Moopy Book Club (October): Richard Yates - "The Easter Parade"

6080795.jpg

Recommended by @jivafox

From goodreads.com:

In The Easter Parade, first published in 1976, we meet sisters Sarah and Emily Grimes when they are still the children of divorced parents. We observe the sisters over four decades, watching them grow into two very different women. Sarah is stable and stalwart, settling into an unhappy marriage. Emily is precocious and independent, struggling with one unsatisfactory love affair after another. Richard Yates's classic novel is about how both women struggle to overcome their tarnished family's past, and how both finally reach for some semblance of renewal.

This is probably his most depressing book. Absolutely relentless but yes, so beautiful at the same time.

I recommend reading his other work. Revolutionary Road is an obvious one, but I also recommend Cold Spring Harbour and his Collected Short Stories are a MUST.

I am such an Emily it's not even funny.

And why is this not a film yet starring Cate Blanchett and Emily Blunt as the Grimes sisters (Glenn Close as Pookie of course)?

Fucking hell, this was way too morbid and that unsettling ending is making me want to call my big loud family and stay close to them for the rest of my life.

The story lacked any kind of hope and warmth and despite the characters being so cold and detached in the way that only some white people can be, there were still a lot of horrifying things that were relatable.

3/5

Fucking hell, this was way too morbid and that unsettling ending is making me want to call my big loud family and stay close to them for the rest of my life.

The story lacked any kind of hope and warmth and despite the characters being so cold and detached in the way that only some white people can be, there were still a lot of horrifying things that were relatable.

3/5
My kind of book / story :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom