Moopy Book Club (July): Andre Aciman - "Enigma Variations"

Call Me was a slog at first but it was beautiful like poetry. This became a slog towards the end because it was unexciting and its characters unlikable.

So I want to play Book Club but am a bit behind. I agree pretty much entirely with the reviews here for this, which I have just finished.

The first story was the best, absolutely, albeit rather uncomfortable reading at times for me. Beyond the story about meeting Manfred, it became a real slog. And yes, I think actively disliking the main character was the reason- but was that not also the point? It reeked of self loathing.

The thing that gets me with Aciman is how beautifully he writes. He never misses an opportunity for wonderful prose, my favourite being the fan like a disenchanted raven, or whatever it was.

Anyway, 2.5/5 overall. Not a patch on Call Me By Your Name...

I’m currently reading his Out of Egypt (which is non-fiction/autobiographical) and it’s so so beautifully told and so entertaining, anyone from the Middle East/south Europe will recognize/relate to the characters.

Really recommend it to anyone who’s interested in the multicultural history of the Middle east/Levant.

I just finished this and apart from the childhood and early life stories (up to Manfred) I guess, everything else was absolutely bloody BORING. I should've learned my lesson from the borefest that Call Me By Your Name was, but I'm not a fast learner apparently.

I think actively disliking the main character was the reason- but was that not also the point? It reeked of self loathing.

I think the talent a writer should have is even when the story is about someone you're meant to dislike, the way they are portrayed maintains your interest to know what happens to them. On the contrary, this Paul character was extremely boring. I couldn't have cared less if he was hit by a bus or a building fell on him.

And I'm never reading an Aciman book again (I think).

That would be the third 'you have to read' book from Aciman... The first two were quite big disappointments. What would convince me to read that one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom