Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 7 - Turkey, Denmark, Belarus & Georgia RESULTS

7th: Mor ve Ötesi - Deli (75pts)
mv%C3%B6.jpg

That 4th place finish for Athena really gave the Turks a most unbecoming habit of being the foremost purveyors of rock - even moreso than the Finns! - in the international annual jamboree of camp before their eventual bow out of it. However, much as it displeased a horde of gays each time they revisited this particular well, more often than not it usually paid off, typically cornering the market with aplomb and riding it all the way to the top ten (or sometimes even further, in the case of MaNga).

So it was too with Deli in 2008, which illustrated just how much of a high floor/middling ceiling niche it was counting on at each stage by finishing 7th both in its semi and in the final. I actually have a sneaking regard for this one as it goes - if nothing else, it at least has the decency to bring along a nice big chorus and a semi-dishy second guitarist. Can't say I'm too annoyed to have missed out on another decade of stuff of this ilk though!

1 x 10 (@Diddy)
2 x 0 (@Suomi, @Kevin7)

Last edited:
6th: Pınar Ayhan & Grup SOS - Yorgunum anla (77pts)
images

On paper, there's something almost endearing about Turkey in their pre-Sertab "WTF is a chorus" years. Or at least, that's what I always think until I have to go through an 80s contest. I will say this for Yorgunum anla - even though it's very 'background music at Chiquitos that sounds like at least one of the band is having a stroke', it is at least somewhat memorable by Turkey-not-even-bothering-to-tailor-themselves-to-the-rest-of-Europe era standards, even if I have no idea how anybody could conceive of voting for this while not being Turkish themselves.

1 x 12 (@win_the_game - yes, I do think it's time for an intervention)
1 x 1 (@ButterTart)

The problem with Turkey is that their rock entries were inevitably of the dullest, straightest kind, wheras at least the Finns have the decency to be camp as tits.

5th: Buket Bengisu & Grup Safir - Leylaklar soldu kalbinde (78pts)
IMG_4254.jpg

Utterly obsessed with her HORSEFACED JOY while she frugs away through the intro of this :D Sadly, as the last evidence in the fossil record before Turkey discovered the art of a banging pop chorus, that's basically all there is to write home about here - although the dob-a-dob-a-dob-a-dob bit at least makes an attempted stab at memorability, albeit one that immediately goes back into endless goose chase verses basically every single time. Buket Bengisu later took out a restraining order against @Suomi, citing fears for her copyright and general safety

2 x 10 (@Suomi, @win_the_game)
1 x 0 (@Queen of the Bay)

4th: Gülseren - Rimi rimi ley (114pts)
IMG_4136-500x282.png

Eleni Foureira - J'ACCUSE!

Billed as a return to Turkey's traditional roots following two years of entries that eschewed the usual national playbook and the success of more 'ethnic' entries at the 2004 contest - and scoring all manner of catty comments from Sertab at the time - this went on to more or less prove Sertab completely right, ending up as one of just two right-hand side finishes for Turkey during the decade, despite bringing along plenty of appeal for the fans (after all no strangers to the idea that there's no rimi rimi without the ley :horny:)

That said, it could make good claim to be sorely hard done by in not being offered at least a re-do at the end of the proceedings, with a technical error leading to the Moldovan entry audibly being played in the background for a good chunk of the first minute onstage - although unkinder observers have been known to comment that the thing sounded like enough of a dog's dinner in the first place that barely any viewers probably noticed either way on the night.

2 x 12 (@Madison, @ZenGiraffe)
1 x 0 (@auretz)

3rd: Sibel Tüzün - Süper Star (134pts)
Shutterstock_8265737a.jpg

OMG OMG OMG this HOT GAY TRASH :D

Much can be said about Turkey's sole decision this century to go disco (particularly unkindly with regards to the vocals). What I will say is that the second this was entered, it probably became inevitable that at some point a religious authoritarian like Erdoğan would attempt someday to withdraw Turkey from the contest to stem the tide of overpowering homosexuality that befell a generation of young Turks that viewed this performance. For that we can only truly be grateful, especially as they were mostly sending rock by the end anyway.

2 x 12 (@Penelope, @Pingu)
2 x 2 (@dmlaw, @Haiku)

On stage, Tüzün was accompanied by four British dancers: Arthur Gourounlian, Glenn Ball, James Robinson and Scott Marshall

About as ungoogleable as you can GET for two/probably three of those, but get to it on the Instas boys and see what you can find :basil:

During lockdown work gave us access to some exercise platform that I think had Glenn Ball running classes on it.

2nd: Hadise - Düm tek tek (153pts)
hadise-representing-turkey-in-the-2009-eurovision-song-contest-performs-D4KPK4.jpg

I used to essentially consider this to be a Eurobanger in its lowest form, but I'll admit that I've warmed to this with time - a decade of this stuff (for better or worse) being pared back from the contest and being replaced by the likes of Nobody But You as the more dominant sound in its upper reaches will do that to you.

Even past that though, I've come to appreciate this one for just how ludicrous the lyrics are ("No ONE can KISS LIKE YOU DO/as IF it's YOUR PROFESSION" - how many PROFESSIONAL KISSERS has Hadise MET?!), and also, if we're being real, because there's a reason this has LIVED ON as a staple in ropey regional gay bars for a solid decade since: say what you will about the then-dubbed 'pig in a sari' and her transparent non-attempt to even sing any of it past the halfway mark - that chorus does NOT QUIT!

3 x 12 (@Ill Advised, @Kevin7, @dmlaw)
2 x 3 (@Suomi, @Madison)

1st: Sertab Erener - Every Way That I Can (200pts)
96165.jpg

turkey.jpeg

Turkey prior to the 2003 Eurovision Song Contest (Sertab Erener also pictured)

I can defend the 2002 contest. I'll also admit that, over the course of the last seven rounds, I've developed more of a sneaking appreciation for the 2001 contest - one I've traditionally cut pretty short shrift. But in entire honesty, the Eurovision Song Contest needed a good kick up the arse by the time 2003 rolled around. And while Every Way That I Can was by no means the only entry to do so that year, in similar vein to Loreen almost a decade later, Sertab Erener grabbed the contest by the hair and dragged it with full force into a new decade, setting the template for the rest of it whether people liked it or not.

People liked it. You only have to look at the winners before Sertab and the winners after to see how much of an imprint she left on the contest and the change she ushered in (helped along by an expansion of the contest to welcome more eastern nations). Before: the likes of the Olsen Brothers, Tanel Padar and Marie N. Light Saturday night entertainment fare. Afterwards: Ruslana, Helena Paparizou, Lordi. Huge, stadium-rocking party tracks with ethnic appeal/an ugly singer. Even Loreen couldn't claim to have left such an unmistakable stamp on the contest. And all that from performing from fourth slot on the night. Honestly - WHAT a fucking contest 2003 was :disco:

Imagine if they'd never done the Special Bubbling Remix and just sent the album track! :basil:

10 x 12 (@Soldi, @VoR, @ButterTart, @Suomi, @auretz, @David 5000, @Haiku, @Diddy, @Music, @Tisch)
1 x 6 (@win_the_game)

Which leaves us with the following after Round 7 out of 12 - nearly two-thirds of the way through! Still nothing from 2004, but we get second entries for 2003 and 2005, a third for 2007, and 2000 tots up its fourth to take silver position so far for most entries behind 2006.

Round 1
Former former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: XXL - 100% te ljubam (2000)
Sweden: Charlotte Perrelli - Hero (2008)
United Kingdom: Jessica Garlick - Come Back (2002)

Round 2
Estonia: Urban Symphony - Rändajad (2009)
Germany: Texas Lightning - No No Never (2006)
Poland: Ich Troje feat. Real McCoy - Follow My Heart (2006)

Round 3
Belgium: Kate Ryan - Je t'adore (2006)
Romania: Mihai Trăistariu - Tornerò (2006)
Russia: Alsou - Solo (2000)

Round 4
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Hari Mata Hari - Lejla (2006)
France: Natasha St-Pier - Je n'ai que mon âme (2001)
Ireland: Sinead Mulvey & Black Daisy - Et cetera (2009)

Round 5
Croatia: Claudia Beni - Više nisam tvoja (2003)
Latvia: Brainstorm - My Star (2000)
Montenegro: Andrea Demirović - Just Get Out of My Life (2009)
Serbia: Marija Šerifović - Molitva (2007)

Round 6
Bulgaria: Elitsa & Stoyan - Water (2007)
Hungary: NOX - Forogj, világ! (2005)
Malta: Ira Losco - 7th Wonder (2002)
Portugal: Vânia Fernandes - Senhora do mar (2008)

Round 7
Belarus: Angelica Agurbash - Love Me Tonight (2005)
Denmark: The Olsen Brothers - Fly on the Wings of Love (2000)
Georgia: Sopho Khalvashi - Visionary Dream (2007)
Turkey: Sertab Erener - Every Way That I Can (2003)

2000: 4
2001: 1
2002: 2
2003: 2
2004: 0
2005: 2
2006: 5
2007: 3
2008: 2
2009: 3

Andra chansen gets a fifth entry from 2009 - drawing equal with 2003 - and also gets a third entry apiece from 2002 and 2004, and a second entry from 2008. Best of luck Diana! :basil:

Round 1
Former former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Karolina - Mojot svet (2007)
Sweden: Carola - Invincible (2006)
United Kingdom: Nicki French - Don't Play That Song Again (2000)

Round 2
Estonia: Sahlene - Runaway (2002)
Germany: Lou - Let's Get Happy (2003)
Poland: Isis Gee - For Life (2008)

Round 3
Belgium: Xandee - 1 Life (2004)
Romania: Nicole - Don't Break My Heart (2003)
Russia: t.A.T.u. - Ne ver ne boysia (2003)

Round 4
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Regina - Bistra voda (2009)
France: Sandrine François - Il faut du temps (2002)
Ireland: Mickey Joe Harte - We've Got The World (2003)

Round 5
Croatia: Severina - Moja štikla (2006)
Latvia: F.L.Y. - Hello From Mars (2003)
Montenegro: No Name - Zauvijek moja (2005)
Serbia: Željko Joksimović - Lane moje (2004)

Round 6
Bulgaria: Krassimir Avromov - Illusion (2009)
Hungary: Zoli Adok - Dance With Me (2009)
Malta: Chiara - Angel (2005)
Portugal: Flor-de-lis - Todas as ruas do amor (2009)

Round 7
Belarus: Aleksandra & Konstantin - My Galileo (2004)
Denmark: Malene - Tell Me Who You Are (2002)
Georgia: Diana Gurtskaya - Peace Will Come (2008)
Turkey: Hadise - Düm tek tek (2009)

2000: 1
2001: 1
2002: 3
2003: 5
2004: 3
2005: 2
2006: 2
2007: 1
2008: 2
2009: 5

I suspect we might not get a DTF from the 2004 contest. Ukraine and Albania look the most likely remaining contenders and they’d both have to see off some very strong opposition to make it.

DQ later went on to much more worthwhile affairs, effectively serving as the journalistic compere during rehearsals fortnight at Eurovision 2014, and I'm sure @VoR and @Pingu have much more interesting tales to tell about how much of a bitch she was to Kala during the whole thing :disco:
I would have some great footage of my first ever night at Eurovision where I sang a karaoke duet with DQ had that bitter harpy @VoR not deleted the video from his phone in a jealous rage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom