Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 3: Czech Republic, Malta & Serbia

Loved Warrior in a total Survivor understudy way, but yeah, can't say I've really GONE BACK TO IT at all the last five years.

Amusingly she seems to have completely disappeared off the face of the earth since :D

Vodka whore MORENA also appears to have done nothing since. Perhaps they’re SWIFTLY EXECUTED upon return for shaming the nation although you could argue that the shame generally starts during the selection process :disco:

I think one of my favourite subplots of 2012 was how utterly blatantly Kurt Calleja and Can Bonomo (for Turkey) spent the entire season fucking, introducing him in near every interview as MY GOOD (GAY) FRIEND CAN BONOMO :disco:

Of course, he now looks SOME DISTANCE into his forties

3rd: Christabelle - Taboo (115pts)

wsi-imageoptim-Christabelle-Eurovision-2018-first-rehearsal-6.jpg

Blimey, they look to have spent an absolute fortune on this one - although as Penelope pointed out to me yesterday, it is also the sort of thing that potentially reeks of money laundering. NOT THAT THEY'D EVER. :eyes:

Anyway, Christabelle was another perennial Maltese national final bridesmaid who finally got given her shot, and with a fairly on-trend track too. Ultimately, despite their best efforts I think the song just isn't quite memorable enough, and as is often the way with Malta, Christa herself seemed more like an enthusiastic amateur than the star that such an elaborate performance probably needed.

1 x 12 (Ill Advised)
1 x 1pt (Pingu)

Reactions: Zu
I guess it is quite SUNNY and a fair proportion of them will be at least partially ethnically English, which is potentially quite an ageing combination.

:D

Thank god it wasn't our choice of hols then, lest we lop off a few years from our (probably short lived as it is) lives.

So it's QUEEN OF MY HEART IRA LOSCO vs Michela and her Dua Lipa tribute.

Has there EVER been a popstar as objectively crap as Christabelle with SUCH an unrivalled commitment to serving?

NO! :disco:

You could definitely use “enthusiastic amateur” to describe almost ALL Maltese entrants :side-eye:

I think my favourite thing about Christabelle (OTHER than the aforementioned star power) is how she simultaneously looks UTTERLY THICK and like a Maltese Baga Chipz

Reactions: Zu
2nd: Ira Losco - Walk On Water (151pts)

Screenshot_15.png

Much was anticipated of Malta's leading pop icon Ira Losco when she returned to the Contest that she was robbed of winning back in 2002. Possibly a little top much, though Walk On Water is probably Malta's most high-end Eurovision package of this decade, being a chart-ready modern pop track performed by somebody who didn't appear to have been drafted in from the temping pool a few days before.

I love it, obviously, but its middling result makes sense, as it's another that's more "That was another good one :)" than "YASS QUEEN SLAY ME!"

Still, she ended a respectable 12th and got a baby out of it, so all's well that ends well.

4 x 12pts (Win_The_Game, Suomi, Superstylin', VoR)
Lowest score: 2 (sewerynsven)

WINNER: Michela - Chameleon (174pts)

michela-eurovision.jpg

Another one that the Maltese evidently poured a fair whack of cash onto - they clearly thought they had a winner here. You can understand why too, as Dua Lipa pastiches go this is flawlessly executed and really quite the on-trend banger.

15th on the night was a disappointment, but yet again poor Michela herself didn't exactly scream global megastar in waiting. It's good enough for Moopy though, and deservedly so. This has held up really well from the class of 2019 for me.

10 x 12pts (Ag, Pingu, sewerynsven, David_5000, Kevin7, Dark Carnival, Jacques, Kalabaliken, Kevin, Raining On Me)
Lowest score: 3 (Win_The_Game)

The main issue I have with Walk On Water is I keep expecting the chorus to go into Charlotte Perrelli - Bullet meaning it can ONLY EVER DISAPPOINT

God love a bit of Chameleon though. Yet ANOTHER one from the Maltese stables that doesn't at all smell like a cover for money laundering :eyes:

Now Chameleon IS good. Ish. I think 15th was about right for it and frankly after a decade of torture Malta should be grateful.

Maybe it'll be the hot new destination in the SEARING TWENTIES where we can all go, have a fabulously shit time and come home 30 years older than when we arrived :disco:

Steel yourself @ButterTart - we're going into Serbia :disco:

9th: Nevena Božović - Kruna (63pts)

serbia-2019-nevena-bozovic-4.jpg

The first of two appearances for Neneva - she was also a member of Moje 3 in 2013 - this is pretty much your standard dramatic Balkan ballad. Nowt wrong with it, but in an interesting batch of songs this is easily the one with the lowest standout factor. 18th in the finals last year felt just. I frequently forgot it was even there.

Sorry luv.

Highest score: 10 (Penelope)
2 x 0 pts (Win_The_Game, Jacques)

Last edited:
WORSE than SHELTER my FLAMING FOOF!

I don't CARE if it COULD HAVE BEEN THE SAME FIVE, TEN, ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO. That emo Barbie made my HEART WEEP!

8th: Nina - Caroban (72pts)

24-serbia_1895096i.jpg

Shades of L*l* to this colourful retro number, which was enthusiastically performed and energetically choreographed, but perhaps a wee bit empty as a song.

Still, it did fairly well and she seemed like she has having a good time, which always helps on numbers like this. I believe she now lives in Australia.

1 x 10pts (sewerynsven)
2 x 0pts (Superstylin', Zu Klara)

Passably charming but not much more.

Now we're REALLY going to fall out if Shelter isn't up next

Poor Nevena :D

Absolutely stunning, stunning woman and what a vocal but this is Serbia of the 10s - there's a LOT to compete with, love

You might have to wait a while though, Captain. I’m predicting TOP THREE

*comes seventh*

7th: Željko Joksimović - Nije Ljubav Stvar (75pts)

Zeljko-Joksimovic-Eurosong.jpg

Much like Sergey Lazarev's entry from last year, this feels like a strange 3rd placer in retrospect. It has much more the vibe of a disappointing second go-around in the vein of Kaliopi, Alexander Rybak and inevitably Eleni Foureira. Except it actually did really well.

I can only assume the Balkan diaspora showed out in droves, as he is one of the biggest stars in the region, and his near-win in 2004 with the superior Lane Moje is evidently still seen as a major moment of national pride for Serbia.

As BBBs of the 2010s go, give me Adio any day of the week.

2 x 10pts (Alla, Suomi)
2 x 0pts (Raining on Me, Dark Carnival)

Oh you have GOT to be joking

REALLY? That THREE MINUTES of HATCHET-FACED YELLING and S&M DIRGE was BETTER than Zeljko ONCE AGAIN bringing it to you every ball?!?

You people make me SICK

@ButterTart’s unquenched lust for a bubbly bobbing blond bowl-cut Balkan coming out as unpleasantness there I’m afraid girls :tongueout:

Also, deaf and blind indeed. We all know it’s a forum for the HOPELESSLY BEWILDERED!

Oh GOD I forgot to incorporate BOTTOM into the alliterationfest

6th: Sanja Vučić ZAA - Goodbye (Shelter) (78pts)

Sanja+Vucic+Eurovision+Song+Contest+2016+Final+QsUX8vhxbaxl.jpg

And breathe @Penelope :basil:

Fairly forgettable fare fronted by a faintly irritating fag haggy type who appeared to be labouring under the misapprehension that she was the star of the show, when in reality the gays had already sworn fealty en masse to lovely Zoë from Austria that year.

Also denied queen Kaliopi from her second finals appearance by finishing 10th in the same Semi final. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

1 x 12 (Win The Game)
3 x 0s (Penelope, Suomi, VoR)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom