Moopy Book Club (July): Andre Aciman - "Enigma Variations"

Our book of the month has been selected by @RaspberrySwirl .

41aOhFg1rmL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From goodreads.com:

A passionate portrait of love’s contradictory power, in five illuminating stories.

Andre Aciman, who has been called “the most exciting new fiction writer of the twenty-first century” (New York Magazine), has written a novel in Enigma Variations that charts the life of Paul whose loves remain as consuming and covetous throughout adulthood as they were in adolescence. Whether in southern Italy, where as a boy he has a crush on his parents’ cabinet maker, or on a snowbound campus in New England, where his enduring passion for a girl he’ll meet again and again over the years is punctuated by anonymous encounters with men; on a tennis court in Central Park, or a sidewalk in early spring New York, his attachments are ungraspable, transient and forever underwritten by raw desire—not for just one person’s body but, inevitably, for someone else’s as well.

In mapping the most inscrutable corners of desire, Aciman proves to be an unsparing reader of the human psyche and a master stylist of contemporary literature. With language at once lyrical, bare-knuckled, and unabashedly candid, he casts a sensuous, shimmering light over each facet of desire to probe how we ache, want, and waver, and ultimately how we sometimes falter and let go of those who may want only to offer what we crave from them. Behind every step the hero takes, his hopes, denials, fears, and regrets are always ready to lay their traps. Yet the dream of love always casts its luminous halo. We may not always know what we want. We may remain enigmas to ourselves and others. But sooner or later we discover who we’ve always known we were.

it's not very THICK, is it? I forgot where I put it... I'll probably make a decent progress during my flight tomorrow. excited!

I think you can post your review of it if you wish and as we all finish reading it, we can post our reviews and start discussing it together.

Perhaps we can mark your review with a spoiler tag to begin with until the rest of us have finished ?

I enjoyed reading this a lot. The first section was very similar to Call Me By Your Name, but with a bit of a twist and darker storyline. I loved the the timeline jumps and most of the twists, but while I appreciated that the story isn’t just a gay story, I did feel a but disappointed when the the last third was focused on his ”star love” and poor Manfred and Nanni were just tossed aside. In fact, the whole star love section was such a let down. The last twist was also a bit unnecessary and only served as a further evidence to the main character being lost/is an asshole.
That said, it was all beautifully written, equal parts romantic and miserable- just how I want it. Most of all it was relatable, and I kept thinking this is why I’m going to end up alone, because I live for that chase and love from a distance; as soon as you get what you want you move on to needing a new challenge and someone else to obssess about. :)

with you RS.
The first story was so achingly beautiful, the rest of the book felt a bit of a let down, and the last story itself was a bit of a slog because by then I had grown to find the character incredibly irritating. An absolute vampire of a human being, a real casualty of the cult of love in that he’s always looking for it, never satisfied when he thinks he’s found it, and has no second thoughts about upending entire lives.
Anyway, a very interesting read mostly, the first story itself made it so worth it.

to believe that anyone — fact or fiction — has this much profound yearning and love to go around, let alone debates the one with the other in such a casual way. who is this person?!

that said, well written of course. Aciman is a learned man. the childhood prologue was very captivating and quite relatable, that sense of discovering and seeking out your desires. the dinner scene I thought was very amusing. and then there was something that was said in the chapter about Manfred which struck very true but I forgot what it was..

I will probably read Call Me By Your Name but then I don’t think I can stomach any more books of his

I wonder how much of it is about himself. According to wiki Aciman is married to a woman and is bisexual.

I know one shouldn't equate authors with characters but I can't help connect him to the nestors of the novels, the father in Call Me By Your Name and Ole Brit in this, who have loved but have not drunk the wine of life

I’m struggling with this. Should still be able to finish it by the end of July but please feel free to un-spoiler your reviews and discuss openly if I’m the only one left that’s hasn’t finished yet...

Finished it and must say I really did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I'll try and attempt a proper review but as it stands, it's a 2/5 from me..

Yes I thought it was a bit too heavy for August. Can rotate it to a winter month. Was thinking of changing it to An American Marriage.

Yes I thought it was a bit too heavy for August. Can rotate it to a winter month. Was thinking of changing it to An American Marriage.

I've made a reservation but might be a while before I get it but do go ahead. I have Snow to finish as well

I agree Overstory might be better suited for autumn or later

I've made a reservation but might be a while before I get it but do go ahead. I have Snow to finish as well

I agree Overstory might be better suited for autumn or later
Excellent, then we'll go with An American Marraige as suggested by @Beverley (SORRY BABES x) and then have The Overstory later in the autumn.

You're welcome, gorgeous. :disco:

Also, sorry I didn't get round to reading this. July has been a little hectic for me. The next two months are mad too, but I will try to make an effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom