MOOPY SYNC LISTEN - LADY GAGA - ARTPOP - 8pm Tuesday 16/06

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
A reverse Warholian masterpiece? An irony free embrace of pop's ultimate superfluousness? Some self hating splenetic old nonsense VoR said once seven years ago? This ARTPOP could be anything.

Last edited:
Easing myself in with some prime tracks from Fame Monster and Born This Way.

Hang on is there a Princess Diana tribute in Dance in the Dark?

How have I missed this!

Youtube link (I've not checked it, but it's the same length as the album on Spotify)

I've been hammering every album (except Cheek To Cheek, obvs) for the last couple of weeks in anticipation.

I haven’t listened to this in full since the year it came out. I had a truncated version that worked for me.

I feel it may really suffer from losing Do What U Want in the middle.

I wonder if anyone has ever listened to Cheek to Cheek?

I know I haven't.

I haven’t listened to this in full since the year it came out. I had a truncated version that worked for me.

Pretty sure I haven't either.

I can't help but worry I'm still going to find a lot of it unlistenable tuneless noise, but i fully intend to be open minded.

I can't help but worry I'm still going to find a lot of it unlistenable tuneless noise, but i fully intend to be open minded.

Listening to most of the ARTPOP apologists on here I’d almost believe that the fact it’s unlistenable tuneless noise is the main selling point.

Well, I'm here but I would not regard the chances of my getting through the whole thing as high. This intro is not fucking helping.

It does, massively.

I can't listen with this tonight but I will play along with Aura because it's the proverbial TITTIES!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

B4f9YH-CMAAQyNv.jpg

I assume she was completely stoned for the recording of this and the decision to make it track 1. The chorus doesn't do much does it?

Some of the lyrics on this song she would be torn to pieces for in 2020.

"You want to pity me 'cos, was arranged one man to love...
But in the bedroom the size of him's MORE THAN ENOUGH"

Oh GAGS :D

I assume she was completely stoned for the recording of this and the decision to make it track 1. The chorus doesn't do much does it?
Rumour is she actually wanted it to be the LEAD SINGLE :D back when it was called Burqa (you can listen to that demo version on Youtube). So fair to say she was on more than weed.

I'm not sure if I have reached a chorus yet.

I actually think Aura is one of the highlights! It manages to combine the new batshit stoner Gags with a pretty serviceable hooky chorus.

See also Venus. I’d have been happy with a whole album of these.

the "touch me cosmic lover / peek underneath the cover" melody is quite divine and I really enjoy the build up followed by that drop.

The outro SLAMS! "ART. POP." :disco:

9/10

Honestly, I quite like Aura, even if it has a WHIFF of orientalism about it. Problematic fave

I remember my then 6 year old nephew knowing all the words to 'Venus' because my sister is a LITTLE MONSTER and played it in the car :disco:

She really needed to go another direction production wise to make it work. Venus is a slight step up.

Wasn’t there an even more unhinged early version of Aura that leaked where she just repeated “Burka” several times in the chorus?

I have always enjoyed the instrumental of Aura a lot. In fact, most of this album has BANGING instrumentals.

I kind of agree with whoever said Venus has like 9 choruses. It's just unfortunate that only 2 of them are very good.

This is kind of the anti-Judas... the buildup to both choruses sound like they’re going somewhere different but the chorus of this saves the song rather than ruining it.

At the time I remember she hyped the fact that Venus was co-produced by an unnamed new female collaborator :o which was, of course, Gags herself.

"GARDEN PANTY."

More than Aura this song really suffers from the gulf in quality between the phoned-in verses and the bridge/chorus. "When you touch me I die..." :disco:

Venus is better. Catchier chorus and less cacophanously misjudged in the verses. I'm still not sure that it's really doing much of interest, though.

I'm glad she included CANCELLED former planet PLUTO. Always supporting the underdog.

Wasn’t there an even more unhinged early version of Aura that leaked where she just repeated “Burka” several times in the chorus?
It was identical save for the fact that every "aura" line was "behind the burqa" I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom