Moopy Fit Club 2022

Swimming outdoors seems ideal but I think I'd have to find an indoor pool realistically... I just swam for like 10 minutes in a lake and felt really good

Has it improved your fitness in general?

Yes it has. It’s great for stamina. But also, don’t underestimate what outdoor swimming does for your mental health. It’s an amazing way to shed your worries for a bit. It’s also great thinking time with your head underwater, drowning everything out.

The benefits of cold water swimming (or even just immersion) are plenty. If you want to do outdoors, now is the time to start- don’t start in winter when it’s colder!

I can't speak for the sea, only for my mountain lakes - but biking uphill for 30 minutes and then jumping into 19°C water when you've gathered a bit of a sweat is honestly the best between May and September.

19 degree water is warmer than the sea EVER gets here!

I've gotten used to the 17-20°C range for swimming - but I do somewhat shudder at the thought of even colder temperatures (let alone the "ice miles" the fiancé one of my best friends is swimming) :D

It gets down to about 5 degrees here in winter. I’ve got a little floating polar bear that tells me the temperature.

Now THAT’S cold. Gets right to your BITS and makes your cock ache :D

Once got into the sea in April and felt like my nails were going to fall off, how do you do it? Doesn't it feel like it's giving you ice burns?

This year I’ve slightly overcome my fear of swimming in lakes (where you don’t see what’s under the surface, and I’m always scared of hitting sharp stones). I’ve come off my routine of swimming on Sundays this summer, will have to go back once vacation is over.

In other news, I’ve lost lots of weight, as usual during the summer. I looked very ripped, but I don’t like it, I prefer having a bigger ass.

Once got into the sea in April and felt like my nails were going to fall off, how do you do it? Doesn't it feel like it's giving you ice burns?

It’s about building up to it. If you start in the winter, it’s going to feel cold. If you start in the summer and keep going in, it’s just incrementally colder as your body is more used to it.

When I get in in winter (and not in a wetsuit by the way, just shorts), I wear gloves and sea socks because my fingers and toes get very cold, but otherwise I just take my time, breathe very deeply and wait til my body gets used to it.

If you’re doing it in winter, always go with someone else- you should never be in ice cold water alone- and make sure you take your time. 1 minute is a success first time round. I don’t think I’ve ever stayed in longer than 15-20 minutes at the peak of winter and often I’ve paid for that afterwards.

Getting to a town with a river or a pool this summer following a long walk or hike has been the best feeling ever.

I have no idea if I've lost much weight over the last month but I'm quite excited to see at the end.

I've been doing some outdoor (pool) swimming in the hot weather this summer and I've really enjoyed it. I totally agree on it helping to clear the head, it's very therapeutic. I do get a bit frustrated because I've never been a hugely strong swimmer and I want to work on that but I'd imagine given it's been two decades since I had any kind of formal swimming lessons my technique is awful as well. I'd like to work up to feeling confident in open water but I think I'm a way off that yet.

I've been doing some outdoor (pool) swimming in the hot weather this summer and I've really enjoyed it. I totally agree on it helping to clear the head, it's very therapeutic. I do get a bit frustrated because I've never been a hugely strong swimmer and I want to work on that but I'd imagine given it's been two decades since I had any kind of formal swimming lessons my technique is awful as well. I'd like to work up to feeling confident in open water but I think I'm a way off that yet.

There's loads of open swimming classes/ teachers out there now, so definitely worth looking at one of those. Open water is VERY different to a pool. It's a lot harder work, generally. In winter, swimming 50m in the freezing water is an achievement- that's 1-2 lengths of a pool and not that impressive inside!

I generally swim for distance in the summer (up to 5km outdoors, depending on the day and the tide) but just dip in the winter. That's a good place to start- just going in, getting wet and spending a little while mincing about. Often gives me exactly the same mental boost I need.

Another tip if you are going to out into open water is to make sure you get a tow float- makes you visible, is a buoyancy aid if you get tired or into trouble and you can (if you get a waterproof one), keep valuables in it rather than leaving them on the beach/bank etc.

This is all encouraging... I’m not going to be living near open water between august and November, and then I don’t think it’ll be very accessible or clean in New York, so probably a pool is my only option

A lot of the mental health benefits sound like what I get from running, which just speaks to the benefits of doing whatever exercise works for you

It was all going so well :angry:

View attachment 11288

Love a proper post-Covid comeback.

Screenshot_20220814-214810_Strong.jpg

Need to do a de-load week though. Body needs a breather and additional mobility exercises.

I was really struggling on the treadmill to last much longer than 6 minutes at speed 10 or so, so decided to lower the pace to 8.7 and try to do my 20 minutes without breaks to make this distance/time, which to my surprise worked a treat. I'm now managing 3k at this setting. Hoping to progress to 5k and I'll honestly be happy to just keep it at that (5k in hopefully 30 minutes). I may even give doing it outside a bash (:ken:) too as I've worked out a 5k route that's basically a rectangle shaped lap.

Ive been reasonably consistent with the gym the past 6 months but 6 weeks of festivals and camping has really shifted the last of the lockdown weight I wanted to lose.

I paid £200 for my 9 month membership at my local gym the other day. I can’t log into the app that gets me into the gym because I don’t know my SPECIAL PIN number, I haven’t had any emails from the company and the customer service is POINTLESS :argh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom