Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 6 - Malta, Portugal, Bulgaria & Hungary RESULTS

Whilst Origo is my favourite Hungarian entry this is an absolute 12455/10 :disco::disco:

It would have been even BETTER if she could hit a fucking note of it!

1st: NOX - Forogj, világ! (191pts)

give or take a Kati Wolf - probably the best Hungarian entry of them all.
Excuse me, the jury of best ever Hungarian entries gave the championship to AWS by eleventy million points. Yes, the jury of best ever Hungarian entries did consist of just me and ButterTart, why do you ask?

5th: Kaffe - Loreen (10pts)
hqdefault.jpg

"I mean I guess it's a bit camp? It's not good though" - Susan Sontag, 'Notes On "Camp"' (1964)

What is to be said about this toss? I'm aghast it got as many as 49 points in the 2005 semi really. Anyway, 10 points marks it out as the second worst finisher so far, between Cipela and Las Vegas.

1 x 4 (@Suomi)
14 x 0 (@Penelope, @win_the_game, @auretz, @Pingu, @ButterTart, @VoR, @Tisch, @Music, @David 5000, @Ill Advised, @Kratz, @Diddy, @Broomhelga, @krang)

Excuse me, the jury of best ever Hungarian entries gave the championship to AWS by eleventy million points. Yes, the jury of best ever Hungarian entries did consist of just me and ButterTart, why do you ask?
Up until today I didn't even know Hungary had done any other songs.

natfinals said:
The winner was chosen by televoting and SMS voting although the final results are only known for the top 2 songs - the other results presented below are those that were on screen 10 minutes before the voting ended. Slavi Trifonov & Sofi Marinova refused to perform as they believed that the voting was fixed in favour of Kaffe.

:D/:disco:

The 2005 National Final had Nina Nikolina who had some hype to win only to crash out early in the semi-final after giving a half-assed performance and MEGA half-bored ropey vocals, with glass eyes to go with it. :(/:D

4th: Mariana Popova - Let Me Cry (68pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

"The spirit of camp, probably, is embodied in a bleached bear in a sarong on backing singer duties" - Susan-Claire Sontag, 'Notes on "Camp"' (1964)

Let's be honest, this is a fairly dull ballad that's all about ONE star turn and ONE star turn only - Roma queen AZIS :disco:

azis.gif

Frankly, I'm aghast they haven't brought her back for a solo go yet.

eeb0d503d6174550974db789f907e7f5.jpg

1 x 12 (@win_the_game)
2 x 0 (@dmlaw, @Kevin7)

3rd: Deep Zone & Balthazar - DJ, Take Me Away (120pts)
the-band-deep-zone-balthazar-who-is-representing-bulgaria-performs-D4EWPY.jpg

"The hallmark of camp is the spirit of extravagance. Camp is a woman walking around in a dress made of three million feathers." - Susan Sontag, 'Notes on "Camp"' (1964)

Favoured on the way into the 2008 contest, with Bulgaria on a clubby little run post-Elitsa & Stoyan's star turn the year prior, this sadly had to make way in its semi, finishing eleventh in the wake of the Charlotte Perrelli juggernaut that saw her receive every single point awarded that year (DJ, Take Me Away finished 11th after backup juries were forced to award points as if Hero were not in the semi-final).

A passingly charming curio, this was subject to my favourite comment during the voting from @krang, who remarked that there was "something very medieval about these Bulgarian entries - especially DJ, Take Me Away" :D

12 x 5 (@Pingu, @Music, @David 5000, @Diddy, @RJN)
2 x 0 (@Suomi, @ZenGiraffe)

2nd: Elvira ft. Krassimir Avramov - Illusion (139pts)
card.JPG

Krassimir Avramov, pictured pulling focus

"The hallmark of camp is the spirit of Elvira ft. Krassimir Avramov - Illusion. Omg have you ever seen it? It's soooo good. Literally Youtube it right now it's absolutely incredible. Please also make sure you know the NEAREST defibrillator, I can't begin to tell you how badly this has gone for some of the girls who didn't" - Susan Sontag, 'Notes on "Camp"' (1964)

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 22.49.01.png

What is there to say about one of the most iconic entries in the modern history of the contest? I will say that, watching it in retrospect, it's surprising how much of the performance Elvira hands over to Krassimir Avramov, considering how much her career had been leading up to this moment - though surely testament to how gracious and tastefully reserved a professional performer she has always been.

Like most Europeans, I spent the entirety of this performance with my jaw in my lap, before being left passed out and lightly drooling by the piéce de resistance that was the stilt performers deciding to twirl each other at the apex of the piece. The power of this performance hasn't dimmed despite the passage of a decade, and the little touches like that that brought the contest to Sofia for 2010 will still surely shock and enthrall for decades to come. Really, I'm just aghast it didn't win here too.

4 x 12 (@Penelope, @Kratz, @ZenGiraffe, @Kevin7)
2 x 0 (@Queen of the Bay, @Soldi :rolleyes:)

The platonic ideal of Eurovision train wreck performances. The moment when the stilt dancers start swinging insanely just as Elvira opts to SIEZE THE MOMENT just sends me, every single time.

I think Bulgaria had like 12 or 13 shows in their National Final and so ended up on Krassimir. :D/:disco:

Love Elvira and Sarah Brightman's attempts to snatch the attention and stage. :disco:

I have fond memories of @krang relaying a story of Krassimir being caught up in some kind of high camp police raid in his apartment and screeching out something like ”You can’t arrest me! It is I! Krassimir, THE VOICE!”
:D!!!

1st: Elitsa & Stoyan - Water (188pts)
eliza_stoyan1-e1360491482331.jpg

Oh go on then. Though this has absolutely nothing on the high-grade batshittery of their follow-up Samo shampioni for me, as pre-Renaissance Bulgarian entries go this is probably objectively by far their peak. Riding the screams all the way to a top 5 finish in Helsinki, Elitsa & Stoyan also rack up a 49 point margin here, and grab the Bulgarian ticket to the Moopyvision 00s semi-finals over Elvira and Krassimir.

11 x 12 (@auretz, @Suomi, @Queen of the Bay, @ButterTart, @Soldi, @VoR, @Tisch, @Ill Advised, @Broomhelga, @dmlaw, @krang)
1 x 0 (@RJN - "the gargling noise, or whatever it is at 1:38, is just so terrible")

A Voda win today nicely sets up a Vodka win tomorrow.

Reactions: VoR
2nd: Elvira ft. Krassimir Avramov - Illusion (139pts)
card.JPG

Krassimir Avramov, pictured pulling focus

"The hallmark of camp is the spirit of Elvira ft. Krassimir Avramov - Illusion. Omg have you ever seen it? It's soooo good. Literally Youtube it right now it's absolutely incredible. Please also make sure you know the NEAREST defibrillator, I can't begin to tell you how badly this has gone for some of the girls who didn't" - Susan Sontag, 'Notes on "Camp"' (1964)

View attachment 7623

What is there to say about one of the most iconic entries in the modern history of the contest? I will say that, watching it in retrospect, it's surprising how much of the performance Elvira hands over to Krassimir Avramov, considering how much her career had been leading up to this moment - though surely testament to how gracious and tastefully reserved a professional performer she has always been.

Like most Europeans, I spent the entirety of this performance with my jaw in my lap, before being left passed out and lightly drooling by the piéce de resistance that was the stilt performers deciding to twirl each other at the apex of the piece. The power of this performance hasn't dimmed despite the passage of a decade, and the little touches like that that brought the contest to Sofia for 2010 will still surely shock and enthrall for decades to come. Really, I'm just aghast it didn't win here too.

4 x 12 (@Penelope, @Kratz, @ZenGiraffe, @Kevin7)
2 x 0 (@Queen of the Bay, @Soldi :rolleyes:)

Less of the EYE ROLLING please Penelope! I liked ALL of the Bulgarian songs, even whatever shit this was.

10th: Lynn Chircop - To Dream Again (51pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

@Diddy WRONG that a woman wouldn't come last here!

God, imagine being a popstar called Lynn. Anyway, after the wild success of 7th Wonder the year prior, Malta clearly decided twee was the way forward and sent this Barbra Streisand Febreze advert to the hypercompetitive 2003 contest, before promptly getting mown down like a toddler at a Chiara cruise ship buffet and coming second last with just four points (three from the Irish jury and one from the Portuguese viewers). Lynn, unsurprisingly, has never been heard from again, but to be fair we haven't spoken ever since I killed her dog.

1 x 12 (@Suomi)
6 x 0 (@ButterTart, @VoR, @Diddy, @dmlaw, @ZenGiraffe, @RJN)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom