mrs america (blanchett, feminism & politics in 70s america)

ameraal

la loi de murphy
new hbo series starring cate (as a republican activist against the equal rights act) alongside sarah paulson, elizabeth banks, (character actress) margo martindale, uzo aduba, rose byrne, tracey ullman, jeanne tripplehorn, phew, etc.

may contain traces of "second-wave feminists Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, Shirley Chisholm, Bella Abzug and Jill Ruckelshaus".

just been through the first episode. not quite sold yet but it kept my interest and cate is quite wonderful.

It’s an FX/Hulu series.

I plan on starting it this weekend, they dropped 3 episodes.

oh that's right. my hbo go carries those so i always lump those to be hbo productions.

Apparently it's coming to BBC so I look forward to watching this in 2022.

I have to watch this. the American aristocrat accent is everything

I’ll watch Cate and Rose Byrne in anything.

loved Byrne in Damages (what a show!) but I've been less enthusiastic in other productions

I think she’s got great range, she was hilarious in Bridesmaids and Spy. She and Chris Messina were doing a production of Madea which I would have loved to see.

four episodes in and i'm quite enjoying this show. i can't say i know anything about the movement and i read a piece the other day claiming shlafly was a whole lot less multi-dimensional than the show's portrayal but it isn't a documentary so no surprise.

aduba seems to be getting good notices but i think i like ullman best.

enjoying it too! the actors are great, the herstory surrounding it is very interesting (omg they're all on wikipedia!)

poor Aduba/Chisholm :(

this last episode :disco:

from the car scene with Paulson's hair all curled up to her eating horizontally to Byrne slow-moing down the hall to Donna Summer

now give 'em hell, Phyllis!

This is very much on the BBC iPlayer now. Binged it over two days. Fantastic stuff and WHAT a cast!

May start this tonight. May not.

It's really good. I would highly recommend.

Great performances all round, and the set design is STUN. It's also nice to see Sarah Paulson get to give her vocal cords a rest in a SCREAM FREE performance.

Well I have finished Secret She Keeps and I May Destroy You so i'll give this a go next then

It's really good. I would highly recommend.

Great performances all round, and the set design is STUN. It's also nice to see Sarah Paul's on get to give her vocal cords a rest in a SCREAM FREE performance.
Yes the 70s vibe was immaculate. The sets, the outfits and even the lighting were spot on.

I wondered for a while if it was made by the same people as Mad Men.

From the synopsis I thought this was going to be overly-earnest and worthy but I decided to give it a go.

OMG it’s SO FUN and dare I say it - campy at points. I’m only on ep 3, but Cate Blanchett steals every single scene she’s in - I’m assuming an unravelling happens at some point :disco:

The cast is STACKED too. I didn’t even realise Crazy Eyes and the Hunger Games woman were in it until i went on wikipedia :D

If you liked Big Little Lies, you’ll definitely love this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom