's clear to me now that he really wants Tadzio's hol... ahem, Tadzio's love in return. the decay of Venice as backdrop for Aschenbach's inevitable demise is great. the city is nothing more than a painted dead body

10/10 would recommend

I'll be Jasiu who might not be as pretty but at least gets laid because he understands the game

Anyway, I really liked it! Glad it wasn't much longer tbh. We should consider reading more stand alone stories actually. They're fun!
It could be an OPTION perhaps in addition to a book OR we could have alternate months (particularly if there's one long novel a particular month?)

Which reminds me - we need to sort out the 2020 ROTA :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom