MOOPY SYNC LISTEN - LADY GAGA - ARTPOP - 8pm Tuesday 16/06

YouTube tried to go into Madame X at the end of the album. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Applause is top drawer Gaga for me. And probably my favourite video as well.

Average score 6.6 which I kinda expected. It's just too cluttered and messy in parts. The big statements get lost in tireless production. There are absolute highs but compared to what we'd been blessed with before they were kinda highs by default, compared to the world beating pop killers on her other albums.

That was the first time that I have listened to this album and it is very much the work of an artist who has recently been granted protection from editors and clearly needed someone to tell them when to dial it back a bit. I'd probably say that the last three songs and the title track were my favourites.

Is this the most successful sync listen so far?

It must be one of them. I always imagined it would get more differing opinions than any of the others we had done.

Now let's guess which drugs she was using.

I don't think anything too hardcore, but really strong weed and some over the counter shit.

I think the reaction to Artpop scarred her so much that we'll probably never get anything really batshit from her again.

Even though any takedown really wasn't a reaction to the actual music at all but more of a post-BTW fall from grace.

Is this the most successful sync listen so far?
The Sensual World got the most posts but I think they listened to Director's Cut immediately afterwards to hear the reworked versions. Blackout and The Visitors got more than 300 posts and Ray of Light very nearly that many.

If octy wants it back on Sunday I assume we're going with Protection.

If she's still on a break I say let's pass that one over until she's back, and head for one of the other Sunday suggestions. I'd love to do Ten Love Songs as someone suggested.

If octy wants it back on Sunday I assume we're going with Protection.

If she's still on a break I say let's pass that one over until she's back, and head for one of the other Sunday suggestions. I'd love to do Ten Love Songs as someone suggested.
Oh lovely. I'll be there for that but I can't see it being a post rake.

It was more 'generally favourable' than 'mostly fine', wasn't it? And I'm sure it was the poorest reviews of her career that far.

Artpop got mostly fine reviews and the first two singles were very well received.

Well the music and her general levels of unbearable as a persona reaching fever pitch.

She was well on a downward trend in terms of public opinion by the time the Born This Way era came to an end so I don’t buy that the negativity around ARTPOP was just because it “wasn’t Born This Way.”

Well the music and her general levels of unbearable as a persona reaching fever pitch.

She was well on a downward trend in terms of public opinion by the time the Born This Way era came to an end so I don’t buy that the negativity around ARTPOP was just because it “wasn’t Born This Way.”
But that's not what I said.

At the start of Born This Way the backlash was beginning. By the end it was in full swing and coming into Artpop a lot of the press was already really negative. It was wacky outfit fatigue, it was her vomiting paint on stage, it wasn't the music as such.

Applause actually hung around the charts (Hot 100 anyway) pretty well despite that which suggests the music was far less a problem for people than everything else around it.

Artpop is really quite an achievement. God bless Gaga. We're not worthy of a sequel though.

The only thing I have to really add to this is that Venus still is an absolute moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom